Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 12:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 3,898,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Don't forget tje motel fist-fight over the waffle-maker, in Ludingtom MI.

Personall, the EV has absolutelt nothing that trumps being able to sleep in Topeka knowing you can drive all day tomorrow.
True -- but I thought the only people who voluntarily are in Topeka are in the Federal Witness Relocation Program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 02:22 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,245,805 times
I've never had a problem with using an EV charger at hotel, but my wife and tend to travel during the off-peak seasons when our credit card offers amazing concessions, occupancy is lower, and highway traffic is a breeze. Our 127k miles old Tesla has free Supercharging so I generally try to charge at the last site before we reach our destination so I have at least 40%-60% SOC before turning in for the night. If the hotel has chargers that aren't utilized, I'll top it off to 80% and unplug before the end of the night just in case others may charge. Very rarely do I charge overnight.

Personally, I think the valet could manage the charging levels and move the cars around accordingly, or folks can leave a post-it note on the car or charging saying it's okay to remove after a set time...like "remove plug after 2:15pm." or something. Induction charging while slower and less efficient can solve the problem too and hope it becomes a reality before this problem gets bigger with more EV adoption mixed with self-interested attitudes.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:55 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,259,406 times
Reminds me of apartment building laundry rooms.

People leave their clothes in the machines after the machine has finished running. In NYC, if you are not back when the machine stops and people are waiting, be prepared to find your clean clothes on top of the machine or worse.

Old 06-11-2023, 06:29 PM

3,380 posts, read 9,221,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
That's why Tesla chargers are the best, if you over charged they will bill you for each hour of parking.
Not the case with unnetworked destination chargers at hotels.

Old 06-12-2023, 04:17 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,857,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
That's why Tesla chargers are the best, if you over charged they will bill you for each hour of parking.
There’s a solution. If others can’t do that then the hotel should call for a tow truck to remove cars that are left there beyond a time limit.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:08 AM

9,536 posts, read 9,861,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Uh no - read the studies instead of just guessing on infrastructure - there is a DOE report on the infrastructure to support EVs that says essentially that current plan should support even the most aggressive EV adoption rate.
I would like to read that plan if you could provide a link to it?

I'm pro EV, but I still have doubts if the grid can handle a massive surge of EV's charging, without some major upgrades to the grid.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:15 AM

9,536 posts, read 9,861,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I've never had a problem with using an EV charger at hotel, but my wife and tend to travel during the off-peak seasons when our credit card offers amazing concessions, occupancy is lower, and highway traffic is a breeze. Our 127k miles old Tesla has free Supercharging so I generally try to charge at the last site before we reach our destination so I have at least 40%-60% SOC before turning in for the night. If the hotel has chargers that aren't utilized, I'll top it off to 80% and unplug before the end of the night just in case others may charge. Very rarely do I charge overnight.

Personally, I think the valet could manage the charging levels and move the cars around accordingly, or folks can leave a post-it note on the car or charging saying it's okay to remove after a set time...like "remove plug after 2:15pm." or something. Induction charging while slower and less efficient can solve the problem too and hope it becomes a reality before this problem gets bigger with more EV adoption mixed with self-interested attitudes.
As we begin to seriously adopt EV's over the next decade, we will all have to learn some new charging etiquette and habits as you have done.

It will have to start with penalties, such as fines or surcharges if you charge well past your the time you are full.

Or we will need to see a massive amount of chargers installed. For overnight parking at hotels, wireless charging could be the answer.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:58 AM

10,939 posts, read 4,600,843 times
I do a lot of traveling for my job and stay every week in a lot of hotels and I can honestly say, the most annoying hotel guests are most definitely not ones using EV chargers - in fact, I see next to zero evs at hotels. Nah, Id look elsewhere for annoying hotel guests...wont be hard to find them.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:18 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,578,088 times
Kinda speaks to a larger problem. Where I live, EV's are common. A lot of businesses are setting up charging stations but there are not enough. Might see a few rows of 10 chargers and all filled, with more EV's parked out in normal spots.

My company has 4 chargers. There's probably 10 EV's in a building with 150 people. They won't install more chargers citing costs.

A few of my coworkers live in Apt where they can't charge, so charging at work is a preferred option, but they can't committ to buying an EV if they wont be able to secure a spot to charge at work.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:26 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I would like to read that plan if you could provide a link to it?

I'm pro EV, but I still have doubts if the grid can handle a massive surge of EV's charging, without some major upgrades to the grid.
Ok it's simple and YOU can look this up. Off peak (overnight) load is roughly 40% of on peak (4-9pm) load. The average EV adds about 10-15% load to the average household, all overnight. If you had everyone charging their cars overnight (which is how EVs tend to be operated) it would add 10-15% to the grid load, which is already about 40% lower than peak. So charging overnight (when 90% of EVs would charge) would bring off peak load to about 60% of peak load. VERY few would EVER charge from 4-9pm (peak commuting hours, so that's when cars would be driving, not charging).

I'm about average in use driving 1000 miles a month in my EV. It's about 180-240kWh per month to do that (65kWh x 3). My house uses 1800 or so kWh per month (which gives me a ~$200 bill). The EV basically is 10% of that use. A/C and water heaters use more.

Since it'll take DECADES for there to be a significant number of EVs on the road, even if we added that 10% load to PEAK hours, the grid would have enough time to compensate. Since most charging will STILL happen overnight, that 10% increase is a big, fat nothingburger. Seriously. Logic and math is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles