Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 04:57 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,995,482 times

Advertisements

I’m going to a Cybertruck meet & greet on Saturday morning. There’s a very good chance I’ll put a deposit down afterwards.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 05:41 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
If I had my druthers, I'd like one of those Rivians that is being used to deliver the "last mile" goods from a major transport company.

Dunno what I'd do with it.

Camper? With a few solar panels on the roof...

Dog Show transport?

Trackday mobile?

Surf mobile?

There are some possibilities, here.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 05-01-2024 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Fixed it.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:18 PM

37,226 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
If I had my druthers, I'd like one of those Rivians that is being used to deliver the "last mile" goods from a major transport company.

Dunno what I'd do with it.

Camper? With a few solar panels on the roof...

Dog Show transport?

Trackday mobile?

Surf mobile?

There are some possibilities, here.
Camper van would be neat especially with some fold out solar awnings.

Maybe an ice cream truck, but fancy

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-01-2024 at 08:40 PM..

Old 05-01-2024, 11:11 PM

3,473 posts, read 3,392,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you'd have to be in a bubble to not realize the Cybertruck has some fairly polarizing reactions. I don't think that opinion really ruffles any feathers at all since that's been the case since the debut.

The Rivian R1T's appearance is also polarizing though not quite so much relative to the Cybertruck. To me, it just looks kinda friendly.

The upcoming Chevrolet Silverado EV is also maybe a bit of a departure, but even less so.

Of the major EV trucks out in the US, the Ford Lightning is definitely the most traditional in terms of adhering very closely to its ICE counterpart.
Yeah, I'd agree the F-150 Lightning looks the least weird of all the EV trucks and pickups. I don't like the front LED light on the front of the Lightning, but the Rivian R1T has that same problem.

The Cybertruck is another level of ugly, though. Good I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I will look up the design of the Silverado EV, later.

Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM

1,496 posts, read 801,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Range.
Remember, EVs only store 2-3 gallons of gas worth of energy in their very expensive and heavy batteries (more like 4-5 on these pickups).
That is misleading. Why then can a Tesla Model 3 go 270 to 340 miles on a charge? I haven't seen a ICE that can do that on 2 to 3 gallons of gas!

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

19,064 posts, read 13,995,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
That is misleading. Why then can a Tesla Model 3 go 270 to 340 miles on a charge? I haven't seen a ICE that can do that on 2 to 3 gallons of gas!
Efficiency of electric motors.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I saw my second Cybertruck today. It is really growing on me. I may drop a reservation soon.
My buddy has been in line for over a year and there are 2.6mm builds ahead of his reservation.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I think they're both ugly. Why are most of these electric vehicles just not attractive? It makes no sense to me.
I'm used to the Tesla car/suv designs, not ground breaking but normal.

The truck is simply goofy.

Porsche Taycan, BMW I4/I5 look ok, F150 looks fine, even the Hummer EV looks fine. Not in the market but if I was it would have to resemble a good looking car for me to buy one.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

37,226 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Yea, it's sort of a dumb talking point that's also technically not true. EVs are just much more efficient overall than internal combustion engines, can recoup some of the energy expenditure whenever it's braking, and doesn't need the engine running in order to run subsystems like climate control, so talking about energy equivalent of a battery pack to gas is not going to be useful.

It's also funny because it's trying to argue something on a technicality when it itself is technically inaccurate. That gallon of fuel doesn't contain that energy alone, but actually needs the ambient oxygen around there, so technically the energy density isn't actually all that impressive since much of the molecular weight in combustion is from the oxygen that's in the ambient air.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

1,496 posts, read 801,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Efficiency of electric motors.
My point exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles