Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 09:23 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Harvey’s is my favourite too. Not sure if it’s just an Ontario thing but I don’t remember ever seeing one in Montreal or elsewhere in Quebec. Nothing beats their onion rings
I don't know. I've only spent time in Ontario so far.

I like that they offer "frings", a combo of french fries and onion rings, but I tend to avoid them except for one or two because the fried stuff gives me heartburn.

But good burgers, much better tasting than McDonald's or Burger King.

I have been in Ontario for three weeks now, but in a rural area where the fast food choice is only McDonald's. I've been eating tons of local produce and fish. I'm now in the GTA for a few days for a wedding, but I am getting a Harvey's burger before I leave the country Sunday.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:24 AM

350 posts, read 195,714 times
My thoughts are:

it's rude for people to lecture you out-of-the-blue about what you're eating even if it is artery-clogging, kidney-destroying, sodium-addicting, metabolic-disordering garbage that you're chosing.

P.S. There is no comparison with someone eating sugary frozen yoghurt or frozen drinks from Starbucks. Except the same saturated fat in the worst ones at Starbucks. From MILK. Are you saying everyone should go vegan? Agreed! Are you asking them if they're ordering "light"? Fat free milk, sugar free, dairy free etc or just assumming everyone is drinking 600 calorie Frappuccinos because it's in a Starbucks cup daily?

P.S.2 Take it FWIW but Dr. Esselstyn has a motto often repeated by other Lifestyle Medicine doctors "Moderation Kills". He was Bill Clinton's "mentor" cardiologist.

Last edited by jaxrivers; 09-01-2023 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 09:25 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
A lot of this health stuff feels so performative. A lot of people will happily chow down on tempura at a Japanese restaurant and dunk it in a sugary dipping sauce but do the same with chicken McNuggets (which here in Canada the meat is 100% chicken breast hence why they’re so expensive) and people look at you like you’ve committed some kind of moral taboo. I don’t drink a lot of pop personally because I don’t like how the corn syrup in it cakes onto my teeth. I avoid those Frappuccino type cold coffee drinks for the same reason but they’re viewed completely differently by society.
Ramen and white rice are huge staples in Japan, but the Japanese themselves admit it's fattening and not all that nutritious. Koreans (in South Korea at least) say the same thing.

I am a huge fan of Asian cuisine and make ramen at home quite frequently. But lately I've been modifying it. I'll break the noodle brick in half, and give half to the chickens. (not sure how good it is for them but they love it.) I'll cook it in bone broth instead of water (which I think is how the authentic ramen restaurants do it), add some fresh veggies and garden grown herbs, and a freshly cooked egg or two on top. The noodles become more of a sidebar than the central focus.

As for General Gau's Chicken, sweet-and-sour-garbage, deep fried breaded anything, huge servings of white rice fried or otherwise... AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Though, I do love onigiri and moderate servings of rice with miso broth and natto added.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:28 AM

350 posts, read 195,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I like that they offer "frings", a combo of french fries and onion rings, but I tend to avoid them except for one or two because the fried stuff gives me heartburn.

snip
Likely because they only have under 300 locations versus McDonald's with over 40,000 worldwide, 12,000 in the US alone.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:36 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I have been in Ontario for three weeks now, but in a rural area where the fast food choice is only McDonald's. I've been eating tons of local produce and fish. I'm now in the GTA for a few days for a wedding, but I am getting a Harvey's burger before I leave the country Sunday.
When I was a kid, "fast food" was just regular food cooked in a regular way in an informal diner. A hamburger was real, locally sourced grass-fed beef, for instance. French fries were potatoes sliced on the premises and fried in lard (which is actually far healthier than processed vegetable oil). Even "the colonel's recipe" for Kentucky Fried Chicken back in the day was a far different product than KFC today.

The situation with beef in America is a curious one. When I was a kid, practically all the beef people ate was grass-fed. Grass-fed beef was the low-cost beef; grain-fed beef was expensive. That's the way it had been for the entire history of agriculture. When you read in the Old Testament, thousands of years ago, about "the fatted calf" being slaughtered for an honored guest, that was the grain-fed calf.

The situation of grass-fed being cheaper got turned 180 degrees by the shenanigans of the corn industry and the government in the 70s and 80s. Between taxes on ranch lands and subsidies to corn growers, it became cheaper to raise cattle on feed lots instead of grasslands, feeding them corn and corn products (including Skittles).

Old 09-01-2023, 11:33 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
If you don't have access to an oven or stove and only have a mini fridge, sometimes fast food is all you can have. To me, baked goods are the problem with weight gain but sometimes you gotta have dessert.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:45 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
If you don't have access to an oven or stove and only have a mini fridge, sometimes fast food is all you can have. To me, baked goods are the problem with weight gain but sometimes you gotta have dessert.
That is a point to be considered. Having a halfway decent kitchen does make a huge difference. The dependence of fast food is a product of several social changes that occurred in the 80s.

OTOH, there are "fast foods" and there is fairly wholesome food made in casual kitchens. That takes some care in selection.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:09 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
A lot of this health stuff feels so performative. A lot of people will happily chow down on tempura at a Japanese restaurant and dunk it in a sugary dipping sauce but do the same with chicken McNuggets (which here in Canada the meat is 100% chicken breast hence why they’re so expensive) and people look at you like you’ve committed some kind of moral taboo. I don’t drink a lot of pop personally because I don’t like how the corn syrup in it cakes onto my teeth. I avoid those Frappuccino type cold coffee drinks for the same reason but they’re viewed completely differently by society.

I’ve never had Japanese or Indian food. Chinese maybe once every few years and it takes weeks to work out of my system. I don’t do Starbucks or any coffees. If I drink soda it’s the real sugar kind. I’ve had the Dunkin’ drinks in the past but they have tons of sugar and calories.

You’re lucky you get real chicken from McDonald’s! I think the US does a disservice to its citizens with food regulations.

Sounds like you’re dealing with the type who says “I’ll take a donut and a Diet Coke”

Old 09-01-2023, 12:51 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,253 times
I am really fit and used to eat a lot of junk food. Like you I wasn't going over the caloric maintenance so no weight gain. Eventually it clogged my blood vessels and caused circulation issues. I fixed it by eating one meal in 5 days, normal diet for a week and another 3 days of fasting. No more junk food for me.

Old 09-01-2023, 01:10 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
All I can say is that the fast food place closest to my neck of the woods always has a line for the drive thru going out practically to the road. Go inside the place and there are lines for the registers. Lots of people speak badly about fast food but there wouldn't be those kind of lines if people weren't eating it.

I actually am one who really does rarely eat fast food because, with few exceptions, most of the meals have way more carbs and calories than my body needs or can handle. But when I do have it on rare occasions it tastes good to me and I don't worry about the empty calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss