Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:31 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,263 times

Advertisements

And now for its huge next-door neighbor (it neighbors Clintonville and East Campus in addition to ONC): Linden. It's one of many, this-shouldn't-be-that-bad-of-a-neighborhood neighborhoods. I didn't take pictures of blood/crip tags and there was a run-down building in one of the few commercial strips left were an entrance was dimly lit and a guy wearing all red and black was manning the door: I joked to my friends that we should ask him what's inside.

South Linden

MAP

Much too car-oriented and on top of that the retail spaces are designed for offices (so stupid) when they should be designed for destinations (restaurants, bars,etc) or retail. Needless to say, this poor design hasn't improved surrounding areas.

Yay retail!

Heading up here there was religious music being which later turned into fire and brimstone screeching, "The only thing worse than going to hell is going to hell with your children and your grandchildren!!!" Just what the neighborhood needs: religious fanaticism. Forget about education, that's not what's seriously needed here.

I stopped in on the way back (the woman screaming about damnation was an interesting contrast to the Caribbean music in the restaurant).

The jerk chicken and festival (lightly sweet fried dough) was tasty and I chatted a bit with a couple of the friendly employees there who are in fact Jamaican. I was even given a taste of the oxtail which was even better than the chicken. I should have asked about the increase in a Caribbean presence on Cleveland Ave. It's too bad that native locals who were here before them haven't done as much to improve the street in comparison.

Poor mural.

Probably doing more harm than good.

Sprawl makes everything better. Right? Right?

The skinniest sidewalk in Columbus?

I used to work with the original owner: let me tell you: she can cook, but I believe her when she said it was just too much for her to handle alone day in, day out, especially considering you can count the number of good restaurants in Linden on one hand. She was surprised I had even been in the neighborhood, let alone ride my bike around there. Without abandon, I might add.

Wait a minute; what exactly is open during these hours?

Bonus Hamilton Ave pics!

Failed attempt at traffic calming. The whole stretch is very awkward on a bike with vague painted lines suggesting parking, but aren't used so you just feel like you should ride there.

North Linden

MAP

Cleveland Ave starting from the south. This is a cool little building.

Lebanese run?

He's a mechanic.

North Linden has its own Family Dollar too, but this one looks more dingy.

Chicago, Cleveland or Columbus? I can't tell.

Who knew Linden was so much like Paris?

At least the building is being used for something.

I don't think she's going to make it...

Thought I'd sample a little Caribbean food in this well-known Linden restaurant.

After I placed my order I saw these and they're only a $1.75 each.

I got the special soup of the day, red pea soup and a side of coco bread. Ran me $5 and was more filling than I expected. Now I've got two spots in Linden to get my Caribbean fix.

Formerly the restaurant Royal Rasta Redemption which served ital Rastafarian food is now a night spot which may or may not serve food. Anyone been?

Yay! 1st bike rack in Linden: that was me (far bottom right).

New Harvest Cafe is moving the dining area from around the corner to this spot, while the original spot will be more for lounging.

The owner, Kojo, is very active in improving the community and is very easy to chat with. The interior isn't what you'd expect.

Time to browse the menu to sample something here. Luckily I had a paltry breakfast.

I got the turkey meatloaf, greens (they have their own garden), and had to get me a bowl of damn soup. It's still pretty cold out, you know. After talking about the history of the neighborhood and why he chose to live here (it reminds him of Chicago and he couldn't stand living in the burbs east of 270) he encouraged me to check out the garden in the back down the alley.

Before heading down the alley here are a couple of homes next door.

This looks like a typical dumpster, but its solar powered.

No, the garden doesn't have tires in it.

It's over here.

Poor girl got splashed by a wide vehicle driving in the right lane right after I took this. The sidewalks here are narrow and right up against the street.

Another black woman wearing niqab (hijab covers the hair, niqab covers the entire head except the eyes) was curious about why I was taking a picture of this building, so I told her it was for my neighborhood guide. She said it's no longer a carpet place, but a place of worship. I'm guessing a mosque?

Another view. They have gyros at "The City" Market /أسواق المدينة (literally it would be "The City Markets" since أسواق is the plural of سوق/souk/market). Camel meat anyone? Don't worry; it's halal. Hey, how could you resist? I almost bought the "Iraqi bread" too: big as a large pizza. The camel meat was more novelty than anything else, since it came in frozen chunks. The cut, whatever it was, was very,very,very lean. All of our jaws were hurting and there was almost no flavor/fat. In all seriousness, if you're not hitting up the worst neighborhoods in Columbus, you're seriously missing out on the Columbus experience. I can understand young single females having misgivings, but guys have no excuse.

Past the fork in the road you enter sprawl territory.

So now time for a few residential streets. I headed over to traffic circle-lined Dresden and came back down on Bremen. This area is known as Kenwood Park: part of a divide and conquer strategy to reclaim North Linden at least and hopefully will spread to South Linden.

Someone has a serious case of the blues.

Dresden.

Bremen.

Families with kids live here. How about that?

Someone should tell this guy that he's really a Michigan fan and he's just trying to hide it by overcompensating.

Aww. they're so cute together.

Oh, and Google Maps are f*cking LIARS: there is no such place as "East Linden" whether it's the city of Columbus or local residents: that's called "North Central", which is its own large, even more bizarre down-and-out neighborhood that's half urban on the south side and half-suburban-but-with-shootings on the north side.

Last edited by Mplsite; 12-01-2012 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: fixed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Very nice! You went some places I'm afraid to go.

They've cleaned up some of the area I see. When I first moved here, it was much, much worse.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM

32 posts, read 109,462 times
A lot of those ransacked houses in linden are not there anymore. They are revamping the neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM

20 posts, read 37,406 times
:clap: great pics!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,022 times
Crossing bridge going to Powell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)

Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 43,721 times
Really great pictures Mplsite. It's nice especially for me having not seen the city in person yet.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...l#post31193440

A walking tour from Downtown Columbus through the Short North to The OSU campus. Shot 17 Jul 2013

Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,263 times

Testing out the new camera around Downtown.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,354,619 times
Franklinton.

Tibetan Buddhist Center. Does anyone know what the building's history is? Was it originally a church?

Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
[IMG]

<3 614
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus