Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2024, 03:27 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I thought we weren't eating much fast food in the '60s and '70s? That would point to it being genetic -- which it is - rather than dietary.
Of course there is a genetic component but it's mostly diet now that's killing people early. The USA now has a pathetic and going down average lifespan and it's mostly due to a poor diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 09:43 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I thought we weren't eating much fast food in the '60s and '70s? That would point to it being genetic -- which it is - rather than dietary.
A few things:

The average American's diet has been transformed since the 1960s. The problem is not only "fast food" from restaurants, it's all the ultra-processed foods (UPFs) which include fast foods. Grocery stores are full of UPFs with comparatively very little natural whole foods.

About 73% of the US food supply is UPF. UPFs weren't a major part of an average American's diet in the 1960s. They became a major part in the 1980s. Today, about 60% or more of an average American's diet is UPF. A steady decline in consuming natural whole foods prepared at home with only culinary ingredients began in the 1970s. Obesity and chronic illnesses steadily increased since the 1970s.

The average American meal today is also larger portions and higher calorie foods with the majority consisting of UPFs. Not to mention a lot more snacking and drinking UPFs.

The average American's lifestyle has also been transformed to become more sedentary since the 1960s due to modern conveniences at work, in leisure activities and diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Of course there is a genetic component but it's mostly diet now that's killing people early. The USA now has a pathetic and going down average lifespan and it's mostly due to a poor diet.
The only genetic component is that most people aren't consuming what their genes are expecting and need. They are consuming an unnatural human diet of mostly UPFs. These foods have very poor, if any, nutrition and genes can't use them or know what to do with them. The adverse effects of regular consumption of ultra-processed foods are well established (chronic illnesses and/or added weight).

Old 01-11-2024, 11:40 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
A few things:

The average American's diet has been transformed since the 1960s. The problem is not only "fast food" from restaurants, it's all the ultra-processed foods (UPFs) which include fast foods. Grocery stores are full of UPFs with comparatively very little natural whole foods.

About 73% of the US food supply is UPF. UPFs weren't a major part of an average American's diet in the 1960s. They became a major part in the 1980s. Today, about 60% or more of an average American's diet is UPF. A steady decline in consuming natural whole foods prepared at home with only culinary ingredients began in the 1970s. Obesity and chronic illnesses steadily increased since the 1970s.

The average American meal today is also larger portions and higher calorie foods with the majority consisting of UPFs. Not to mention a lot more snacking and drinking UPFs.

The average American's lifestyle has also been transformed to become more sedentary since the 1960s due to modern conveniences at work, in leisure activities and diet.

The only genetic component is that most people aren't consuming what their genes are expecting and need. They are consuming an unnatural human diet of mostly UPFs. These foods have very poor, if any, nutrition and genes can't use them or know what to do with them. The adverse effects of regular consumption of ultra-processed foods are well established (chronic illnesses and/or added weight).
Three major things can be pinpointed to having occurred during the 70s into the 80s: The American food supply changed radically as you've noted, the eating habits of Americans changed radically as you've noted, and Americans have gotten significantly more obese.

All this happened within the course of twenty years, all of them within living memory, including my own. I personally remember all those changes occurring, what they were before and what they are now.

What did not change during that time is the genetic makeup of American human beings. It didn't change anywhere else in the world, either.

But we can map the spread of obesity around the world positively to the spread of American foods.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:50 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Three major things can be pinpointed to having occurred during the 70s into the 80s: The American food supply changed radically as you've noted, the eating habits of Americans changed radically as you've noted, and Americans have gotten significantly more obese.

All this happened within the course of twenty years, all of them within living memory, including my own. I personally remember all those changes occurring, what they were before and what they are now.

What did not change during that time is the genetic makeup of American human beings. It didn't change anywhere else in the world, either.

But we can map the spread of obesity around the world positively to the spread of American foods.
Another thing that happened is that low-calorie and low-fat diets became popular due to really bad advice from the US government and doctors. They replaced the time-proven low carb diets that had been successful for nearly a century.

There is no evidence that low calorie or low fat diets work for anything but the briefest weight loss. (Do please share any legitimate large, long-term studies if you still believe the calories in/calories out theories.)
Instead, there are many studies that show they cause reduced metabolism and future weight GAINS.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:13 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Fast food is gross LOL. Sorry, I don't see how people eat that slimy, greasy stuff.
Fast food by definition is food that can be prepared fast and there is good and bad fast food.
Not all fast food is created equally.
Sadly, most of US fast food JOINTS sell the bad kind of food. American fast food is lower quality and more unhealthy than fast food in Europe that has much stricter standards on what ingredients can be used.
US fast food (and generally restaurant food) is high in calories, loaded with saturated fat, sugar and teeming with more sodium than any person should eat.

Fast food could be so much healthier if you prioritize rotisserie, roasted, grilled, poached or sautéed meat or fish options over fried or processed, and of course veggies. And skip white bread (in most places you probably don't have other options), croutons, cheese, fatty dressings, crackers, most condiments and mayo based sauces. Watch the portion sizes.
Nowadays many places list the total calories amount per dish, so pay attention to that.

Here are few tips:
https://familydoctor.org/making-heal...d-restaurants/

https://www.eatthis.com/healthy-fast-food/

https://www.eatthis.com/healthy-eating/

And avoid that:
https://www.eatthis.com/unhealthiest...od-menu-items/

Old 01-11-2024, 02:14 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
When you pay 100% of the costs of your healthcare, you can do whatever you want.

So long as I am footing the bill for your healthcare, my house, my rules. Get over it.
Are you OP's mother/father? If not, why are you paying their bills? They're Canadian, too, so if you're American you can't even say your taxes pay their medical care... unlike us, they have a handle on the healthcare thing.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Thoughts?
I don't care what anyone else eats; I don't eat fast food very often (pretty much only on road trips), because it doesn't sit well in my stomach or fit within my dietary needs. But you do you.

Did you ever answer the question on page 1, regarding how old/young you are? That makes a difference. When I was young, I could eat things I cannot tolerate now at 47.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
OP: How do you feel about Pink Slime?

Fast food is gross, not because of "empty calories," but because the ingredients are gross.

I recently read an article on Taco Bell that said their "meat" only contains 37% (plus or minus) meat - the rest is filler - and they listed the ingredients and they are not nutritious or even decent for consumption.
Some of us don't eat meat/beef, whether at a fast food restaurant or otherwise. If I go to a fast food joint, I'm usually getting a salad and french fries.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Another thing that happened is that low-calorie and low-fat diets became popular due to really bad advice from the US government and doctors. They replaced the time-proven low carb diets that had been successful for nearly a century.

There is no evidence that low calorie or low fat diets work for anything but the briefest weight loss. (Do please share any legitimate large, long-term studies if you still believe the calories in/calories out theories.)
Instead, there are many studies that show they cause reduced metabolism and future weight GAINS.
Well, they replaced fats with salt, sugar, and trans-fats...which are worse than lard ever was.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Fast food by definition is food that can be prepared fast and there is good and bad fast food.
Not all fast food is created equally.
Sadly, most of US fast food JOINTS sell the bad kind of food. American fast food is lower quality and more unhealthy than fast food in Europe that has much stricter standards on what ingredients can be used.
US fast food (and generally restaurant food) is high in calories, loaded with saturated fat, sugar and teeming with more sodium than any person should eat.

Fast food could be so much healthier if you prioritize rotisserie, roasted, grilled, poached or sautéed meat or fish options over fried or processed, and of course veggies. And skip white bread (in most places you probably don't have other options), croutons, cheese, fatty dressings, crackers, most condiments and mayo based sauces. Watch the portion sizes.
Nowadays many places list the total calories amount per dish, so pay attention to that.
That's why I pointed out early in the thread that prior to the 70s, "fast food" in the US was merely regular food prepared in a casual diner. Today, there are "food products" specifically designed and created as "fast food" in most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss