Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:26 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times

Advertisements

We (geezers) go when the kids are in school. We never go when they are not in school.

Never go near beach resort when it is spring break.

Everybody is happier that way.

Never go shopping on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 02:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We (geezers) go when the kids are in school. We never go when they are not in school.

Never go near beach resort when it is spring break.

Everybody is happier that way.

Never go shopping on weekends.
We try to do the same: we did take a cruise in early April, planned and paid for my our daughters for our birthdays: they have forgotten about spring break. OMG, the ship held 4500 people and the kid count was 2154. First, last and only time we will ever do that again. Our older daughter and hubby were with us. They went nuts as well. The thing was, the kids were relatively well behaved, there were just so many of them and some parents didn't consider there are times and places for kids.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
1. Who cares what they think or do? It's your vacation and you paid the same as they did. Enjoy it. Kids will be kids and as long as the parents are doing their job (which I'm positive you were otherwise you wouldn't be posting) people will survive.

2. I'd go towards Disney OR Royal/Carnival on a sailing of less than 7 days. If you go on either of those with a 4 or 5 night sailing you will certainly see less of the older crowd. Disney will be just fine anytime though as kids are their thing and anyone on there understands this before purchasing.

Good luck and certainly do not let some wet blankets ruin your vacation!

Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 AM

344 posts, read 244,910 times
Sorry I didn't read all the responses so not sure if you mentioned the ages of your children. Disney is a great option. Lots of kid/family friendly activities and shows. Their kids clubs are probably the best in the industry. We've sailed them a number of times with 2 more coming up. For kids who like some physical activity (rock climbing walls, etc) I highly recommend Royal Caribbean's Oasis class ships. Their shows are family friendly, kids clubs are good, and there is lots to do. If crowds scare you, try to go off-season although we've gone last week of summer and Pres. Day week and we've never had any issues.

BTW, the elevator thing is not limited to "old people". People of all ages push in before letting people out, etc. Come to think of it complaining and rude behavior of any kind is not limited to "old people"!

Happy Cruising!

Old 06-15-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
1. Who cares what they think or do? It's your vacation and you paid the same as they did. Enjoy it. Kids will be kids and as long as the parents are doing their job (which I'm positive you were otherwise you wouldn't be posting) people will survive.

2. I'd go towards Disney OR Royal/Carnival on a sailing of less than 7 days. If you go on either of those with a 4 or 5 night sailing you will certainly see less of the older crowd. Disney will be just fine anytime though as kids are their thing and anyone on there understands this before purchasing.

Good luck and certainly do not let some wet blankets ruin your vacation!
What you are saying is very true, but there is difference between being a kid and misbehaving. Too many parents see it like you said: Oh kids will be kids. Of course they will, they get tired, they have a lot of energy, they get bored, but when parents excuse everything the kids do wrong it can isn't fun for anyone.

I will add another comment: you mention Disney or RCI: well Carnival and NCL probably are even more family friendly than RCI. Any of those lines, work well with families. I also think it is important for parents to take their child's personality into consideration and be honest: would cruising be a good vacation choice for our family? And if a family decides to cruise, think twice what activities they choose to do. For example, you may want to forego a show if it isn't the type of entertainment the kids will enjoy. The same with upscale dining, think before you take your 4 or 6 year to a fine dining restaurant on a cruise. The dinner can take up to 2 hours, most little ones are not going to enjoy the experience. thus the other guests will be affected and so will mom and dad.

It is possible to cruise with a wonderful mixture of ages, as long as everyone is considerate of each other.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What you are saying is very true, but there is difference between being a kid and misbehaving. Too many parents see it like you said: Oh kids will be kids. Of course they will, they get tired, they have a lot of energy, they get bored, but when parents excuse everything the kids do wrong it can isn't fun for anyone.
I live in a resort area popular with families and have a longstanding rant about how so many parents see a vacation as a vacation from having to actually parent their offspring who are standing next to them throwing rocks at ducks.

No, doesn't work that way.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:03 PM

344 posts, read 244,910 times
Quote:
I will add another comment: you mention Disney or RCI: well Carnival and NCL probably are even more family friendly than RCI. Any of those lines, work well with families.
We've sailed all the major cruise lines (with children). The Oasis class on RCI are better than NCL and Carnival for us because they have 3 large pools and 1 toddler pool/great splash area. They also have several kid friendly shows, where NCL and Carnival had less (and NCL's best shows - Cirque - had an extra charge). I think it depends on the ages of your children so it's important to do your research before choosing a cruise.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:02 PM

757 posts, read 837,555 times
Lots of people just angry period. Boomers/oldsters are the ones with the money and goodness some of them have a sense of entitlement. I see a fair share of grumps on my cruises. I am north of 70 myself. I just go into avoidance mode OR eat more beans for the elevator. Thins the crowd out.

It's a joke for goodness sakes.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
We've sailed all the major cruise lines (with children). The Oasis class on RCI are better than NCL and Carnival for us because they have 3 large pools and 1 toddler pool/great splash area. They also have several kid friendly shows, where NCL and Carnival had less (and NCL's best shows - Cirque - had an extra charge). I think it depends on the ages of your children so it's important to do your research before choosing a cruise.
I agree with some of what you are saying, but I don't think you are all that familiar with the newest NCL ships or even some of the upgrades after some of the ships go into dry dock. I am certainly not saying RCI isn't a great choice for families. It is, I am saying NCL is also one to consider. You certainly are right about research. This is why I am such a strong supporter of a travel agent, especially for new cruisers.

BTW: no I am not a travel agent but my bio says I am. I can't figure out how to get this corrected. Or I think it still says that.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 PM

810 posts, read 667,180 times
Quote:
....What you are saying is very true, but there is difference between being a kid and misbehaving. Too many parents see it like you said: Oh kids will be kids. Of course they will, they get tired, they have a lot of energy, they get bored, but when parents excuse everything the kids do wrong it can isn't fun for anyone.....
This is one of the reasons I just don't want to be on a cruise ship with lots of seniors. I realize that kids can be little terrors (including our own) but It's easier to stomach them because at least then my kids have others to interact with. For example my son was having a meltdown at the dinner table when a similar aged boy at the next table offered him a toy. We made small chat with the parents as we all waited for dinner to arrive and it was very pleasant. Young families like ours "get it". It's why parties with young kids are seated in sections with other small kids in restaurants. Just a huge contrast to the cold glares from pale old timers who don't even talk amongst themselves.

Thank you for all the suggestions too BTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises