Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 01:22 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times

Advertisements

Another rec for BHPhoto.com. I've been buying almost all my camera equip and a lot of electronics from them for years. Their prices are usually very competitive and their CS is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 07:15 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Am I missing something? That seems overpriced for a camera that doesn't even have interchangeable lenses?
Yes.
Sony does 4K HDR Video. Sony has Wifi allowing sharing across your network.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes.
Sony does 4K HDR Video. Sony has Wifi allowing sharing across your network.
Let the OP answer. That's who I was asking. I want to know why he prefers the Sony.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:24 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I think F-Blue is a she.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:07 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:

Am I missing something? That seems overpriced for a camera that doesn't even have interchangeable lenses?

This is Nikon's current entry level model, D3500. This is new, not refurb, $600
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d...?skuId=6296213
1" sensor camera, they don't come cheap. I paid about that for my Canon G7X Mk. II. The Sony RX100 is about the same price too. Handy to have when you don't want to carry around the bulk of a DSLR and lenses.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:31 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Quick search brought up Best Buy where you can pay online, pick it up in store or just buy it in store. Advantage to this is you can return it to the store. As long as you get the same price. Your choice. $650
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-zv...?skuId=6415933

And as mentioned as a reputable vendor, B&H Photo. $648 with an accessory kit.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mera_with.html

For $668, Walmart, you can also return to the store BUT this one comes with more stuff. May be the best deal.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-ZV-1...-Kit/279524825

This is Nikon's current entry level model, D3500. This is new, not refurb, $600
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d...?skuId=6296213

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look these up! I tried you rep you, but I guess I had repped you about something before, so it didn't let me. I did run across all this a couple of days ago. I probably will get my 1st choice, the ZV-E10. Sony's always been a good brand...w/ TVs, computers, etc. & I do want the ZV-E10 for its ease in operating, 4K capability, & in doing other research, it's been said the picture clarity is quite crisp, which is the main thing I want. Plus the lens can be changed out (unlike the ZV-1) so it prevents having to quickly upgrade to yet another camera after a short time.

Speaking of high prices, I remember back in 1993-94, my parents got me a Canon for a college photography class I was going to take & that was $600 even way back then. I always thought Nikon to be good, but someone said theirs is s--- although I don't know exactly what model theirs was, but I won't take a chance to see.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks a lot for taking the time to look these up! I tried you rep you, but I guess I had repped you about something before, so it didn't let me. I did run across all this a couple of days ago. I probably will get my 1st choice, the ZV-E10. Sony's always been a good brand...w/ TVs, computers, etc. & I do want the ZV-E10 for its ease in operating, 4K capability, & in doing other research, it's been said the picture clarity is quite crisp, which is the main thing I want. Plus the lens can be changed out (unlike the ZV-1) so it prevents having to quickly upgrade to yet another camera after a short time.

Speaking of high prices, I remember back in 1993-94, my parents got me a Canon for a college photography class I was going to take & that was $600 even way back then. I always thought Nikon to be good, but someone said theirs is s--- although I don't know exactly what model theirs was, but I won't take a chance to see.
You are welcome.

Standards change. Current lineup for DSLR cameras in order of popularity is

#1 Canon
#2 Nikon
#3 Sony

I haven't delved into what would make one better than the other. I'm sure they are all quite capable.

Back in the days of 35mm, I used a Pentax ME Super. Still have it although I don't use it. I loved it and it was highly regarded. Coincidentally my parents also got it for me as a teenager. Canon and Nikon were the biggest back then as well.

I was going on a vacation a few years ago and wanted to have a nice camera. One that took way nicer pictures than a cell phone. I ended up going with the Nikon, entry level but still a very good camera. They make top level stuff, going for thousands of dollars. Some lenses alone cost a small fortune. I am a not pro obviously but I like photography, always have and I am pretty good at it for what it's worth as an amateur. I've seen a lot of pros use Nikon and Canon, opinions vary, pretty sure they wouldn't use them if they were sh_t as someone you know put it.

Top 10 DSLR cameras, according to this web site anyway.
https://www.bestreviews.guide/DSLR-Cameras

Old 11-23-2021, 04:45 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
OP,
read this
https://cameradecision.com/compare/S...Canon-EOS-M200
,dave

Old 11-24-2021, 08:02 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
I agree -- B&H and Adorama...providing you are expert enough that you're not going to need in-store assistance.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:40 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Nikon is most certainly not sh*t haha. You can buy garbage Nikons to be sure, but you can buy garbage from any brand. Cameras are one of those things where you 100% get what you pay for. Spend $100, you're going to get $100 worth of camera. Spend $5,000, you're going to get $5,000 worth of camera.

Personally I prefer Nikon - but I'm also invested in the Nikon range in terms of cameras and lenses, so going to another brand would cost me a kings ransom and I wouldn't get much out of it. Canon makes some nice mirrorless cameras, but so too does Nikon. The only reason I don't have a Nikon 1" camera is they didn't make one when I was in the market for it, and I didn't like the Nikon waterproof cameras, which is why I have an Olympus one for that. When I bought my Canon G7X Mk. II, it was a toss between that and the Sony RX100. I preferred the Canon, but the Sony was, and is, an excellent camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics