Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,201,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
So you are saying that you own an EV?
That's usually fair assumption when one tells you I have X car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
Let's unpack this. 2-3 gallons of gas in a Civic will go 60-90 miles, not 300. If you're saying that a 78kWh battery delivers the energy of 2-3 gallons of gas, then you are saying that that 78kWh battery only goes 60-90 miles in your EV in order for it to be equivalent. And we ALL know that math don't math.

My EV goes 300 miles on 65kWh of battery. A Civic uses 10 gallons of gas to go that far. Seems like that's more than 2-3 gallons. By a factor of 3 to 5 times.
Common sense isn't common. If a a particularly inefficient Civic got 89 MPG, it would indeed go 200-300 miles on 2-3 gallons! But a Civic doesn't get 89 MPG. Too bad. My particularly inefficient EV on the other hand does get a rated 89 MPGe, actually a bit better but still quite poor in real world. Since it gets 89 MPGe, it does go 200-300 miles on 2-3 gallons of gas worth energy. Simple maths. Like common sense though, not always common.

Efficiency is really what makes EVs make any sense at all. They'd be extremely impractical and all around terrible if they weren't very efficient. Think about it. I have a very inefficient EV that's basically in the same class of car as an upscale Civic, maybe an Acura Integra. That gets 32 MPG versus 89 MPGe in a very inefficient EV. If it was as inefficient as an Acura Integra, it would need a 200 kWh battery to eek out the 250 miles of range. There's nowhere to fit a 200 kWh battery in a compact sedan/hatch. Efficiency is the reason EVs make sense.

Last edited by Malloric; Yesterday at 02:25 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

5,878 posts, read 4,192,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Common sense isn't common. If a a particularly inefficient Civic got 89 MPG, it would indeed go 200-300 miles on 2-3 gallons! But a Civic doesn't get 89 MPG. Too bad. My particularly inefficient EV on the other hand does get a rated 89 MPGe, actually a bit better but still quite poor in real world. Since it gets 89 MPGe, it does go 200-300 miles on 2-3 gallons of gas worth energy. Simple maths. Like common sense though, not always common.
Calling this common sense probably isn't accurate. That ICE engines are less efficient than electric motors is an empirical fact about automotive efficiency, and it might be widely known, but that's not the same thing as common sense.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

19,067 posts, read 13,995,482 times
Quote:
I’m normally tolerant of your posts because you aren’t obviously trolling but this is becoming a borderline offense, whether you like what I’m saying here or not. Explain this post un-emotionally (in a PM if you prefer) or I’m treating it as an intentional troll.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Calling this common sense probably isn't accurate. That ICE engines are less efficient than electric motors is an empirical fact about automotive efficiency, and it might be widely known, but that's not the same thing as common sense.
Dunno, that's why I used MPGe. As much as it's not the best measurement for EVs, everyone who drives cars has an understanding of MPGs. I think it's common knowledge that gas cars don't get 90 MPG and yet luxo barges like the i7 and EQS 580 Sedan are right in that 90 MPGe figure. Even really has no idea about how EVs work and that they're more efficient, MPGe should convey it pretty well.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m normally tolerant of your posts because you aren’t obviously trolling but this is becoming a borderline offense, whether you like what I’m saying here or not. Explain this post un-emotionally (in a PM if you prefer) or I’m treating it as an intentional troll.
Well, go back to all the misinformation in Cvetter's post. Sorry, it annoys me and I get cranky about it.

The 78 kWh battery (which is 2.3 gallons of gas worth of energy, as a gallon of gas has 33.7 kWh of energy in it) in fact goes 250 miles since it doesn't get ~30 MPGe like a Civic. Why? Efficiency. Even inefficient EVs and big luxury barge EVs can go 200-300 miles on 2-3 gallons of gas worth of energy. That's the point of EVs. They're more efficient, which is why they can go 200-300 miles on 2-3 gallons of gas worth of energy and why they have generally 90-120 MPGe efficiency figures.

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Dunno, that's why I used MPGe. As much as it's not the best measurement for EVs, everyone who drives cars has an understanding of MPGs. I think it's common knowledge that gas cars don't get 90 MPG and yet luxo barges like the i7 and EQS 580 Sedan are right in that 90 MPGe figure. Even really has no idea about how EVs work and that they're more efficient, MPGe should convey it pretty well.
You have an EV that gets 90MPGe. So this point is obvious to you. But not everyone has such a car or has even heard of MPGe. So, no, this is not common sense. What you are pointing to is specific empirical knowledge. That's not what common sense is.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well, go back to all the misinformation in Cvetter's post. Sorry, it annoys me and I get cranky about it.
It annoys you when someone else is wrong about something?

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It annoys you when someone else is wrong about something?
Yes.

Particularly when insistently so.

Dunno, pretty sure most people in the US understand MPG and MPGe. In Europe, probably not. I don't really think in L/100 KM like they do in Europe. I mean, I can still get the basics that if one car uses 10L to go 100 KM and another car uses 30L to go 100 KM, the car that uses 30L used a lot more fuel. I just don't immediately know 10L/100KM is a lot of fuel or not. That could be really good fuel economy. It could be kind of lousy. They do the exact same thing in Europe though. There's a "related fuel equivalent" for EVs same as we do MPGe. It's done for people that are used to gas cars. It's a common sense number so they can easily see how efficient an EV is in terms of the numbers they're used to seeing. And then get confused by them anyway.

Last edited by Malloric; Yesterday at 03:12 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Particularly when insistently so.
You should do some self-reflection, then. I'm sure there's a mountain of things you're wrong about. This is an arrogant attitude that you should be ashamed of.

Quote:
Dunno, pretty sure most people in the US understand MPG and MPGe.
Many people don't. But that's beside the point anyway.....common knowledge and common sense aren't the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles