Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Carter View Post
LOVE this post. In my profession I see overweight/obese people all day long and I would say that 98% think they are the ones who will be able to fool science. The fact of the matter is, that you probably can get away with it for a while.....eventually it catches you. I have yet to have a client who has brought me a note from their doctor saying a) it is OK being 75 pounds overweight and B) they are considered perfectly healthy.

What I generally see is that it takes a compelling event to get ones attention. A scare of some sort. That scare can come from a doctor's firm warning, an actual health episode or results from things like a blood test.

I actually wrote a BLOG last year that was called "Dancing Naked In My Parking Lot" and the point behind it, is once that compelling event happens....what ever it is.....that is when the motivation for change is at it's all time high. It is at that point I could tell that person to "go naked and dance in my parking lot" and they would.

Kris
This reminds me of a quote on the wall at my old gym. Paraphrasing - "If you think you do not have time to exercise now, just wait until you are sick".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
All of those spouting how unhealthy things are when overweight.
How do you explain the very healthy, young, active, athletic, professional cheerleader who had a major stroke?
How do you explain all of the thin, healthy, active humans who are diabetic? who have cancer? who have high blood pressure? who have.........*fill in the blank with any disease or ailment you choose*.
The truth is you can't. There are people who smoke, drink, eat all carbs, red meat and do not exercise who live to be 100 who do not take pills. There are children who have cancer, there are 20 year olds who have heart attacks and strokes.

It is best to tend to one's own life and sweep all the dirt off of one's own glass house porch and stay out of the pantry, kitchen and closet of someone else.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM

586 posts, read 830,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How do you explain the very healthy, young, active, athletic, professional cheerleader who had a major stroke?
How do you explain all of the thin, healthy, active humans who are diabetic? who have cancer? who have high blood pressure? who have.........*fill in the blank with any disease or ailment you choose*.
The truth is you can't. There are people who smoke, drink, eat all carbs, red meat and do not exercise who live to be 100 who do not take pills. There are children who have cancer, there are 20 year olds who have heart attacks and strokes.

It is best to tend to one's own life and sweep all the dirt off of one's own glass house porch and stay out of the pantry, kitchen and closet of someone else.
These things can happen to anyone, I'm (and some others on here) are not saying it doesnt. However, an obese person is more likely to develop some sort of disease during their life time from being obese, and I dont mean those who eat healthy and are still obese. I am speaking of the ones who eat fast food carbs 3 times a day, munching on potato chips and drinking soda. Those who do not give a care in the world and just eat. I used to be that person. I was 18 and young and just ate whatever I wanted. I kept packing on weight and didnt think I would one day be diagnosed with pre diabetes, and my doctor bluntly told me after asking if diabetes ran in the family "ok, I'm going to be firm, you NEED to lose some weight if you dont want to be a full blown diabetic." This was a wake up call for me.

I just see a lot of people arguing about how being thin doesnt guarantee that you'll be healthy either. Yupe, there's no guarantee but if you compare an average thin person who works out daily and eats healthy with an average obese person who eats junk and doesnt work out, its almost guaranteed that the former would be in better health.

I've never got in anyone's business (that I've met in real life), I just brought this up after coming across facebook pages and reading them on the news...and oh yeah the shows.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Carter View Post
LOVE this post. In my profession I see overweight/obese people all day long and I would say that 98% think they are the ones who will be able to fool science. The fact of the matter is, that you probably can get away with it for a while.....eventually it catches you. I have yet to have a client who has brought me a note from their doctor saying a) it is OK being 75 pounds overweight and B) they are considered perfectly healthy.

What I generally see is that it takes a compelling event to get ones attention. A scare of some sort. That scare can come from a doctor's firm warning, an actual health episode or results from things like a blood test.

I actually wrote a BLOG last year that was called "Dancing Naked In My Parking Lot" and the point behind it, is once that compelling event happens....what ever it is.....that is when the motivation for change is at it's all time high. It is at that point I could tell that person to "go naked and dance in my parking lot" and they would.

Kris
I got the wake up call last year after doc told me I am a pre diabetic and need to lose weight in order to reverse this. Diabetes or not, I really dont enjoy living this way. My body feels too heavy and I cant even lift my legs comfortably. Of course, I am only 5ft3, I am not destined to carry this much weight.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
If you treat your body right you will not be overweight. If you are overweight you are eating more food than you need to eat for fuel. That is not treating your body right.

People do not like to hear this, but it is the truth. What is wrong with this country is that people live in denial about how much they are really eating. Portion distortion has people thinking a 500-calorie bagel is normal, or eating a whole steak in one sitting is normal. It is not. This country is fat because it eats more than it needs. That is all there is to it.
That might be all there is to it for you, but remember if you are old enough and I serious doubt you are: 50 years ago many families had only 1 car thus we walked more out of necessity. We didn't all have dryers so we hung clothes on the line which meant a lot of bending and reaching. We didn't have dish washers. I wonder how many calories we burned just by doing dishes by hand? Even getting up to answer the phone burned calories or changing the TV. I could go on and on plus the sugar added to foods made a difference. It is hard to adjust ones eating habits to correspond with the changes in life style.

I think though you right about eating more than we should you are over simplifying the problem. It goes deeper. One more thing, we didn't have nearly as many fast foods,, processed foods and snacks we have today.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
These things can happen to anyone, I'm (and some others on here) are not saying it doesnt. However, an obese person is more likely to develop some sort of disease during their life time from being obese, and I dont mean those who eat healthy and are still obese. I am speaking of the ones who eat fast food carbs 3 times a day, munching on potato chips and drinking soda. Those who do not give a care in the world and just eat. I used to be that person. I was 18 and young and just ate whatever I wanted. I kept packing on weight and didnt think I would one day be diagnosed with pre diabetes, and my doctor bluntly told me after asking if diabetes ran in the family "ok, I'm going to be firm, you NEED to lose some weight if you dont want to be a full blown diabetic." This was a wake up call for me.
I just see a lot of people arguing about how being thin doesnt guarantee that you'll be healthy either. Yupe, there's no guarantee but if you compare an average thin person who works out daily and eats healthy with an average obese person who eats junk and doesnt work out, its almost guaranteed that the former would be in better health.
I've never got in anyone's business (that I've met in real life), I just brought this up after coming across facebook pages and reading them on the news...and oh yeah the shows.
Wrong again but you keep telling yourself and others that if it makes you feel better to believe a lie.

Also, if you compare one human to another you are merely shallow and judgemental.
PS ~~ Everything you read on facebook or any other social media is amazingly enough *Not* the absolute truth if it is true at all.

One more thing, I am currently overweight and one side of my family has 98% diabetic members.
I love carbs, hamburgers, and white cake with buttercream icing and I smoke yet *somehow* I do not have diabetes. Now tell me, how can that be?
I did have a stroke but that was partially my own fault and partially related to the huge amount of stress in my life at that time. Had I not had the stress it is unknown if I would have had the stroke.

Spout about what you actually know is the absolute truth, you have to prove yourself much less that way.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Wrong again but you keep telling yourself and others that if it makes you feel better to believe a lie.

Also, if you compare one human to another you are merely shallow and judgemental.
PS ~~ Everything you read on facebook or any other social media is amazingly enough *Not* the absolute truth if it is true at all.

One more thing, I am currently overweight and one side of my family has 98% diabetic members.
I love carbs, hamburgers, and white cake with buttercream icing and I smoke yet *somehow* I do not have diabetes. Now tell me, how can that be?
I did have a stroke but that was partially my own fault and partially related to the huge amount of stress in my life at that time. Had I not had the stress it is unknown if I would have had the stroke.

Spout about what you actually know is the absolute truth, you have to prove yourself much less that way.
I guess everyone is different then, and honestly I think you are very lucky to be able to eat what you want and not have to worry about diabetes. I love to eat as well. I used to love bacon burgers but reality is being overweight does NOT go well for me, otherwise I wouldnt have ended up with pre diabetes. Health risks aside, I really dont enjoy carrying this much weight. It is tiresome and hard on my body. This alone is enough for me to wish all these pounds would magically disappear, but it cant, so I just have to watch what I eat and exercise.

Lets just say I am wrong for generalizing obese people as having health risks, but physically isnt it hard to bend (because of the stomach fat) or dance or even run a 5k marathon? I cant speak for others, they may be able to do it, but as for myself, I wish I could join my sisters and properly engage in the color run. I jog at the speed of them brisk walking.

If you're able to do all of the above, I am really envious of you because I wish I could at this weight.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,170 times
Hello and kudos for taking the initiative to focus on being the BEST version of YOU! I embrace the self-love for those that make a conscious effort to live a healthy lifestyle. Obesity is on a high rise and if we are not mindful of our choices we will find ourselves inflicted with several diseases ignited by excess fat.

I would love to offer some tips on your journey as I get a high off of helping people reach their desired goal. I'm sure you may have heard the majority of them some time before but re-enforcement is always good to reflect on.

Some key pointers that will help you on your wellness journey are essential and will be beneficial if you are consistent and will hold yourself accountable:

Eliminate sugar.
Don't waste your calories on beverages. Drink water and herbal tea only.
Drink 3 liters of water daily.
Drink a protein meal replacement like Natureal, especially if you are pressed for time in the morning or don't eat breakfast.
Reference a monthly meal prep calendar to help you with your produce list and use as a guide to keep you on schedule.
Eliminate gluten.
Minimize your dairy intake.
Eat fresh produce.
Eat organic poultry, meat, wild caught fish.
Utilize your treadmill, HIIT, yoga, domestic chores or activity that you enjoy for 3-5 times per week for 1 consistent hour.
Chew slowly.
Do not eat 3 hours before you rest.
Sleep at least 7 hours daily.
Use a journal to list your foods, exercise activities and progress.
DO NOT become obsessed with a scale. Instead, use a body tape measure weekly to gauge your progress.
Identify an accountability partner and take it one day at a time.

Remember this is a new way of living not a marathon.

Best wishes to you!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:33 PM

711 posts, read 687,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I guess everyone is different then, and honestly I think you are very lucky to be able to eat what you want and not have to worry about diabetes. I love to eat as well. I used to love bacon burgers but reality is being overweight does NOT go well for me, otherwise I wouldnt have ended up with pre diabetes. Health risks aside, I really dont enjoy carrying this much weight. It is tiresome and hard on my body. This alone is enough for me to wish all these pounds would magically disappear, but it cant, so I just have to watch what I eat and exercise.
I have bolded here what I believe to be your ultimate answer. How society in general feels about those who are over or underweight and how those individuals feel about themselves shouldn't matter in the long run.

Getting the repeated message about the health risks or other evils of obesity doesn't change a lot of people. If it did, we'd see nothing but "perfectly" sized people everywhere we looked.

Having a message that additional weight is to be celebrated honestly isn't something I see often. What I do see is more people accepting who they are where they are but not ruling out potential improvements.

I think it's been proven simply by the general behavior of people that you can't generally frighten, shame or guilt someone into a major life change. The desire for change has to come from inside you and you have to set your own path on how to get there.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:06 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,578 times
Quote:

So are you implying that there should be no moderation when it comes to eating, smoking, and drinking? That nothing is guaranteed and people should not be worried about being excessive eaters, smokers, and drinkers because there are always some out there who never develop any types of illnesses related to those three?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss