Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 02:11 AM

6,425 posts, read 5,067,055 times

Advertisements

Anthony Jeselnik. Just tired "anti-PC" humor.

And add me to the Jerry Seinfeld pile. Knowing he dated a 17-year-old when he was 38 is just the icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 02:30 AM

19,031 posts, read 14,263,629 times
There is so much to dislike in modern "entertainment" - filth, vulgarity, lens flare, shaky cam, jump cuts, bad audio recording. SIGH.
It was so disappointing when Robin Williams slid down that slippery slope, and stopped being funny.

I am compelled to dwell in the retroland of the dim past, watching old Banacek and Laugh-In.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:08 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,358,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
He's one of my favorites. No cursing, no blatant political jabs. His expressions alone are hilarious!

There was a time when I thought "clean" comedians were boring/wimpy. I'm the opposite now and appreciate comedy without the vulgarity. I watch a lot of random stand up comedy videos on Youtube, and the moment the F-bombs start dropping, I'm out.

Dry Bar based out of Provo, Utah, has a "clean" policy and most of the comedians that play there are really good.

I appreciate the ones that can work both clean and dirty. RonWhite comes to mind. Ralphie May was a genius, in my opinion, for his ability to go both ways.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:29 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,858,515 times
Add me to the Jerry Seinfeld list. If I have to suffer through watching him because someone else wants to, I sit there and rarely so much as smile. I couldn't even watch his show because it was so boring to me. The stupid look on his face is bad enough.

Gilbert Godfried is at the top of my list as well. Just the sound of his voice will make me immediately change channels on the TV.

I understand why some people don't like cursing in the skits. However, a properly place F-bomb is like an exclamation point on some jokes or skits and can be quite funny at times. I really don't mind the curse words at all when they are used in the proper context. It is not uncommon for the average guy to curse like a sailor when women aren't around so most of us are kind of used to hearing it regularly. I am meetings with higher ups quite often and it can be like a locker room at times.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:38 AM

18,151 posts, read 25,362,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I do not know if they are considered comedians, but I do not think the night talk show hosts are funny. Jimmy Fallon, Kimmel, Letterman, Colbert. Only one I like is Leno.
I have to ask this question ... besides Leno, who do you think is funny
Because Leno is not funny at all

Old 10-13-2023, 09:05 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Dane Cook
Andrew Dice Clay
Amy Schumer
Bo Burnham
Bob Saget
Kathy Griffin
Carlos Mencia
Lisa Lampanelli
Bret Kreischer

Then there are others who just sort of fell off a cliff. Guys like Kevin Hart and Russell Peters, who I thought were great when they first started out, but as soon as they got successful, they just got crude and gross --- and no longer funny.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:17 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,762,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
Same here. I personally love Brian Regan - zero obscenities or offensive stuff.
Brian Regan is awesome! So is Jim Gaffigan. My two favorite comics. And another in this same vein is Nate Bargatze...he's hilarious too.

None of them do "blue" material.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:26 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,762,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Most of the people listed so far are ranked high among the best comedians of all time.

I think that may say more about critiquing comedy than it does about the comedians themselves.

If you think these people aren't funny.... I can't think of one thing I could do to help that!
Familiarity breeds contempt.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:36 AM

6,858 posts, read 4,312,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think the television show, which is great, maybe the best sitcom ever, is better than his standup act.

That's because the show had great writers like Larry David and Larry Charles that added a lot more to it. Seinfeld's standup bits are arguably the worst part of every episode. His observations just aren't typically all that clever or witty, and the observations form the backbone of his act.

The funny thing is that he thinks he's the world's greatest comedian because the show was as big a success as it was, when really he got lucky to meet the right people that made it work.

Even the casting was fortuitous as that show would not have become what it was without the other three actors doing the fantastic work they did to overcome the fact that Jerry fundamentally cannot act at all.

If you observe the show carefully, you notice how it was basically written around Jerry's acting deficits. Jerry has the least involved personal plot lines and the least amount of change in his life..in big part because it'd be impossible for Jerry to actually credibly act in such scenes unlike say Jason Alexander who is a brilliant actor.

Old 10-13-2023, 09:46 AM

102,270 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Roseanne Barr
Phyllis Diller
Joan Rivers
Russell Brand
Larry the Cable Guy

Not funny at all.
Add to that list: Carol Burnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts