Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 06:13 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times

Advertisements

Fast Food = Poison. Read more about it in Joel Furhman's Fast Food Genocide book.

https://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Gen.../dp/0062571214

Here are some pdf slides from a Dr. Fuhrman presentation.

https://pbnhc.com/admin/resources/13...0PBNHC-Mac.pdf

From pages 17-18 - the health outcomes that result from over consumption of fast food:

• 47% more high blood pressure
• 80% increased risk of fatal stroke
• Twice as likely to die from heart attacks
• Double the risk of developing dementia
• 4 X likely to have kidney failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bhbr6F9hPc&t=1274s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flm10GuXSsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 06:35 PM

7,726 posts, read 3,778,838 times
My brother ate a lot of McDonalds style food and fried food. He's not overweight at all, and he's quite active in ballroom dance so he gets some exercise.

And 6 weeks ago he had open heart surgery - a quadruple bypass. His coronary arteries were about 85% blocked.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:58 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I think the people who preach "How can you eat that garbage" are similar to the people who say "How can you watch TV, it's all garbage."

Some people just feel the need to establish themselves as superior to others. Of course, the "superiority" is only in their own heads, but it makes them feel "better".

The best advice I ever received was "All things in moderation".

The zealots, who can't stand anyone enjoying themselves in ways that they themselves don't enjoy, are more to be pitied than envied.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:11 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I think the people who preach "How can you eat that garbage" are similar to the people who say "How can you watch TV, it's all garbage."

Some people just feel the need to establish themselves as superior to others. Of course, the "superiority" is only in their own heads, but it makes them feel "better".

The best advice I ever received was "All things in moderation".

The zealots, who can't stand anyone enjoying themselves in ways that they themselves don't enjoy, are more to be pitied than envied.
I think there’s a certain level of snobbery that’s been accepted in our culture when it comes to diets. A chicken parmigiana from a high end grocery store is seen as OK but you eat KFC in front of someone and the same person might be judgemental about it. You can drink an iced Frappuccino with whipped cream and caramel from Starbucks at your work desk and no one bats an eye but you get a milkshake from McDonalds and all the sudden you’re killing yourself with fat and sugar. A lot of this fad diet push doesn’t actually change the amount of protein you’re getting, or fibre or reduce carbs or anything, it just encourages people to eat more pretentious style foods. I like burgers and pizza and I think it’s funny some people think that’s not Ok.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:12 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I dunno. I am trying to lose the weight I put on in Ontario over the past two years eating too much fast food. I was FORCED to eat it! LOL. J/K. No, actually, the sad situation (caregiving and death) I was in meant that I ate too much fast food and too many orders from Skip. Now I'm undoing that damage.

I'm winding down a last visit in Ontario and have been eating lots of salads and fresh vegetables and fruit from Ontario farms. Good (not fried) fish, too. But before I go back to NJ, you can bet your ass I'm getting a burger from Harvey's. Best fast food ever, no other chain can compare, and we don't have them in the States.

And the very best veggie burger in the world comes from a Canadian meatfest of a restaurant called Montana's. Weird but true.

I agree with your post. Mind your own business and don't comment on other people's food choices.
Harvey’s is my favourite too. Not sure if it’s just an Ontario thing but I don’t remember ever seeing one in Montreal or elsewhere in Quebec. Nothing beats their onion rings

Old 08-30-2023, 07:45 PM

6,009 posts, read 2,832,710 times
The ridiculous amounts of salt and sugar found in most fast food is what keeps me away. There's a reason type-2 diabetes is on the rise and it's because most processed food is full of sugar and/or sweeteners. Processed foods are also full of endocrine disruptors amongst other hazardous substances. I'm usually left disgusted after reading the ingredient labels on most processed foods.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:18 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Just for reference I have a 30 waist and don’t have a belly. I do short, light workouts with weights a couple times a week and go for walks occasionally on weekends when I can. I also eat fast food like burgers, fried chicken, pizza around 4 or 5 times a week.

I like these foods but people sometimes at work and at gatherings make comments about me eating McDonalds, Harvey’s etc like “how can you eat that crap?” And “it’s just empty calories”. So what? If someone eats lots of vegetables and protein as well I don’t see why it can’t be part of a balanced diet. It tastes good, is fast so I don’t have to pack a lunch always, and I don’t see how it’s any worse than someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks, which many of my colleagues do.

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
I agree. And it's incredibly rude. Like seriously, under what other circumstances is it acceptable to trash people's food? If someone doesn't like fast food, someone doesn't have to eat fast food. But people should really keep their judgements about other's food to themselves. Just my two cents anyway.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:33 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
The ridiculous amounts of salt and sugar found in most fast food is what keeps me away. There's a reason type-2 diabetes is on the rise and it's because most processed food is full of sugar and/or sweeteners. Processed foods are also full of endocrine disruptors amongst other hazardous substances. I'm usually left disgusted after reading the ingredient labels on most processed foods.
Likewise. There's been random published experiments done on leaving certain fast food items at room temperature for months and months, and it doesn't get moldy or break down. Not sure what they're adding to the food, but that's gross. I personally try to avoid eating bread with added preservatives. To NOT see mold on bread after a week or so strikes me as unnatural.

I honestly don't care what people want to eat, it's a personal choice. I get how people can be snooty about it, but there's more important things to worry about. I've been on the opposite end of that stick, where people have teased me, been annoyed, or even lectured me for my dietary choices, which at the time was vegetarian or vegan. What business is it of yours what I like to eat?

Old 08-31-2023, 06:57 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Just for reference I have a 30 waist and don’t have a belly. I do short, light workouts with weights a couple times a week and go for walks occasionally on weekends when I can. I also eat fast food like burgers, fried chicken, pizza around 4 or 5 times a week.

I like these foods but people sometimes at work and at gatherings make comments about me eating McDonalds, Harvey’s etc like “how can you eat that crap?” And “it’s just empty calories”. So what? If someone eats lots of vegetables and protein as well I don’t see why it can’t be part of a balanced diet. It tastes good, is fast so I don’t have to pack a lunch always, and I don’t see how it’s any worse than someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks, which many of my colleagues do.

My point is, I wish society wouldn’t shame people so much for the kinds of foods they like. You can eat anything and have it as part of a balanced diet, it’s just about moderation.

Thoughts?
I think if you're burning your calories and not storing fat, probably you're doing fine. As we age, it's important to stay active, limit our calories and not build up fat (I speaketh from experience; in my 60s with fat around the waist that I never used to have, now trying to burn it off at the gym ).

As you get older, you may need to cut back on the grease and starch, because our bodies tend to get less efficient at burning that kind of fuel. Increasing your cardio can also help, but be careful about thinking "I can work out like I'm 19!" because our tendons and muscles become less resilient to stress over time.

Also, remember to drink lots of water which helps with flushing the toxins out of the body. An occasional massage therapy session will dislodge dead cells and flush them out as well; that dizzy feeling you get at the end of an hour-long deep massage means your system is flushing the toxins out, and water is definitely recommended at that time.

It sounds like you have a positive attitude which also goes a long way.

My kid has been working at the local McDonald's all through high school, which means I've spent probably more time there than ever before -- working from home for the past 9-10 years, it's a way to get out of the house & just sit with my laptop and headphones and $0.99 coffee. Of course, my kid will bring me out a free bag of fries or ice cream.

My strategy is to get a quarter-pounder loaded with condiments, and (mostly) not eat the bread which has absorbed the grease of the burger. Quarter-pounders are made fresh and are the best meat you can get at a McD's, according to my kid. I take the bread and fries home and feed it to the chickens. They love it. The McChicken is good, too, speaking of which. I use the McD's app, which accumulates points & has all the coupon deals such as "free fries with any purchase" or "20% off any purchase over $2" or similar.

Occasionally I will get the $10 KFC bucket deal which yields about 6 meals. Sometimes I eat the skin but other times I just throw it in the chicken bucket. Yeah, everyone loves chicken!

Old 08-31-2023, 07:04 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Anyone can find something healthy to eat at any fast food place, if they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss