Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Simply put, are there any cruise lines that are extremely unpopular with senior citizens ?
I would say Carnival probably has a lesser number of seniors, because they cater to the young and broke, but then again, some retirees are broke, too. So perhaps look up the more expensive cruises for those with more seniors?

I know for a fact that Holland America had a lot of seniors, and now that I think about it, I don't recall being bothered by children when we cruised that line, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would say Carnival probably has a lesser number of seniors, because they cater to the young and broke, but then again, some retirees are broke, too. So perhaps look up the more expensive cruises for those with more seniors?

I know for a fact that Holland America had a lot of seniors, and now that I think about it, I don't recall being bothered by children when we cruised that line, either.
We cruised HAL when we were about 70 and still felt like we were the youngest ones on the ship. As for kids, there were a couple of families with kids, but that was it.

Yes, Carnival would have the fewest seniors though a lot of people over 50 do sail the line. I also will add, which I mentioned earlier this morning, it isn't just seniors that can be bothered by young children. I know many who feel toddlers and cruising are not a match made in heaven.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We cruised HAL when we were about 70 and still felt like we were the youngest ones on the ship. As for kids, there were a couple of families with kids, but that was it.

Yes, Carnival would have the fewest seniors though a lot of people over 50 do sail the line. I also will add, which I mentioned earlier this morning, it isn't just seniors that can be bothered by young children. I know many who feel toddlers and cruising are not a match made in heaven.
Yeah, HAL was quite an experience. I went with my dad when he was 65 and I was 45. You should have seen the older ladies giving me the side-eye. I finally started calling him "Dad" out loud, and they started smiling at me. So evidently they thought I was his younger piece. LOL

I have my own grandchildren, and I would not find it ideal to bring the younger ones on a cruise, so I don't blame anyone for those feelings. In fact, our whole extended family is going in January on Carnival, and we are only bringing the older grandchildren.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:27 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
I've been thinking about this and trying to find solutions or alternatives. Disney is certainly a possibility, but I assume there will be grandparents.

May I suggest to OP that they might be better to forego cruising and go on vacation to places like theme parks with rides, action figure related activities, zip lining, and such. Places like Universal studios, Lego land, Disney world. I'm going to guess there are plenty of resorts that would have few seniors and tons of kids (look up myrtle island) and maybe some all inclusives.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've been thinking about this and trying to find solutions or alternatives. Disney is certainly a possibility, but I assume there will be grandparents.

May I suggest to OP that they might be better to forego cruising and go on vacation to places like theme parks with rides, action figure related activities, zip lining, and such. Places like Universal studios, Lego land, Disney world. I'm going to guess there are plenty of resorts that would have few seniors and tons of kids (look up myrtle island) and maybe some all inclusives.
hubby and I were discussing this at dinner last night: I totally agree;AI or theme park vacations. We did an AI when our granddaughters very very young: they even offered baby sitting. In fact the unit came with a 9 to 4pm house person, I guess you would call her. There were activities for the little ones as well. It worked out really well; the kids loved it and we had some adult time. As for theme parks, that is an easy one to figure out. Even if grandma and granddad just want to sit around while the family enjoys the activities it can still be a fun family time.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:40 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I would like a cruise without kids, but because they don't exist...I do something else.
I think there are gay theme cruises a couple times a year. Not sure what cruise line. Pretty sure there won't be too many kids there. Look up gay travel, if you are interested.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I think there are gay theme cruises a couple times a year. Not sure what cruise line. Pretty sure there won't be too many kids there. Look up gay travel, if you are interested.
certainly do not know what the OP really has in mind, but, for some reason I doubt he would want to be on a gay cruise. There is nothing wrong with gays, for sure, but most of us do not want to be on a vacation where we stand out as different. If one is straight and on a gay cruise they certainly would stand out. Yes, you are right, there are gay based cruises. I am relatively sure NCL is one line that charters them. The same as there are political cruises, religious cruises or you name it cruises

Old 05-23-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
most of us do not want to be on a vacation where we stand out as different. If one is straight and on a gay cruise they certainly would stand out.
Speak for yourself. I would love to go on a gay cruise. Gays don't discriminate like many straight people do; they are accepting of everyone. I wouldn't feel like I stand out because I'm no different than they are. We're all humans.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Speak for yourself. I would love to go on a gay cruise. Gays don't discriminate like many straight people do; they are accepting of everyone. I wouldn't feel like I stand out because I'm no different than they are. We're all humans.
well we all have our own ideas; some would rather not cruise with one group, others another group. Our foster is gay, she and her wife cruise with us all the time, I am guessing she would not want to cruise on a gay only cruise. My last boss was gay,, I know he booked gays on gay only cruises, but he and his partner never sailed on one. The same was true when I was still an agent. I don't think any of me gay clients ever sailed on a gay cruise or any other specialty cruises. I happen to love kids, but I don't want to sail on a ship with 2500 of them. BTW, I just did that a month ago.

Actually I take that back about not booking any gays on an all gay cruise: I did only one time.There were 3 cabins as a matter of fact.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I have been on a lot of cruises. Royal Caribbean IMO is one of the best family friendly cruise lines. I personally would have given the oldies a dirty look back, lol. Who cares ehat they think of your kids anyway. Carnival probably has the least amount of seniors, but it's geared more towards a younger crowd (20's & 30's) and not as family friendly.
Carnival is becoming more family friendly. They've added more children themed activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises