Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 09:49 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Fluoridation MAY not prevent cavities.

A friend sent me this latest report which includes the Cochrane Collaboration and Kathleen Thiessen, PhD is mentioned and I've known of her work for years.

This is a very easy read and could get some "off the fence" in trusting the pro "F" pushers and their real motives.

Fluoridation May Not Prevent Cavities, Scientific Review Shows

Talk about scientists, many listed here.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-08-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Topical application of fluoride to adult teeth does not cause fluorosis.

Two of my children were given what the dentist's office called a fluoride treatment. I didn't see the container or the application. Their teeth were fine, then they became all mottled. My third child wasn't there that day and her teeth are still fine.

Later dentists agreed that's what it was from. My children were 6 & 8 at the time. I didn't want it done, but the office did it without asking.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:33 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Fluoridation MAY not prevent cavities.

A friend sent me this latest report which includes the Cochrane Collaboration and Kathleen Thiessen, PhD is mentioned and I've known of her work for years.

This is a very easy read and could get some "off the fence" in trusting the pro "F" pushers and their real motives.

Fluoridation May Not Prevent Cavities, Scientific Review Shows

Talk about scientists, many listed here.
That study attracted criticism from around the world:

Critique of the review of 'Water fluoridation for the prevention of dental caries' published by the Cochrane Collaboration in 2015 : Article : British Dental Journal

The review does not conclude that fluoridation does not prevent cavities.

"It should be emphasised, first, that the Cochrane Review states 'that water fluoridation is effective at reducing caries levels in both deciduous [primary] and permanent dentition in children.' "

The rebuttal to the Cochrane review notes, "There is no doubt that there is a considerable amount of evidence indicating that water fluoridation is effective in caries prevention. This evidence considers not only oral health-related outcome measures such as dmft/DMFT scores, but also dental abscesses, toothache and admission to hospital for general anaesthetics."

Another critical article points out that the Cochrane review excluded 97% of the evidence on fluoridation.

The Cochrane Review of Community Water Fluoridation

"Cochrane’s conclusion about the strength of the contemporary evidence was determined by its process. Although Cochrane identified 4,677 studies of fluoride’s impact on dental health, only 155 of them fit the narrow criteria that it used for assessing the applicability or quality of research. In other words, Cochrane’s criteria excluded 97% of the studies that have been conducted."

Many Cochrane reviews are helpful. That one was poorly done, but even so it did not say that fluoride does not prevent cavities.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
That study attracted criticism from around the world:

Critique of the review of 'Water fluoridation for the prevention of dental caries' published by the Cochrane Collaboration in 2015 : Article : British Dental Journal

The review does not conclude that fluoridation does not prevent cavities.

"It should be emphasised, first, that the Cochrane Review states 'that water fluoridation is effective at reducing caries levels in both deciduous [primary] and permanent dentition in children.' "

The rebuttal to the Cochrane review notes, "There is no doubt that there is a considerable amount of evidence indicating that water fluoridation is effective in caries prevention. This evidence considers not only oral health-related outcome measures such as dmft/DMFT scores, but also dental abscesses, toothache and admission to hospital for general anaesthetics."

Another critical article points out that the Cochrane review excluded 97% of the evidence on fluoridation.

The Cochrane Review of Community Water Fluoridation

"Cochrane’s conclusion about the strength of the contemporary evidence was determined by its process. Although Cochrane identified 4,677 studies of fluoride’s impact on dental health, only 155 of them fit the narrow criteria that it used for assessing the applicability or quality of research. In other words, Cochrane’s criteria excluded 97% of the studies that have been conducted."

Many Cochrane reviews are helpful. That one was poorly done, but even so it did not say that fluoride does not prevent cavities.
Oh, of course!!!

Old 07-08-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, of course!!!
Even after excluding 97% of the studies on fluoride the Cochrane review concluded fluoride prevents cavities.

Your source.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
That's an interesting study though. I've never been concerned about flouride, in fact one time a dentist gave me a flouride treatment that I didn't ask for but I didn't care. It's in my toothpaste, it's in my water. I never even gave it a second thought.

Mostly what I got from reading that Cochrane study was that there's enough flouride in toothpaste that people don't need it in their water too. Also, that no one knows if there's harm done from drinking flouride every time we drink water from the tap.

They did say that flouride prevents cavities. They also said that since it's in the toothpaste these days, it might not be a good idea to also have it in our drinking water--and that there's probably no need to also have it in the water unless people aren't using flouridated toothpaste.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's an interesting study though. I've never been concerned about flouride, in fact one time a dentist gave me a flouride treatment that I didn't ask for but I didn't care. It's in my toothpaste, it's in my water. I never even gave it a second thought.

Mostly what I got from reading that Cochrane study was that there's enough flouride in toothpaste that people don't need it in their water too. Also, that no one knows if there's harm done from drinking flouride every time we drink water from the tap.

They did say that flouride prevents cavities. They also said that since it's in the toothpaste these days, it might not be a good idea to also have it in our drinking water--and that there's probably no need to also have it in the water unless people aren't using flouridated toothpaste.
The benefit in the water is that it protects teeth even before they erupt through the gums.

It also protects people who do not have access to good dental care, which usually correlates with lower socioeconomic status.

One thing that has been done is to lower the recommended level in drinking water to take into account the increased use of fluoride from other sources, including toothpaste.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:12 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
The benefit in the water is that it protects teeth even before they erupt through the gums.

It also protects people who do not have access to good dental care, which usually correlates with lower socioeconomic status.

One thing that has been done is to lower the recommended level in drinking water to take into account the increased use of fluoride from other sources, including toothpaste.
Few problems here. Pediatricians have not recommended giving babies water to drink for decades. Breastmilk or Formula is enough. Does the fluoride get in the mothers milk? Is it put into Formula?

Older children getting their permanent teeth? Maybe, maybe not. Welcome to the age/craze of Bottled Water. Is there fluoride in Poland Springs, etc., bottled water? Go to any COSTCO and you will see people buying cases of bottled water. Why are they doing this, do you think? I worked in public schools in two different states. The kids brought in bottled water, especially in South Florida where it gets very hot outside. It was sold in the school cafeterias. Very RARE that the children drank from a water fountain.

Going back to the 80's in NYC (fluoride), my Mom bought gallons of bottled water because she thought NYC water was gross. Look at it. It's BROWN. What is in this?? She even gave bottled water to her cat. When my own kids came to visit her, she would not let them drink the tap water. Long Island does not have fluoride in it's water. They certainly weren't getting it when they went to NYC to visit Grandma. My Mom even boiled her pasta with bottled water!

So unless these brands of bottled water have fluoride in it, there are probably millions of people, including children, not getting it from tap water. Unfortunately, for me, I couldn't shower with bottled water in Florida.
I absolutely love that where I moved to in Pa. they don't put it in the water. No more $100 shower filters every 6 months. YES!

Last edited by Jo48; 07-09-2017 at 07:35 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Since this mad mass medication has been going on since 1948 and plenty of people drink tap in the U.S. and there has been much discussion of BUILD UP in the body ,, what is it doing to us. Thyroid dsyfunction for one huge one...millions are on thyroid support. That's just one health issue. How about fractures and joint issues.

I buy water and as I've said have NOT gone to a dentist in going on 10 yrs....but for decades before I did my share of dental visits.

Oh and some water companies have come out with added fluoride to their already fluoridated water, so a person can get a double/triple dose. They are so brainwashed by the chemical pushers. It says it on the bottle with fluoride, like you are getting a great bonus.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:46 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Jamin, I am sure you have heard of this at our ages. My Nana's (born 1900) homemade toothpaste, minus fluoride. Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. Gradually add some water to it until it forms a paste. Dip your toothbrush in it. There is your toothpaste. Oh, no. Spreading "woo".

My husband once bought me a book on "Old Wives Remedies". Did I really need that? Nope, heard almost all of them from my old (Italian) Nana. Where there is the will, there is a way, even before the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals