Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times

Advertisements

I just tell people they look "fit". Is that OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I just tell people they look "fit". Is that OK?
I think that is the best compliment you can give someone. It says to the person that you recognize they are working hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:58 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
It also implies they were FAT before!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,439 times
Wow, lots of comments. I guess on my side, I was bullied for being the 'skinny, smart, nerd'. Lol I have always been called skinny by my peers, friends. Even if I'm way bigger than my mom and sis. I guess I consider 'skinny' a compliment. I have called my neighbor, new mom that, as she looks fantastic. And is thinner than before she was preggo. Lol

I got, as my sis still does, anorexic comments. And those are 'okay'. It's still okay to say anorexic, but not fat. My lil sis is tall and thin like me, but, no kids. Lol either can be hurtful. I hated my bullied, childhood. I was skinny and weak.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
When someone tells me that 'You look skinny' whether it is a male or a female, is that compliment, neutral comment or something negative?

Ever get that?

Who cares what others think, say or do? If you are comfortable with how you are physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually does it really matter how others think you are? Does it seriously impact how you live your life? If someone tells you that you look skinny just say thanks and move on OR say nothing at all and move on or better yet........say whatever you want to say and move on.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,638 times
Ah, this question has been the subject of argument in my household for some time. IMO, commenting on weight is rude unless the person has specifically mentioned a diet or exercise program and opened the door.

In most cases, I think "you look skinny" is meant as a compliment, unless it is accompanied by a sneer coming from a not skinny person. I just say thanks and change the subject, because I don't like our society's obsession with weight and thinness. What I wish I could say to the person is that it makes me uncomfortable when you notice my weight loss and comment on it because I feel like I'm being noticed and monitored. When you don't say anything, does that mean you think I've gained weight? So it makes me self-conscious around you. And when you don't say anything to me but I hear you compliment another person, I feel as if you are comparing us and I come up short (or heavier).

So yes, I think it's rude. However, I am always pleased when someone says "You look great" or "I love your outfit" or "You are glowing", because I do put in the work (watching the diet, exercising every day, trying to dress nice for my body type, etc.) and it's nice to have it recognized from time to time.

This post is dedicated to my MIL, who talks about weight way more than I think is healthy. One of our relatives brought over his new wife for Thanksgiving this year, and she just gushed about how skinny she was. How do you think this girl is going to feel when she puts on a little weight? She's a beautiful girl but my MIL just reduced her so that the only important thing is how skinny she is.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 21,949 times
I felt compelled to comment . Id prefer someone to say I was in great shape, not skinny. I agree w/ InfoGuy; skinny means scrawny and skeletal looking; not a look I'd go for. Unfortunately Americans in general have gotten more obese, if you're no more than 20-30 overweight, it's shocking to some.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Who cares what others think, say or do? If you are comfortable with how you are physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually does it really matter how others think you are? Does it seriously impact how you live your life? If someone tells you that you look skinny just say thanks and move on OR say nothing at all and move on or better yet........say whatever you want to say and move on.
Well said I could not agree more. If I know I look good and feel good I could care less what someone else thinks of me. But I do like the comments that I look great.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitnessnut1 View Post
I felt compelled to comment . Id prefer someone to say I was in great shape, not skinny. I agree w/ InfoGuy; skinny means scrawny and skeletal looking; not a look I'd go for. Unfortunately Americans in general have gotten more obese, if you're no more than 20-30 overweight, it's shocking to some.
At my house skinny is an insult. If someone looks thin but fit and well, it would be described as trim or nice or something like that.

My mom was called Olive Oyl growing up, because she was skinny (in a scrawny way). But for "white americans" I am sure she looked perfect. But she HATED having skinny legs and was jealous of her sisters and relatives etc who had bigger, more shapely legs and calves.

So I HATE the word skinny, and I don't really like thin, because they have negative connotations. Fit, trim, etc are all much better words to use in my book. I knew at a young age that skinny = bad.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Depends, are you skinny after having been a wee bit overweight? Have you been walking or jogging or whatever and toned and tightened a bit?

I always take it as a compliment no matter what unless it is my Mother who just KNOWS I haven't been eating properly but I'm sure that is a Mother thing....LOL
I was overweight according to the BMI defination at 5'8.5" 180lbs. It was only my stomach that was a little bit out waist size 37".

I am now 165lbs, more ripped and toned and a 32" waist. I was also once 115lbs in high school so I was a stick boy lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss