Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times

Advertisements

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

David Stockman, one of Reagan's chief economic advisors, believes we are headed for catastrophe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/op...anted=all&_r=0

What are your thoughts? It's a tough read, but hard to disagree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
I agree with every one of his proposed solutions, and I also know that none of them stands even the slightest chance of being adopted.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I agree with every one of his proposed solutions, and I also know that none of them stands even the slightest chance of being adopted.
Can't argue with that. Articles like this make me feel better about never having had children. Hard to worry as much about a future that I don't have any stake in.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
I wonder how many Republicans are going to be disappointed when the country starts to get even better than it is now?

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 04-03-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I wonder how many Republicans are going to be disappointed when the country starts to get even better than it is now?
Dunno...I'm not a Republican. But I don't think it's going to get better. I think we're on a trend to only get worse; sure, we might see some upward bumps but the general trend will be downwards.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Maybe.
This is a time when the glass is either half empty or half full.

A pessimist can honestly say a lot of jobs have gone forever, that there are too many of us now to share the wealth, that the costs of everything are going up too fast, and that things will never be as good as they once were.

An optimist can say we are still the most innovative nation on earth, have people who are willing to work harder and longer than in other nations, that new technology is developing, bringing new jobs with it, and that things will be different, but better than they once were.

Either could be correct. More likely Both will be partly correct.

I believe what will become of us will depend on how willing we are to embrace the new and how much we look forward toward the unknown, not backward toward the past. The present moment in time determines our next step forward, and has already determined the footprint we left behind in the past. The good old days happen moment by moment for all of us, as time steadily flows on. It all depends on a person's outlook.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
America is on a downward trend, but few really understand the reason why. There are positives, like the growth in the oil business. We may very well be energy independent in 10 years or so. On the other hand, there are big negatives, the retirement of the baby-boomers will stretch and strain the federal budget and taxes will continue to go up and this will be a drag on the economy, and add in OBamacare, and you have real first class pain. But the big problem is the moral problems, the continued increase in drug use, and the decline of the nuclear family. Studies have shown that children raised in single parent homes have more problems, they are more likely to be involved in crime, poor school performance etc. People are getting more selfish, more self centered, lazier, more dishonest, and all those will definitely mean a lower quality of life for most. The society is just plain falling apart and become more like a third world country like Haiti. Its not going to be pretty in the future.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,475,255 times
"...People are getting more selfish, more self centered, lazier, more dishonest..."

This is the truth if it was ever spoken. This along with the entitlement mentality is destroying this Country.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

David Stockman, one of Reagan's chief economic advisors, believes we are headed for catastrophe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/op...anted=all&_r=0

What are your thoughts? It's a tough read, but hard to disagree with it.
It's pretty much a given. The American worker's wage is pathetic, and if an American can get a job, they always have the looming threat: if you don't like it, there is someone to replace you. Scary horrid times, I do not see how we will come out of it.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
"...People are getting more selfish, more self centered, lazier, more dishonest..."

This is the truth if it was ever spoken. This along with the entitlement mentality is destroying this Country.
What is destroying America are these multinational corporations taking our jobs to third world countries where people work for peanuts and there are no regulations. It is greed that is destroying our country, average Joe or Josephine isn't destroying America it's these executives who don't give a crap about their workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events