Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

413 posts, read 116,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Why do all these new electric truck designs look like the F22? Is there some purpose?
All of them? the CyberTruck is vastly different looking than the other pickups, all of which look like normal pickups without grilles. Why would they need a grille in an EV?

I actually really like the Rivian, as its "face" is a good way to break up the relatively flat nose. The headlights are really nice up close, with some interesting detailing (see attached picture). But the only one that looks like a fighter jet is the CyberTruck, and only in a roundabout manner. The original sketched for it look much better than what Elon finally delivered...

Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Cyber truck vs Rivian R1T-rivheadlight.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

21,886 posts, read 25,201,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
That is misleading. Why then can a Tesla Model 3 go 270 to 340 miles on a charge? I haven't seen a ICE that can do that on 2 to 3 gallons of gas!
It's just common sense.

I have an impressively inefficient EV. It's a compact sedan/hatch thing that turns in efficiency numbers of the ultra-lux barges like the BMW i7 and EQS 580 Sedan. Think of it like a Honda Civic that gets the same gas mileage as a 7-series/S-class sedan. It's pretty terrible. It still gets 89 MPGe. 250/89, 2.8 gallon equivalents. That's how a big luxo barge (or a terribly inefficient Civic) goes 200-300 miles on 2-3 gallon equivalents of gas!

And that's MPGe which includes the pumping losses to recharge the battery. If you're just talking about stored energy, it's a 78 kWh (usable) battery or 2.3 gallon equivalents. Apparently it's about as efficient at charging as it is driving since it uses half a gallon of energy to put 2.3 gallons of energy in the battery.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

19,066 posts, read 13,995,482 times
Quote:
My point exactly!
I'm an idiot on this one. I totally missed the sarcasm.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 1,367 times
Lol, here's a joke about Tesla:

When I visited my friends in Russia about 5 years ago, they discussed Tesla, and said that if you take a Tesla, then only on manual diesel

(By the way, it's worth saying that in Russia and these eastern countries, manual cars and diesel cars are highly appreciated, so the older generation doesn't even know that Tesla is an electric car)

As for me I would certainly choose Tesla cyber truck. It looks so futuristic.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

1,496 posts, read 801,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's just common sense.

I have an impressively inefficient EV. It's a compact sedan/hatch thing that turns in efficiency numbers of the ultra-lux barges like the BMW i7 and EQS 580 Sedan. Think of it like a Honda Civic that gets the same gas mileage as a 7-series/S-class sedan. It's pretty terrible. It still gets 89 MPGe. 250/89, 2.8 gallon equivalents. That's how a big luxo barge (or a terribly inefficient Civic) goes 200-300 miles on 2-3 gallon equivalents of gas!

And that's MPGe which includes the pumping losses to recharge the battery. If you're just talking about stored energy, it's a 78 kWh (usable) battery or 2.3 gallon equivalents. Apparently it's about as efficient at charging as it is driving since it uses half a gallon of energy to put 2.3 gallons of energy in the battery.
So you are saying that you own an EV?

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's just common sense.

Let's unpack this. 2-3 gallons of gas in a Civic will go 60-90 miles, not 300. If you're saying that a 78kWh battery delivers the energy of 2-3 gallons of gas, then you are saying that that 78kWh battery only goes 60-90 miles in your EV in order for it to be equivalent. And we ALL know that math don't math.

My EV goes 300 miles on 65kWh of battery. A Civic uses 10 gallons of gas to go that far. Seems like that's more than 2-3 gallons. By a factor of 3 to 5 times.

Last edited by H8PJs; Yesterday at 12:45 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

37,230 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
So you are saying that you own an EV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
Let's unpack this. 2-3 gallons of gas in a Civic will go 60-90 miles, not 300. If you're saying that a 78kWh battery delivers the energy of 2-3 gallons of gas, then you are saying that that 78kWh battery only goes 60-90 miles in your EV in order for it to be equivalent. And we ALL now that math don't math.

My EV goes 300 miles on 65kWh of battery. A Civic uses 10 gallons of gas to go that far. Seems like that's more than 2-3 gallons. By a factor of 3 to 5 times.
I don't think it makes any sense to engage with that poster. Just ignore them, you will not miss out on anything useful or interesting.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think it makes any sense to engage with that poster. Just ignore them, you will not miss out on anything useful or interesting.
it's not really about engaging them, it's about making sure that visitors to the thread don't get the wrong ideas in their heads.

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

37,230 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
it's not really about engaging them, it's about making sure that visitors to the thread don't get the wrong ideas in their heads.
Fair enough.

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

5,868 posts, read 4,192,409 times
I just wish they'd make an EV truck for people who actually use trucks as trucks. Why do EVs need to be high-tech and fancy on the interior? I honestly don't understand the connection between screens and techno gadgets inside and an EV drivetrain.

I'd love a truck that I could get 250 EV miles out of yet felt like my 2014 F-150 XLT on the inside. This is a trend across all vehicles it seems, though. I've had two Lexus LX models, both a 470 and 570. I much preferred the 470 because I felt like I couldn't get the 570 dirty. That's how the EV trucks feel now, which just seems wrong for a truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles