Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 03:50 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times

Advertisements

I agree with you 100%. It's like saying smoking is great! It isn't.

I have a friend and an Aunt that are obese, which is none of my business and I don't judge them.

However when the friend starts with all that about how non-obese people are just as likely to have health problems and such it bugs me.

I smoke and I don't make stuff up to defend it.

My Aunt says weird things like 'if I stopped drinking milk, I'd probably lose weight'. As if 150 pounds are caused by the small amount of milk she drinks.

No, I'm watching you eat way too much for any meal, but it's all fried and such to make it even worse!

If she said 'Eating is just too hard for me to give up. I want to be happy' I would totally accept that.

I mean I 'accept' whatever she says I just don't understand weird defense mechanisms. I 'own' my bad habits, all of them!

I need to lose 15 pounds, but, I don't want to enough to change my eating as much as I'd have to. Period, simple.

anyway the aunt is funny. She needs bacon every morning. Because protein. Is there even very much protein in bacon?

Surely there are a ton of better sources.

So, she makes herself feel better by always mentioning the things she avoids (things she doesn't like that much to begin with).

At breakfast, with eggs, bacon, waffles and extra butter she will tell the waitress, I can only have a SMALL milk. lol! my cardiologist would be happy with me for ordering a small one.

I'm like let's take a photo of this breakfast and see if it would be the large milk he'd object to, or the other things,,,,,,how much cholesterol is there in milk compared to butter? EXTRA butter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I agree with you 100%. It's like saying smoking is great! It isn't.

I have a friend and an Aunt that are obese, which is none of my business and I don't judge them.

However when the friend starts with all that about how non-obese people are just as likely to have health problems and such it bugs me.

I smoke and I don't make stuff up to defend it.

My Aunt says weird things like 'if I stopped drinking milk, I'd probably lose weight'. As if 150 pounds are caused by the small amount of milk she drinks.

No, I'm watching you eat way too much for any meal, but it's all fried and such to make it even worse!

If she said 'Eating is just too hard for me to give up. I want to be happy' I would totally accept that.

I mean I 'accept' whatever she says I just don't understand weird defense mechanisms. I 'own' my bad habits, all of them!

I need to lose 15 pounds, but, I don't want to enough to change my eating as much as I'd have to. Period, simple.

anyway the aunt is funny. She needs bacon every morning. Because protein. Is there even very much protein in bacon?

Surely there are a ton of better sources.

So, she makes herself feel better by always mentioning the things she avoids (things she doesn't like that much to begin with).

At breakfast, with eggs, bacon, waffles and extra butter she will tell the waitress, I can only have a SMALL milk. lol! my cardiologist would be happy with me for ordering a small one.

I'm like let's take a photo of this breakfast and see if it would be the large milk he'd object to, or the other things,,,,,,how much cholesterol is there in milk compared to butter? EXTRA butter?
That's like someone I used to know who was a little bit overweight. She yelled at me (not overweight) when I put cream in my coffee. She drank hers black but was mad at me for adding cream. But cream in your coffee wasn't what made the difference: she ate big meals, "had" to have dessert and drank beer every night.

Of course overweight people should still love themselves but there's a difference between loving yourself and thinking you're living an acceptable and healthy lifestyle.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:55 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is a pretty false dichotomy. You may treat your body "well" and still be overweight. Better to do the right things and the right habits (eating well, eating your veggies and staying active) and let the scale fall where it does. You may lose weight. You may not. But doing the right things will make you a lot healthier than those who are not.

Our society encourages weight loss at any cost - even to the detriment of being healthy. Why don't we focus on everyone just adopting and maintaining healthy habits?
Overeating isn't healthy. While overeating on healthful foods is better than overeating on potato chips and corn dogs, it's still not healthy. For a lot of people though, weight is just vanity. What is fashionable is generally either underweight or on the very lowest end of healthy weight.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:00 PM

1,553 posts, read 924,805 times
I don't 'sugar coat obesity'.

It's a national DISGRACE, in my opinion...

Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
There is a difference between accepting oneself, as is, right now and accepting obesity.

Right now I am obese. I have had quite a journey and I am working on being healthier. However, right now I am where I am.

I started out at around 235/240. I got down to 185 and for no reason I can explain I have gotten up into the 190s. I am under a doctor's care trying to figure out why I can't lose any more weight (waiting for the eat less, move more folks to chime in).

I will not be ashamed of myself. I am not disgraceful. I am a person with struggles. A person who is obese is just as entitled to post pictures of themselves when they think they look good as anyone else. Being happy with who you are today is not the same thing as accepting that you must be obese forever.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:18 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
I'd be willing to bet that most of the people riding around stores in fatcarts, are doing-so because they are morbidly-obese.

As you age, you body is less and less tolerant towards stress. All that extra weight is hard on everything......bones, joints, organs, muscles, ligaments, tendons.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Hi guys, bored at work here and I decided to start a discussion about why some people are trying to sugar coat obesity. This may be a controversial subject with different opinions, but please enlighten me. I have always wanted to talk to someone about being obese, but my friends and family simply dont understand because they are not fat.

So for the past few years, I have seen facebooks and Instagrams of women who are dressed in bikinis or taking sexy boudoir photos and promoting self love. They encourage other obese women to love themselves the way they are. I dont understand this. Being obese myself (I used to hate that word so much because with obesity comes many health risks), I feel like this message is aimed at me, and I dont agree. I love myself as an individual, but I DO NOT want to accept my body the way it is. There are many changes that needs to be made. Not only do I want to look good, I want to be fit and healthy at some point in my life. I want to live for many more years to come. If I embraced my image the way it is now, that is almost guaranteed never to happen.

I also hear arguments about "oh, just because you're fat doesnt mean you're unhealthy. I am 250 lbs and dont have a single diagnosis and being thin doesnt guarantee that someone is healthy either." In my opinion, it is always better to be thin (being in a healthy bmi range). I agree, just because someone is thin doesnt mean they are healthy, but the vast majority do not have health risks that are associated with being obese. If you are obese now, and hold your head up high thinking you're ok now, but what about tomorrow or next year? I am obese and let me just say I am very paranoid about my health. I am scared going to the doctor and getting some sort of bad news that there is something wrong with me caused by my health. This is a motivation for me to get out of the circle. I wasnt always this big. There was a time where I only weighed 115-120 lbs. I felt awesome, and I was never paranoid about health related issues. I am only 5 ft 3, I am not meant to carry this much weight on my small frame.

Also, there are many people who refuses to accept criticism. They will gouge your eyes out if you try to give them helpful advises especially concerning your weight. I used to hate it when my husband voiced his opinion about my outfit choices, but he's right. I should dress for my size because I will look more presentable and confident. Some clothes really arent meant for obese people (A few years back I thought crop tops were cute, but would I look good in them? nah). If you choose to wear it, to each their own.

Sorry for the long post and I hope I dont come across as being harsh or judgmental, I just dont understand why obese women are dressed in bikinis or walking the streets in lingerie trying to promote this message and trying to get validation for their condition. I am so tired of being obese.
well just my 2 cents worth: it isn't anyone's business to criticize or even mention another persons looks, weight or habits except for their personal doctor. Thus I can see why a person might be defensive if another person, friend or relative mentioned weight. As for being healthy: of course too much weigh isn't healthy, bt being obsessed with weight isn't healthy either,There are people who need to lose weight that are very healthy and thin people who are not.

As for how one dresses: your husband is right and now you see it also: we should all dress according to our weight and age. Overweight people bring more attention and not in a positive way to themselves. The same as people (usually women) think, at 60 they can still get away with dressing like they did at 30 or even 40. No one should sugar coat obesity, but it isn't the end of all things. I will add one more thing: gals or guys, if you are more than a couple lbs overweight, use common sense, don't wear swim suits that show it all. Not only is it in bad taste, it is awful looking to others.

As for loving yourself and accepting yourself: they are 2 different things; yes, you can be content with yourself and not hate those extra lbs but that doesn't mean you need to overlook the health factor. BTW, I am talking about people who are grossly overweight, yes the ones in the carts in the store, that absolutely can not even walk down the aisles. I will add, I am overweight, I know I need to lose weight, I am also almost 80 years old and very active: I eat healthy but love to cook and probably eat too much plus weight problems run in our family. I know that is not an excuse.

Last edited by nmnita; 01-09-2017 at 05:14 AM..

Old 01-09-2017, 06:17 AM

108 posts, read 100,109 times
I agree with you on the sugar coating part! A lot of people are offended and call it discriminating when an obese person is confronted...but honestly they are unhealthy and it's a serious medical condition. I like to refer to it as a gateway. When a person is obese they often times have other medical conditions directly related to the weight that could be controlled or eliminated by eating/exercising [living "healthy"]. I don't see why anyone should be okay with that and love themselves for it. Secondly, a few extra pounds, curves...things like that aren't unhealthy and should fall under the whole 'love your body' campaign. I can say I am one of those people who has been the same size since I was in high school, even after two kids. The downside being flat as a board. No curves anywhere and that has always bothered me.. There is no such thing as perfection.

>>Teaching Healthy Habits not only at school but parents who live in that lifestyle. A teacher can preach about fruits and veggies, allow the child gym classes, and outdoor education... but if the Parent(s) line the cupboards in oreos, ketchup, and hamburger helper, smoke cigarettes, and use the television as a babysitter
..how can the child succeed?

Old 01-09-2017, 12:42 PM

586 posts, read 830,701 times
I really enjoyed reading all the new opinions! I am fully aware that there are those who have medical issues and cannot lose weight or get to their desired goal, those are the people who I would go up to and give a hug, they have been through a lot! However, those who purposely think obesity is ok (may be a small percentage, but I am seeing it on the rise) and glamorize it, I dont understand the concept. They are not just plus size models, because I do know being overweight doesnt mean you're unhealthy, but these women are clearly obese weighing over 250 lbs. They dress in lingerie and provocative clothing. They have thousands of followers, mostly other obese women who agree with them left and right.

I was pretty stubborn in my early twenties. Thinking I had all the time in the world because of my age. If I remained obese by the end of the year, I would say "its ok, I have next year" and its a never ending cycle. I finally lost 20 lbs last year but that is a very small amount from what i need to lose. I dont want to play around anymore. I just turned 27 and I now have 2 kids. I dont want to get any older and still stuck in the 200 range. Since the 1/1 I lost another 2.6 lbs, which is not a lot but that was in 1 week.

Consequences are beginning to kick in. last year, I was diagnosed with pre diabetes. My doctor asked me to please lose weight because since diabetes does not run in the family, this may be caused because I weigh way to much and might resolve once I get to a healthy weight, if I dont it will turn into diabetes eventually if I stay the same weight or get bigger. I have bone spur (or ganglion cyst, not sure which one but getting it checked out) on the top of my foot that hinders me from exercising or even walking, and I am almost positive that its from being obese from the pressure that is being placed on my feet.

I am already having first hand experience of the damages obesity can cause, thats why I felt so bewildered when some women and even men willingly do this to themselves. I know someone who is about 40 lbs overweight and every day she drinks 1 large starbucks (blended), another brand of coffee also blended, and a large sweetened milk tea. When people tell her to cut off on the sugar and carbs she responds by saying "I only have 1 life, I'd rather die eating what I like than die from starvation." These are the types of people I dont understand.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:53 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is a pretty false dichotomy. You may treat your body "well" and still be overweight. Better to do the right things and the right habits (eating well, eating your veggies and staying active) and let the scale fall where it does. You may lose weight. You may not. But doing the right things will make you a lot healthier than those who are not.

Our society encourages weight loss at any cost - even to the detriment of being healthy. Why don't we focus on everyone just adopting and maintaining healthy habits?

If you treat your body right you will not be overweight. If you are overweight you are eating more food than you need to eat for fuel. That is not treating your body right.

People do not like to hear this, but it is the truth. What is wrong with this country is that people live in denial about how much they are really eating. Portion distortion has people thinking a 500-calorie bagel is normal, or eating a whole steak in one sitting is normal. It is not. This country is fat because it eats more than it needs. That is all there is to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss