Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 10:59 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Agreed. Doorways in old buildings in Europe, going back to the 1500s, are SMALL. Seems like most people barely soared to the lofty heights of five feet. Modern day Germans, Dutch, and Scandinavian people are of above average height, and the result of that is major changes in diet and nutrition.

Compare the differences of Korean people between north and south to see how diet can affect an entire population in less than fifty years.
I'm of Dutch descent. I am a woman, six feet and one-half inch tall. Both my grandmothers, born in 1892 and 1907, were 5'8". The Dutch are the tallest people in the world.

I read an article about this a year or so ago, and the conclusion is that it's got to do with the large amounts of cheese that the Dutch consume.

I flew to Amsterdam a few years ago on Icelandair. My flight was stopping at Keflavik airport, where everyone on the plane would switch to either Amsterdam or Oslo. When I got to the gate at EWR, I was amazed and delighted to find that the majority of my fellow passengers were as tall, taller, or nearly as tall as I was. It was wonderful, and it occurred to me that this is what it must be like for the rest of you to always be surrounded by people of your own height. Go cheese.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Personally, I don't care what people decide they want to eat. My issue with fast food isn't that it is unhealthy (a pan-fried burger and deep fried chips made at home is just as bad for you), it's that it doesn't taste that great for the price you pay for it. The last couple of times I ate it, the burger was OK but the fries were cold and gross. As far as pizza goes, I have yet to try a pizza joint that makes a pie as good as my wife can. YMMV.
Yeah, I see you are from the "true north". I spend a few years up there, and alas, good pizza is just not a thing in Canada. When I would go back to New Jersey, that's the first thing I would get, a pie from a real family-owned pizza place. I loved your country in spite of that flaw.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:23 AM

256 posts, read 114,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, I see you are from the "true north". I spend a few years up there, and alas, good pizza is just not a thing in Canada.
What did you think of the beloved Canadian dish Poutine? And, is that considered fast food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 12:26 PM

6,700 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
I'm of Dutch descent. I am a woman, six feet and one-half inch tall.
That is an annoying height. You can’t say "six and a half", nor "six foot a half". Interesting that the Dutch are so tall. Others from northern Europe as well. A guy from Finland came to a talk at a technical conference I was at, and he was huge, must have been 6'8". A German guy I used to work with was also super tall, easily the tallest one in the company, and we had a few tall guys working there.

Old 02-14-2024, 06:44 PM

2,055 posts, read 996,765 times
Quote:
I read an article about this a year or so ago, and the conclusion is that it's got to do with the large amounts of cheese that the Dutch consume.

I flew to Amsterdam a few years ago on Icelandair. My flight was stopping at Keflavik airport, where everyone on the plane would switch to either Amsterdam or Oslo. When I got to the gate at EWR, I was amazed and delighted to find that the majority of my fellow passengers were as tall, taller, or nearly as tall as I was. It was wonderful, and it occurred to me that this is what it must be like for the rest of you to always be surrounded by people of your own height. Go cheese.
You and I have covered this in other threads, I'm almost as tall as you and of German ancestry and had the same experience when I visited Amsterdam as an adult. For the first time ever I wasn't the tall freak! At the time I lived in a Hispanic-majority part of the US and was so used to always standing out in a crowd because I stood a head taller than the general population.

And I think northern Europeans eat far more dairy products than we do, not just cheese. At some point in school I remember learning that improved varieties of higher-protein wheat also contributed to people getting taller. Probably a combination of the two.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:35 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
Society isn't shaming you, your colleagues are. They're very rude to do so.

Though if you're really only eating it in moderation, like once a month, I doubt they'd be saying anything.

However, fast food IS really bad. It's not just about calories or fat or weight gain, it's unhealthy ingredients like seed oils and white flour that cause deeper issues in your body, with long term repercussions. Fast food isn't demonized enough.

Old 02-16-2024, 01:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
What did you think of the beloved Canadian dish Poutine? And, is that considered fast food?
We have eaten Poutine in Canada but also at a couple of restaurants here in the Seattle area, and have made it at home. In fact we brought back some cheese curds when at the Tillamook visitor center in Oregon, just for the Poutine. I t would be fast food if it was available at fast food places, which it might be in Canada? Here we have only found it in proper sit-down service restaurants. Note: We also like HP sauce, Dare cookies, Timbits and Maple Syrup.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:35 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
I'm of Dutch descent. I am a woman, six feet and one-half inch tall. Both my grandmothers, born in 1892 and 1907, were 5'8". The Dutch are the tallest people in the world.

That makes sense, I guess. Cheese and meat-high protein.

I grew up eating a lot of both since my father was an avid hunter of moose and deer.

Now that I'm an older man at 6'5", meat and cheese play practically no part of my diet.

Yes, always being around shorter people can be a problem. For instance, this can contribute to poor posture.

But we digress... Fast food tastes awful! How's that for being judgmental?

Old 02-19-2024, 10:44 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
There used to be a thread (I created) called "Frugal Food Finds." Not sure what happened to it?

But there are some decent deals out there, especially if you use the app, such as at McDonald's.

I never stop at FF places without there being a deal offered or coupons clipped (increasingly hard to find), but I enjoy it when those justify my indulgence. Don't forget to request your senior discount, if applicable.

Old 02-19-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I wasn't sure what it even was at first, and then we ordered some fried fish and chips (as popular as pizza in NJ) and the order came with a free poutine.

When I was married, my now-ex's best friend owned a pub that served food, and one of our fave things to get with our beer was French fries with cheese and gravy. Turns out that's more or less what poutine is. They use cheese curds while I'm sure the pub was using American cheese, but there's not much of a difference when it's melted and covered in brown gravy.

I don't know how beloved it is. I ended up being the only one ever eating it. I guess it would be considered fast food but then again, they have a fast food place called Loaded Perogi, which is perogies with different toppings. And if you don't want perogies as your base, you have other choices, including poutine.

https://loadedpierogi.com/

I do miss Loaded Perogi, as well as Harvey's, which is the BEST fast-food burger place ever, and there are none in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss