Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:47 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
This is one of the reasons I just don't want to be on a cruise ship with lots of seniors. I realize that kids can be little terrors (including our own) but It's easier to stomach them because at least then my kids have others to interact with. For example my son was having a meltdown at the dinner table when a similar aged boy at the next table offered him a toy. We made small chat with the parents as we all waited for dinner to arrive and it was very pleasant. Young families like ours "get it". It's why parties with young kids are seated in sections with other small kids in restaurants. Just a huge contrast to the cold glares from pale old timers who don't even talk amongst themselves.

Thank you for all the suggestions too BTW
Maybe they are not talking amongst themselves because they can't be heard over your screaming kids?

Boy, you must have really hated your grandparents.

Just remember - you'll eventually be one of those "pale old timers". I hope your grandchildren don't think the way you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 11:41 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
my son was having a meltdown at the dinner table
the cold glares
I'm a tan late forties, and I'd have been glaring too. Your screaming kid was ruining the meal for everyone else. just because you're on a cruise, that doesn't mean parents should suddenly lose their minds and forget that there is a thing called manners.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I would like a cruise without kids, but because they don't exist...I do something else.
Actually, they do exist. For example, P&O Cruises, a British line (in fact, the largest British Line) that is owned by Carnival Corp., has three ships (Adonia, Arcadia, & Oriana) in its nine-ship fleet that maintain a strictly adults-only policy.

Top-Rated P&O Cruises Cruise Ships Rankings & Fleet - Cruise Critic

And as others have mentioned, although not strictly prohibited, you're not going to find many (if any) children on luxury lines such as Silversea and Seabourn. You also usually won't find children on the small ships and barges that do river cruises.

And if you don't even want to interact with younger adults, you can look at Grand Circle Cruises which caters to travelers who are 50+. (That is their official policy. Additionally, they absolutely prohibit parents or grandparents from bringing children younger than 13.) Here's their website:

https://www.gct.com/

Old 06-24-2017, 05:53 PM

344 posts, read 245,372 times
The RCI Oasis class ships are excellent for children/toddlers. The splash area and pool deck are great! There are shows that are family friendly (even your toddlers will enjoy). Kids clubs are good. There is even a merry-go-round. Plenty of places to eat if you don't want a drawn out meal. There are even Dreamworks characters.

Disney is also excellent. There will be tons of kids so you won't have to worry. They have options starting with 3 nights...and yes, they are not cheap. If you can do one Disney cruise, do it before your kids are too old to enjoy.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:36 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,572 times
Cruises are a senior citizen thing for the most part. I don't know many people my age - Gen X that have any interest in going on a cruise.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:40 PM

10,363 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Cruises are a senior citizen thing for the most part. I don't know many people my age - Gen X that have any interest in going on a cruise.
You'd be surprised how many younger people go on cruises (particularly in the Caribbean). It's an easy, inexpensive, and "exotic" vacation.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:49 PM

14,330 posts, read 14,635,457 times
Certain cruises might be considered a "senior citizen thing" but to generalize and say for the most part just isn't true, not at all. Plenty of 30 close to 40 and in their 40s people cruise, all the time, and I think that would be Gen X.

I took my first cruise at 35, loved it. When I was 39, I took a Big Band cruise and there were a dozen of us under 50 on that particular cruise and (some 28 cruises later) think of it as my best ever.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:13 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Certain cruises might be considered a "senior citizen thing" but to generalize and say for the most part just isn't true, not at all. Plenty of 30 close to 40 and in their 40s people cruise, all the time, and I think that would be Gen X.

I took my first cruise at 35, loved it. When I was 39, I took a Big Band cruise and there were a dozen of us under 50 on that particular cruise and (some 28 cruises later) think of it as my best ever.
How ironic - our favorite cruises was a big band cruise on HAL - 19 days NY to Seattle!

And Millennials ARE booking and enjoying cruises. https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...sVM/story.html

Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Go to Youtube and search for "spring break cruise." You'll see tons of younger people.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What? Have you ever seen or heard about the number of college kids that cruise every spring break and during the summer or the number of young couples that marry on ships? Why do you think every cruise line offers kids activities? And why some lines are known as Party cruises? We were on a cruise in early April, the ship held 4200 people: the kid count was 2,150. We were told 2 weeks before that over 2500 on the ship were college and young 20 somethings. Maybe it has something to do with where you live, I don't know but cruising is very popular with the younger generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises