Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 05:22 PM

843 posts, read 595,732 times

Advertisements

Bob Newhart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 09:12 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,315,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Almost all of them. Stand up obviously isn’t my thing. It would be way easier to list the ones I do find funny. I can count them on one hand.
Would you mind stating the ones you like? Just curious.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
There's been a few well known comedians in the past few years that have gotten excessively political, and - cringing at usage of a loathed buzzword - divisive as well. So disappointing. I had to cull them from my list of favorites.

I enjoy comedy that is clever enough to make you laugh AND think at the same time, but blatant politics or haranguing monologues turn me off pretty quickly.
That's my biggest complaint lately. Some will lightly touch on it and will equally address "both" sides, and that's fine. Fair. But a lot of standup "comedy" has turned into political rants. Ugh. Insufferable.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think the television show, which is great, maybe the best sitcom ever, is better than his standup act.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Isn't that the truth? Colbert is just a hack for the Dem. party and is not funny at all. Same goes with the rest of the above.

We enjoy watching old Johnny Carson reruns on Antenna TV every night. He set the bar for late night comedy and still is way above these current day comedians. But after Leno, it went downhill.
For me, it's not so much the political angle, it's the smug, sanctimonious tone to it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I appreciate the ones that can work both clean and dirty. RonWhite comes to mind. Ralphie May was a genius, in my opinion, for his ability to go both ways.
Again, I don't care about language when it's truly funny. I love both "dirty" and "clean" comedians.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:56 AM

18,151 posts, read 25,362,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That's my biggest complaint lately. Some will lightly touch on it and will equally address "both" sides, and that's fine. Fair. But a lot of standup "comedy" has turned into political rants. Ugh. Insufferable.
Who the hell expects comedians to be "unbiased"?
They are comedians, not a news channel

Old 10-16-2023, 07:16 AM

12,892 posts, read 9,142,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Add to that list: Carol Burnett.
Can I add 110% agreement here. I was just thinking about her as one I can't stand when I saw your post. Absolutely despised her show. She wasn't funny; the jokes weren't funny; the skits weren't funny. Some of the channels still advertise reruns of the show and I even hate the commercials for the reruns it was so bad.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:28 AM

12,892 posts, read 9,142,097 times
Quote:
Would you mind stating the ones you like? Just curious.
For me, I can't really think of any that I do like just because of them. Most of them have individual bits that are funny, but not when taken as a total show. Jerry Clower, who has long since passed, is probably the only one that I always found funny. Mainly because his jokes were basically my life growing up.

Quote:
I completely agree.

For me, it's not so much the political angle, it's the smug, sanctimonious tone to it all.

Again, I don't care about language when it's truly funny. I love both "dirty" and "clean" comedians.
I agree about the smug tone. When it comes to "dirty" and "clean" comedy, it's not the language itself that's offensive, but that most are simply substituting blue language for actual comedy. The jokes appeal at about the level of young school kids who think potty jokes are hilarious but I grew up years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I expect them to be unbiased because they are comedians, not political pundits. All sides are fair game if it's funny. I want to hear comedy, not get lectured at by a hack.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:04 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,094,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Kinda the same thing now, no? The Onion/Babylon Bee have more truth in their articles than any news sites I have the misfortune of glancing at.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:23 AM

3,225 posts, read 2,456,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I dunno.. The Richard Pryor / Chevy Chase "Word Association" skit holds up pretty good.

I think you're alluding to this, but, just in case.. Jeanne Robertson passed a year or two ago. 2 years. August of 2021.

But, you're correct.. She was a funny lady.
Awe, I didn't know that. She was pretty funny. I just read her husband died June of the same year (2021) and she died in August.

Old 10-16-2023, 11:57 AM

617 posts, read 344,582 times
Leno was last late night show host that was funny. Sorry, I don't even care to list the current group of unfunny late night hacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts