Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 02:55 PM

481 posts, read 412,267 times

Advertisements

They tend to over-roast their coffee. Since Sumatra is meant to be roasted longer, it comes out really great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 03:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,529,753 times
We never go there any more since we discovered Dutch Bros. Unfortunately the nearest is about 40 minutes away, but worth the drive, and there are others along the way when we travel up or down I5. Of course we never actually get just coffee, that I make at home. I will get a mocha in the morning or on a cold day, and a Grasshopper freeze in the afternoon. On those times that we drive just for the drink it's going to be about $5 plus the gas but we don't do it often.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:25 PM

17,435 posts, read 15,564,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Same here, I'd ask for a black coffee, which I guess isn't typical.

My son just gave it up. He just calculated how much sugar and caffeine he was getting.
The black coffee is all I ever get from there myself, and I don't think it's ever come across as atypical. Something about their coffee just tastes better than other places, to me. But like I said, I pretty much just get their K-cups from the store and throw into the office Keurig. Not AS good, but almost.
I tend to stop in at actual Starbucks when I am walking around NYC as they are literally everywhere, and it is super convenient.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:36 PM

20,205 posts, read 9,108,695 times
WFH is partly responsible. People don't leave the house anymore. They used to stop for coffee on the way to work, now it's an independent trip. Plus it's gotten pretty expensive for low income people.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:44 PM

17,435 posts, read 15,564,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
WFH is partly responsible. People don't leave the house anymore. They used to stop for coffee on the way to work, now it's an independent trip. Plus it's gotten pretty expensive for low income people.
Starbucks has always been expensive for low income people, and I don't think that's ever been their target clientele. I agree with you regarding WFH however.
That said, the only times I ever actually sat down in a Starbucks (aside from airports and such) was when I was working from home, as I'd get bored sitting in the house all day, and would routinely need a change of atmosphere, so I'd take my laptop to Starbucks, or to a quiet lounge or something.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 6,173,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I am going to say no to work from home being a reason, but I like how you think outside the box.

Starbucks profit was up 12% for 2023 and up 8% since 2021. If anything, more people are being forced to return to work, so you have worse sales even as some people are commuting more than in 2022.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:03 PM

107,009 posts, read 109,295,440 times
“In this environment, many customers have been more exacting about where and how they choose to spend their money,” Starbucks’ CEO Laxman Narasimhan told analysts on the company’s conference call”

Old 05-07-2024, 04:07 PM

30,364 posts, read 23,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Is this a sign of a bad economy or simply people are tired of starbucks?

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/star...y?id=109951082
They're tired of standing in line for 30 minutes to get a drink.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:24 PM

5,496 posts, read 6,347,769 times
Starbucks grew up with Gen Xers, and really captured Millennials, but I think they’ve pretty much failed to capture the Gen Z youngsters. Their largely millennial customer base is now cutting back to keep up with higher rents and mortgages, food inflation and child care costs, and the Gen Zers don’t view the Starbucks mermaid as a status symbol the way their parents did. They don’t want lame “Mom coffee”, especially not at $6 per cup, and they definitely don’t want fancy olive oil lol. The Gen Zers want energy drinks, not coffee, and would rather spend $3 on a Celsius or Monster at a c-store.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Dutch Bros. They’ve done a great job capturing the Gen Z kids with their coffee and Blue Rebel energy drink mix. IMHO, Starbucks would be better off by focusing on the youngsters with value type products and more visibility with their energy drinks. Perhaps a partnership with CELH or MNST?

Will their seemingly clueless CEO get it? It was really interesting to see Howard Shultz address the company’s issues publicly. Starbucks needs to change with the times or slowly die of complacency.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:40 PM

19,905 posts, read 9,464,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Is this a sign of a bad economy or simply people are tired of starbucks?

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/star...y?id=109951082
My guess is that inflation is hitting the middle income people hard, and paying over $2 for a cup of coffee that you can make at home and put in a hot cup with lid for less than 50 cents (if you buy the cups and lids in bulk which are about 30 cents per cup/lid https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...1zcF9hdGY&th=1 ) -- well, that could be a savings of about $30 a month. That doesn't seem like much, but that would total about $360 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics