Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Wrong again but you keep telling yourself and others that if it makes you feel better to believe a lie.

Also, if you compare one human to another you are merely shallow and judgemental.
PS ~~ Everything you read on facebook or any other social media is amazingly enough *Not* the absolute truth if it is true at all.

One more thing, I am currently overweight and one side of my family has 98% diabetic members.
I love carbs, hamburgers, and white cake with buttercream icing and I smoke yet *somehow* I do not have diabetes. Now tell me, how can that be?
I did have a stroke but that was partially my own fault and partially related to the huge amount of stress in my life at that time. Had I not had the stress it is unknown if I would have had the stroke.

Spout about what you actually know is the absolute truth, you have to prove yourself much less that way.
On of my grandmothers was overweight, had a stroke, used chewing tobacco, had high blood pressure, had diabetes and wasn't super active after middle age. She lived to be 82. I have overweight relatives on my dad's side that didn't have any health issues till they were in their 80s. They lived to be 90+.

My other grandmother didn't have any health problems besides Alzheimer's. She was also overweight from her 30s on. She lived to be 79. Dementia is no joke.

I have a lot of 90+ relatives of various sizes. On the flip side I have other relatives with more health problems and died earlier. The only thing for certain is that health is unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:45 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,513 times
Quote:

One more thing, I am currently overweight and one side of my family has 98% diabetic members.
I love carbs, hamburgers, and white cake with buttercream icing and I smoke yet *somehow* I do not have diabetes. Now tell me, how can that be?
I did have a stroke but that was partially my own fault and partially related to the huge amount of stress in my life at that time. Had I not had the stress it is unknown if I would have had the stroke.

There are always exceptions to the rule and there is also a difference between being slightly overweight and being obese. There are lots of studies that show how obesity leads to a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. That is a fact which can't be disproven by your anecdotal evidence. For every healthy obese person I can name you at least one who isn't. The truth is somewhere in between.

This doesn't mean that everyone who is obese will develop one of those things or that people who are not obese won't ever have those health issues.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:57 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,021 times
Quote:
All of those spouting how unhealthy things are when overweight.
How do you explain the very healthy, young, active, athletic, professional cheerleader who had a major stroke?
How do you explain all of the thin, healthy, active humans who are diabetic? who have cancer? who have high blood pressure? who have.........*fill in the blank with any disease or ailment you choose*.
The truth is you can't. There are people who smoke, drink, eat all carbs, red meat and do not exercise who live to be 100 who do not take pills. There are children who have cancer, there are 20 year olds who have heart attacks and strokes.

It is best to tend to one's own life and sweep all the dirt off of one's own glass house porch and stay out of the pantry, kitchen and closet of someone else.
This is a false dichotomy and I am not sure if it is because you are truly unknowledgeable about this or you are playing "devil's advocate."

Genetic predisposition and unseen, undiagnosed congenital defects play very big roles in people who die young. If you were to speak to the doctors and the people who do autopsies on the "healthy, young, active, athletic, professional cheerleader" who had a major stroke, chances are very good that she had undiagnosed hypertension, arrhythmia, or blood vessel disease, and if that was not the case chances are good she was abusing weight-loss drugs or amphetamines of some kind, had anorexia or bulimia, or had some kind of other cause or contribution. The family will never tell friends and news reporters this however.

Healthy young people who have diabetes, cancer, and high blood pressure almost ALWAYS have a genetic predisposition to it. This is enough to do it alone. For generations, strong, apparently healthy people in my family died very young of strokes (in their 40s) before medicine could catch up. But there is also an interplay between nature and nuture, and both environmental factors and personal health behaviors can tip the scale into a predisposition becoming a reality.

As for people who smoke, drink, eat all carbs, eat red meat and do not exercise living to 100, they are pretty much NEVER obese, or even much overweight, and they all tend to be physically active in other ways without "exercising," like gardening, walking, being social (dancing, traveling) etc. When was the last time you saw an obese person over the age of 90? Or even 80? Not 10 or 15 pounds overweight. Obese, as defined in the medical community.

The fact is that the fat--the stuff of obesity--does bad things to the body chemically. It is also a strain on the heart. You do not know more than CDC, NIH, WHO, and the tens of thousands of researchers who have conducted study after study about this. There is a time for opinion and there is a time for fact. The fact is that what you say is wrong. It is not subject to opinion. It is subject to science, and it is wrong.

Last edited by Seija; 01-14-2017 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: make things clearer

Old 01-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
There are always exceptions to the rule and there is also a difference between being slightly overweight and being obese. There are lots of studies that show how obesity leads to a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. That is a fact which can't be disproven by your anecdotal evidence. For every healthy obese person I can name you at least one who isn't. The truth is somewhere in between.

This doesn't mean that everyone who is obese will develop one of those things or that people who are not obese won't ever have those health issues.
I feel a basic class in statistics that explains the bell curve and statistical outliers is in order here.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That might be all there is to it for you, but remember if you are old enough and I serious doubt you are: 50 years ago many families had only 1 car thus we walked more out of necessity. We didn't all have dryers so we hung clothes on the line which meant a lot of bending and reaching. We didn't have dish washers. I wonder how many calories we burned just by doing dishes by hand? Even getting up to answer the phone burned calories or changing the TV. I could go on and on plus the sugar added to foods made a difference. It is hard to adjust ones eating habits to correspond with the changes in life style.

I think though you right about eating more than we should you are over simplifying the problem. It goes deeper. One more thing, we didn't have nearly as many fast foods,, processed foods and snacks we have today.
I made this point in another post someplace here. I said that there are too many conveniences and used electric can openers as an example. I agree with you there. I am also not so young.

Added sugar is bad, yes. It is bad for the body in many ways, and it is also extra calories. Fast foods and processed foods tend to be calorie dense and low on nutrition. They also tend to have things like high-fructose corn syrup. If there is one demon I would like to exorcise from American food, it would be high-fructose corn syrup. There is evidence to suggest that it does nasty things to the liver and turns off appetite "controls" like how alcohol does when people have a couple of drinks and then suddenly they are eating much more than they normally would even if they are not drunk. I am interested in seeing where that research goes, but I am pretty sure from what I have read that it's a rotten thing to add to food.

Last edited by Seija; 01-14-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 03:41 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I made this point in another post someplace here. I said that there are too many conveniences and used electric can openers as an example. I agree with you there. I am also not so young.

Added sugar is bad, yes. It is bad for the body in many ways, and it is also extra calories. Fast foods and processed foods tend to be calorie dense and low on nutrition. They also tend to have things like high-fructose corn syrup. If there is one demon I would like to exorcise from American food, it would be high-fructose corn syrup. There is evidence to suggest that it does nasty things to the liver and turns off appetite "controls" like how alcohol does when people have a couple of drinks and then suddenly they are eating much more than they normally would even if they are not drunk. I am interested in seeing where that research goes, but I am pretty sure from what I have read that it's a rotten thing to add to food.
Sugar is sugar, added or otherwise. It's a quantity thing. It's very easy to get overboard with added sugars as they're just really, really cheap so especially with processed foods you can get just obscene quantities of sugar. But sugar is still sugar. If you have two teaspoons of sugar with your morning coffee and don't have an orange, more or less the same sugar. You lose out on some nutrients and fiber that an orange has that your morning coffee with two teaspoons of sugar do not have but otherwise it's the same potato. Nobody eats ten oranges though while plenty of people get Big Gulp sodas. But then a medium Jamba Juice smoothie, one of the ones with no added sugars, also has about the same amount of sugar as a Big Gulp soda does. The upside with prepared foods trying to get away with the "naturally sweetened" game is they have no shelf life so it's pretty much limited to beverages. If they find a way to natural sweeten a Twinkie using banana puree, however, it's not like it's going to be much better for you than a regular Twinkie despite being "naturally sweetened."

Old 01-16-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sugar is sugar, added or otherwise. It's a quantity thing. It's very easy to get overboard with added sugars as they're just really, really cheap so especially with processed foods you can get just obscene quantities of sugar. But sugar is still sugar. If you have two teaspoons of sugar with your morning coffee and don't have an orange, more or less the same sugar. You lose out on some nutrients and fiber that an orange has that your morning coffee with two teaspoons of sugar do not have but otherwise it's the same potato. Nobody eats ten oranges though while plenty of people get Big Gulp sodas. But then a medium Jamba Juice smoothie, one of the ones with no added sugars, also has about the same amount of sugar as a Big Gulp soda does. The upside with prepared foods trying to get away with the "naturally sweetened" game is they have no shelf life so it's pretty much limited to beverages. If they find a way to natural sweeten a Twinkie using banana puree, however, it's not like it's going to be much better for you than a regular Twinkie despite being "naturally sweetened."
There is evidence to suggest that high-fructose corn syrup is particularly nasty because of the way it is processed by the liver. It is controversial and both sides have good points. I personally do not like what I have read about it so I avoid it whenever possible.

An orange is not the same potato as two teaspoons of table sugar in your coffee, precisely because of the fiber you mention. Fiber slows down glucose absorption in your gut, which is infinitely better for your pancreas and your overall metabolism. It is also better for satiety. Oranges are actually low on the "glycemic index."

Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
There is evidence to suggest that high-fructose corn syrup is particularly nasty because of the way it is processed by the liver. It is controversial and both sides have good points. I personally do not like what I have read about it so I avoid it whenever possible.

An orange is not the same potato as two teaspoons of table sugar in your coffee, precisely because of the fiber you mention. Fiber slows down glucose absorption in your gut, which is infinitely better for your pancreas and your overall metabolism. It is also better for satiety. Oranges are actually low on the "glycemic index."
I love oranges. I usually eat one at night for my dessert.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:53 PM

586 posts, read 830,841 times
Quote:

I agree that although fruits have sugar in them, they are processed differently. I do trial and error and play around with my food to avoid spikes in my blood sugars. Whenever I eat an orange, apple, watermelons etc. my blood sugar never spikes.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:43 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
Quote:
All of those spouting how unhealthy things are when overweight.
How do you explain the very healthy, young, active, athletic, professional cheerleader who had a major stroke?
How do you explain all of the thin, healthy, active humans who are diabetic? who have cancer? who have high blood pressure? who have.........*fill in the blank with any disease or ailment you choose*.
The truth is you can't. There are people who smoke, drink, eat all carbs, red meat and do not exercise who live to be 100 who do not take pills. There are children who have cancer, there are 20 year olds who have heart attacks and strokes.

It is best to tend to one's own life and sweep all the dirt off of one's own glass house porch and stay out of the pantry, kitchen and closet of someone else.
anybody can cherry pick and mention useless anomalies as a justification for their gluttony/fatness. it's just a feeble attempt to placate an overinflated ego(waistline too) and display to the world that you're somehow superior to others while failing to take personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss