Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 02:23 PM

10,922 posts, read 4,591,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Let's put this in another perspective, with average highway traffic, average speeds are really closer to 50 mph than they are to 70. So 200 miles is 4 hours of driving, or half a day. If 20-30 minutes every half day is too hard for someone's vacation time, I posit they aren't really taking a vacation at all.

If you're going 400 miles away, then you leave a half hour earlier than normal, stop once half a day into the trip and then finish the trip. You get to the end point at the same time as normal and have the same time at the "vacation" spot.

But like you said, explaining how it ACTUALLY works IN PRACTICE is pointless to do with people who have zero experience.

well in all fairness, it depends if this trip is thru montgomery cty MD vs say I 80 r the PA pike...weekly I do the pitt-Charlestown loop and its 3 hrs 30 mins door to door for what the odo sez is exactly 200 miles...and much of this is over back roads at <45mph, I68, I 70 and I81 to Martinsburg are the sweet spot of >1 mile per min. I *count* on 1 hr from keyser ridge (mm14) to I70 (mm 82ish) The whole trip is faster if I take the PA TP, languish in breezewood, and put up with the 40 miles of road constr, but I have to donate an extra $13.30 each way to the state...Sadly, my old man bladder sez I stop at the McDs in Keyser Ridge off I68 for 2-3 mins...but still thats not a factor.

The problem with the averages you state is that they are based on wall clock vs point to point miles...meaning if a person takes off for 8 hours, after food, fuel, peeing etc it seems like they went 50mph and in fact this was the old log book average for OTR truckers in the 70s and 80s, and in fact again, during the reagan years, the FDOT wanted to push down the legal maximum miles in 10 hours from 500 to 450 miles because of the ton miles in the northeast US and LA. IF a driver has the bladder and is running the open /upper midwest or the extreme southern routes, 600-650 miles in a logged day is way doable and now that everyone is electronic logs, aint no cheating. These things actually occur. Most entities that rely on long travels (the traveling salesman being extinct) count on this conversion.

But but but, that is professional drivers!

Ok ya, but when it invades your personal life or properly trained, it becomes the norm. One thing I hate doing on a point to point trip is di**ing around for no reason. When I retire and lap the USA (twice) in an RV, Ill take the time to go see the worlds largest ball of mud... <---obscure movie reference

Friday I leave for St aug, stopping only to overnight in rock hill sc to meet up with the rest of the family invading FL and we will average well over 60mph even with fuel stops (actually, if we get over 26mpg we will go the distance p2p on 1 tank but wytheville VA is hard to pass up for the prices...) - pack snacks, drinks and we know where to refuel because of a hundred cumulative years of OTR in the family. Fill when you are light-on empty, not every quarter tank (unless the zombies are attacking, then change strategy) we dont speed and one of us is pulling my box trailer so 70mph will be top speed. The only dwell time we are planning is Buc-ees but there is one 5 mins away in st aug from the condo so that can wait. 50 kinds of beef jerky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 02:30 PM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times
Quote:
But like you said, explaining how it ACTUALLY works IN PRACTICE is pointless to do with people who have zero experience.
I’ve learned which type of anti-EV’er is worth talking to and which isn’t. Anyone who thinks driving an EV noticeably affect their vacation time is not the former.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-12-2023, 03:10 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,392,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
That's why Tesla chargers are the best, if you over charged they will bill you for each hour of parking.
Actually normally $1 each minute past a 10 minute grace period if the charger is seeing high use.

Old 06-12-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Because government forecasters for whom there is no accountability for poor forecasts never, you know, get it wrong.

Moreover, nationwide having sufficient infrastructure is little solace when you pull in to a location to charge and see a long line of vehicles waiting in front of you for the scarce resource.
Read the report instead of knocking it because of what you think it might show. It was done by a team from industry and the government labs (GITT and ISATT) - not just government forecasters. They did several scenarios, even the most aggressive rate of conversion showed no issues. Most charge at home at night when there is low demand. BTW - it was published by the prior admin but they note that other studies are in progress.

Incorrect - the resource of Tesla chargers are not close to being scarce in most cases currently - the only waits I have seen in the last year are in a few chargers near the strip in LV consisting of less than 5 minute wait

Old 06-12-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'd never road-trip in an EV. Vacation time is too precious to waste it hunting for chargers or sitting around waiting for a recharge.

PHEV's are a much better solution for anyone who occasionally needs to go more than 50 miles or so.
Try using one, might have less impact than you think. You are not "hunting for chargers" they are displayed on a map in your vehicle. Also instead of stopping for gas and then using the restroom or grabbing a bite - you are using the restroom or grabbing a bite during the 20 minutes while you are charging - only a few minutes (maybe 5) extra. The time charging is really not very long - adding very little to a trip over what stops most already make.

PHEVs are essentially just hybrids if going over 50 miles so why bother with a PHEV in that use case.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:55 AM

13,287 posts, read 8,478,589 times
Our Hotel that I work has three charge stations within a mile radius.
We are on a holding pattern to get the EV stations installed at our location due to township regulations .
So our guest have done what I call the indulging without permission.
Our building has outdoor outlets used for our maint. crew when servicing LIGHTING , or Building structure concerns. Yet lo and behold guest pull up near them and you guessed it, plug in their EV's to charge thru out the night. This is a liability for us as our Power source drains and shuts off certain in house departments to cover the usage for hours on end. The outdoor supply outlets are for temporary activity , not 10-12 hours of constant empowerment. The safety liability is having the cord across sidewalks that are used for disabled patrons . They cannot simply go around it or risk being injured. The EV user gets free electricity and often says- you are overpriced anyways with your room rates! Little do they understand the entire dynamics and back end cost for operation/supplies/repairs/utility usage and in house amenities. We are barely breaking even some times.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:49 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,218,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Our Hotel that I work has three charge stations within a mile radius.
We are on a holding pattern to get the EV stations installed at our location due to township regulations .
So our guest have done what I call the indulging without permission.
Our building has outdoor outlets used for our maint. crew when servicing LIGHTING , or Building structure concerns. Yet lo and behold guest pull up near them and you guessed it, plug in their EV's to charge thru out the night. This is a liability for us as our Power source drains and shuts off certain in house departments to cover the usage for hours on end. The outdoor supply outlets are for temporary activity , not 10-12 hours of constant empowerment. The safety liability is having the cord across sidewalks that are used for disabled patrons . They cannot simply go around it or risk being injured. The EV user gets free electricity and often says- you are overpriced anyways with your room rates! Little do they understand the entire dynamics and back end cost for operation/supplies/repairs/utility usage and in house amenities. We are barely breaking even some times.
Pretty easy to lock off the outlets if a guest using 15kwh overnight is going to cause the hotel to go bankrupt. I would have to imagine that 15kwh in a evening is a drop in the bucket for what a hotel consumes? You seem pretty into the hotel's consumption....how many KWHs does the hotel use from say 4pm to 11am? You make it sound like if you have a handful of guests that decide to set their AC to 65F for their whole stay could be problematic for the hotel's financials? If this is the official stance why is the hotel even bothering with wanting to install EV chargers????

I bring tape on road trips to use on the cord if it's going to go across a side walk. Sucks others don't.

If the local government is such a pain to deal with why not install a bank of 20A 120v outlets in the mean time?

"...our Power source drains and shuts off certain in house departments to cover the usage for hours on end."

Could you expand on this? I don't understand?

Last edited by wankel7; 06-13-2023 at 05:27 AM..

Old 06-13-2023, 04:56 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,335,021 times
Yeah if an 8-12 amp draw on a typical 120v outlet is causing his hotel hardships, there is a lot more problems there than the EV charging.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:22 AM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times
The wacky lies people create to rag on electric cars are mind-blowing.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-13-2023, 08:26 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Quote:
Let's put this in another perspective, with average highway traffic, average speeds are really closer to 50 mph than they are to 70. So 200 miles is 4 hours of driving, ......
Where do you live where highway speeds are averaging 50 mph? Oh wait, I see, Maryland.

Where I am the freeway is posted 70 mph and if I drive the speed limit, cars are flying past me like I am standing still. Absolutely no one is driving at anything approaching 50 mph. For fuel, you have to get off the freeway, so if there are chargers, they might not be conveniently located.

You weaken your arguments by believing that your driving conditions are exactly the same as everyone else all over the country is experiencing.

Quote:
....you are using the restroom or grabbing a bite during the 20 minutes while you are charging.....
Unless the guy that got there before you and put his car on the charger, is inside taking more than 20 minutes to finish his meal and you can't even plug your car in until he finishes what he is doing and decides it is time to leave. Perhaps if it is a heavily traveled road, there is another electric car ahead of you, waiting for the slot, so you have to wait for him, too. As more electric cars appear on the road, it is going to put a lot of pressure on the available chargers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles