Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 07:48 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

I prefer to book a neighborhood hotel then a fancy big one, then I know for sure the EV charger is free and not utilized much at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 08:16 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I do a lot of traveling for my job and stay every week in a lot of hotels and I can honestly say, the most annoying hotel guests are most definitely not ones using EV chargers - in fact, I see next to zero evs at hotels. Nah, Id look elsewhere for annoying hotel guests...wont be hard to find them.
Ha Ha, I tend to agree with you. My biggest peeve with Hotels are those guests who talk loud or yell in the hallways, slam the doors, or make as much noise as possible in the room next to yours at whatever hour they please. I've never rated a hotel bad based on parking places, although I have no EV experience. I'm more concerned about the inside of the hotel room than the outside features.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:30 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I wonder how many ICE drivers park in a charging space just to annoy the elitist, arrogant EV drivers?
Take a look at how many cars you will see in handicapped spots that don't have a tag. Those people are not parking there because they want to annoy anyone. They are actually unaware of anyone beyond themselves and they take those spots because they are great parking spots, close to the doors.

If hotels and businesses put the charging spots in the best locations, they will not be left open for the electric cars. It has nothing to do with deliberately annoying people. It has to do with being too lazy and self-absorbed to walk an extra 25 feet.

The same with leaving the electric car parked in the charging spot overnight. It has to do with being too lazy and self-absorbed to make the effort to relocate the car when it is finished charging.

Ditto for restaurants and service stations. If someone plugs in and goes inside to eat, they are not going to come out to move the car until after they have finished eating and shopping and taking their potty break. Their car is going to stay in that charging spot until they are all finished with whatever business they have inside.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:16 AM

277 posts, read 291,098 times
Remember the good old days when BMW drivers were the bad guys.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:22 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Huh. Is that why gas burners like to block the only diesel pump at stations? To get even with the oil burners?
Most people aren't bright enough to know what the green handle means. I've had people honk at me to move forward and then after they pull around me to the next pump they still haven't figured it out. So I show them. See, this is a green handle. Do you have one at that pump? No.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:48 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Kinda speaks to a larger problem. Where I live, EV's are common. A lot of businesses are setting up charging stations but there are not enough. Might see a few rows of 10 chargers and all filled, with more EV's parked out in normal spots.

My company has 4 chargers. There's probably 10 EV's in a building with 150 people. They won't install more chargers citing costs.

A few of my coworkers live in Apt where they can't charge, so charging at work is a preferred option, but they can't committ to buying an EV if they wont be able to secure a spot to charge at work.
My wife started driving an EV to work in 2015 where the office garage had 8 free level 2 charging stations, and 10 not-free charging stations. On any given day there would be 3 cars using the free charging stations, but 8 cars would charge up on Fridays to get ahead of the weekend.

Years later she moved to much more populated building from Downtown Los Angeles to Century City. This garage had 20 not-free charging stations but they were typically all occupied by the time she got to the office around 10:30am. However, all the cars would be done charging by the lunch hour where they'd shuttle all their cars out to avoid idle fees and to allow others to charge. She'd either move her car or have her secretary do it when they returned from lunch and that gave plenty of time to charge her car for 3-4hrs to make it back home. After her solo-HOV decal expired on the Fiat 500e, we bought a used Tesla to get another decal. The Tesla has 4X the range of the Fiat so she can drive to the office, courthouse, meet with a client, and make it back home with no need to charge in between.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:54 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most people aren't bright enough to know what the green handle means. I've had people honk at me to move forward and then after they pull around me to the next pump they still haven't figured it out. So I show them. See, this is a green handle. Do you have one at that pump? No.
We drive our EVs about 95% of the time, but we still have our old MK4 VW Golf TDI and a Chevy Duramax (LBZ) so I know your experience first-hand. It is so annoying to see gasoline-powered drivers use the few pumps with diesel when there are plenty of other gasoline-only pumps open. It's moments those that you miss the truck stops that have rows and rows of diesel pumps...some that have them on both sides so trucks can fill both tanks at the same time. Fortunately for the VW, it gets a smidge over 700 miles before you need to refuel again.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:09 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
I'd never road-trip in an EV. Vacation time is too precious to waste it hunting for chargers or sitting around waiting for a recharge.

PHEV's are a much better solution for anyone who occasionally needs to go more than 50 miles or so.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:15 AM

19,029 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'd never road-trip in an EV. Vacation time is too precious to waste it hunting for chargers or sitting around waiting for a recharge.

PHEV's are a much better solution for anyone who occasionally needs to go more than 50 miles or so.
You must not have much vacation time if 25-30 minutes every 200 miles is a massive percentage of your overall leisure time.

Just say you don't like them. It makes more sense. "Hunting around for a charger" is a ICE'er statement. I won't explain why because that's always proven fruitless.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-12-2023, 11:38 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You must not have much vacation time if 25-30 minutes every 200 miles is a massive percentage of your overall leisure time.

Let's put this in another perspective, with average highway traffic, average speeds are really closer to 50 mph than they are to 70. So 200 miles is 4 hours of driving, or half a day. If 20-30 minutes every half day is too hard for someone's vacation time, I posit they aren't really taking a vacation at all.

If you're going 400 miles away, then you leave a half hour earlier than normal, stop once half a day into the trip and then finish the trip. You get to the end point at the same time as normal and have the same time at the "vacation" spot.

But like you said, explaining how it ACTUALLY works IN PRACTICE is pointless to do with people who have zero experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles