Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 08:37 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Where do you live where highway speeds are averaging 50 mph? Oh wait, I see, Maryland.

Where I am the freeway is posted 70 mph and if I drive the speed limit, cars are flying past me like I am standing still. Absolutely no one is driving at anything approaching 50 mph. For fuel, you have to get off the freeway, so if there are chargers, they might not be conveniently located.

You weaken your arguments by believing that your driving conditions are exactly the same as everyone else all over the country is experiencing.

You have a fairly modern car with a trip computer right? Reset it to 0 and then go on a trip that includes 70mph highways (;like I have here in MD). then read the average speed for that trip. Your computer takes into account NOT JUST the sections where you're flying down the highway, but the surface streets it takes to get TO that highway and the surface streets you use when you get OFF that highway and get to your destination. In order to AVERAGE 70mph, even with that 70mph highway, you'd have to be doing 100 on said highway.

Get a clue about averages, please and how that affects total travel time door to effin' door.

JFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 09:11 AM

10,810 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post

JFC.
(new) Jersey Fried Chicken?

Old 06-13-2023, 12:06 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The Most Annoying Hotel Guest Is the EV Charger Hog
More electric vehicles mean more competition for chargers during overnight stays

https://www.wsj.com/articles/electri...hare_permalink

The article begins:

Some hotel guests make the decision to unplug the charger from one vehicle so they can charge their own.

Some hotel guests leave their cars plugged in overnight even if they only need a top-off. "I'm not going to get up at 2AM to move my car," one driver said.
VERY simple solution.....BUY A GAS BURNER.....problem solved.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You must not have much vacation time if 25-30 minutes every 200 miles is a massive percentage of your overall leisure time.

Just say you don't like them. It makes more sense. "Hunting around for a charger" is a ICE'er statement. I won't explain why because that's always proven fruitless.
Pfftt...I drive twice that far without stopping and then take 5 minutes to fill up and get back on the road. It must take you forever to get any where of distance.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’ve learned which type of anti-EV’er is worth talking to and which isn’t. Anyone who thinks driving an EV noticeably affect their vacation time is not the former.
Now as far as local commuting, EV is probably great. Maybe not here in MN, but......

Old 06-13-2023, 12:15 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Pfftt...I drive twice that far without stopping and then take 5 minutes to fill up and get back on the road. It must take you forever to get any where of distance.
That sounds terrible. Did you intend that as a dig? If I wanted such an uncomfortable, rushed ride, I’d take my gas car or fly.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-13-2023, 12:15 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Actually normally $1 each minute past a 10 minute grace period if the charger is seeing high use.
I didn't know that.

Does an app alert you that you are "full"? Or that you've hit a milestone such as, say, an 80% charge?

Old 06-13-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Incorrect - the resource of Tesla chargers are not close to being scarce in most cases currently - the only waits I have seen in the last year are in a few chargers near the strip in LV consisting of less than 5 minute wait
But the topic isn't limited to Tesla chargers, is it?

Old 06-13-2023, 12:18 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I didn't know that.

Does an app alert you that you are "full"? Or that you've hit a milestone such as, say, an 80% charge?
Yes. And the car and app warn you before you even get there that the particular charger may incur idle fees.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-13-2023, 12:35 PM

In the current issue of Car and Driver there is a comparison test of the Chevrolet Bolt EV and the Volkswagen Jetta Sport, purposefully pitting the EV against the ICE automobiles.

In general, the Bolt comes across as a better and more enjoyable vehicle to drive regardless of the powerplant. I do note the following:

Quote:
... This brought us face to face with the limited and frequently nonfunctional charging infrastructure, even along the well-traveled I-75 corridor between Detroit and Dayton. When we arrived at a 62.5-kW ChargePoint connection in Lima, Ohio, another problem presented itself: charger crowding. A Ford Mustang Mach-E occupied the single plug, and its driver had chosen to nap while the car charged. Do we wake him or wait our turn? The etiquette surrounding charging is too new to have obvious rules. When was the last time you questioned how to wait at a gas pump?
But there is a charge time limitation on the Bolt.

Quote:
Once connected, we discovered that the Bolt's biggest drawback is its 55-kW peak DC fast-charge capability.
Unlike more costly EVs that can replenish electrons at rates many times higher, the Bolt's inability to utilize the highest-powered DC connections means more time spent at the plug.
and tongue-in-cheek,

Quote:
When the Jetta's tank runs low, you simply pull into the next service station, spend at most a minute and a half pumping up to 13.2 gallons into the tank, and you're good to go [another 580 miles].

By contrast, the Bolt needs 84 minutes on a DC connection to recharge the battery from 10 to 90 percent. In that amount of time, you could pump 756 gallons, enough fuel to drive the Jetta 33,264 miles, or around the equator 1.3 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles