Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 10:29 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,493,041 times

Advertisements

Will Ferrell
Adam Sandler
I just don't get the appeal. Neither are funny at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 10:34 AM

45,574 posts, read 60,866,670 times
A lot of comedy is generational.

Saturday Night Live from 1977 makes no sense to its target audience today the same way that today's makes no sense to many of us.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:47 AM

8,523 posts, read 6,948,226 times
Foster Brooks. The funny alcoholic routine was offensive and a swipe at people with serious drinking problems. Conversely Moms Mabley was a hoot even though some people would consider it off putting and a racial stereotype.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:58 AM

3,225 posts, read 2,456,024 times
If you are a woman of a certain age you might like Jeanne Robertson. She gets hired out, or used to, to a lot of company functions. She is a clean comic who mostly talks about her left brained husband and being older. Probably not for a younger crowd but when you are up there in age with her she is hilarious.

I enjoyed the comedy of the Original SNL cast. Funny and stupid at the same time. Did political stuff but never really taking sides. Both sides were hit equally but never viciously.

Colbert used to be funny until he got TDS and now all he is is a hack for anything the Dems do. A real comic doesn't take sides and does comedy equally. I will say Bill Maher at least sees the bad in his side even if I don't care for his comedy.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:30 AM

993 posts, read 1,025,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post

Colbert used to be funny until he got TDS and now all he is is a hack for anything the Dems do. A real comic doesn't take sides and does comedy equally.
Colbert became famous portraying a mock conservative and basically making fun of Fox News anchors. I don't necessarily find him that funny, but I don't think he turned into a partisan comedian later on - he always was one.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:35 AM

993 posts, read 1,025,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
And add me to the Jerry Seinfeld pile. Knowing he dated a 17-year-old when he was 38 is just the icing on the cake.
100% agree and by many, many accounts Seinfeld is a jerk in real life. I loved Seinfeld (which was carried by George and Elaine in my view), but if you watch Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee you can see how smug, arrogant and off putting Seinfeld's real personality is.

In one episode Fred Armisen (who by all accounts is a great guy) commented that he never assumes that just because people recognize him that they like him. Seinfeld disagreed; said that everyone loves people who are on tv; and went on a rant about how celebrities owe nothing to fans and in fact THEY owe HIM something because they watched Seinfeld for free on NBC. Jerry Seinfeld sucks.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:12 PM

17,690 posts, read 15,397,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Will Ferrell
Adam Sandler
I just don't get the appeal. Neither are funny at all.

They were.. For a while.

After enough lather, rinse and repeat.. Which in this case is using that damned sing-song little boy voice that Sandler does.. And running around in your underwear, which is a Ferrell staple..

It got old pretty quickly. Same with Rob Schneider and "You can DO it!"

That being said.. If you haven't seen Adam Sandler's song about Chris Farley..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp2qkhHU0Mw

Damn, that's good. And sad. And funny. And sad. And funny.

That song bought him a pass from me for all his past transgressions. Except for Jack and Jill.

Last night.. Thinking about this topic.. I tried to watch some John Pinette.. Someone who always made me laugh.. But.. Everything I saw from him was about the same 6 bits over and over. "You go NOW! You been here FOUR HOUR! You scare my wife!".. And the Dairy Queen bit. Free Willy. Funny stuff.. But.. He had like a 30 year career and it's the same 5-6 bits..

Old 10-13-2023, 02:22 PM

8,136 posts, read 7,512,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Not a fan of slapstick humor and antics. Jim Carrey is a modern example (Ace Ventura)
Three Stooges, Abbot & Costello, etc.

Any kind of crass bathroom humor, and I'm done. Plenty of other much better choices out there.
Abbott & Costello did more than slapstick. They had a lot of great wordplay in their routines. Who's on First? being the classic example.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:40 PM

8,136 posts, read 7,512,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Saturday Night Live from 1977 makes no sense to its target audience today the same way that today's makes no sense to many of us.
I'll second that. We bought the DVD's of the first 4 or 5 seasons of SNL and watched them. The music holds up (Patti Smith, Elvis Costello, Devo, etc) but a lot of the comedy really doesn't. Some of the darker stuff from Michael O'Donohue and Buck Henry is still edgy, but a lot of the drug humor, not so much.

The thing about SNL in the 70's was that it was new. And then it was copied and copied, and it became old.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:48 PM

17,690 posts, read 15,397,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I dunno.. The Richard Pryor / Chevy Chase "Word Association" skit holds up pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
If you are a woman of a certain age you might like Jeanne Robertson. She gets hired out, or used to, to a lot of company functions. She is a clean comic who mostly talks about her left brained husband and being older. Probably not for a younger crowd but when you are up there in age with her she is hilarious.

I enjoyed the comedy of the Original SNL cast. Funny and stupid at the same time. Did political stuff but never really taking sides. Both sides were hit equally but never viciously.

Colbert used to be funny until he got TDS and now all he is is a hack for anything the Dems do. A real comic doesn't take sides and does comedy equally. I will say Bill Maher at least sees the bad in his side even if I don't care for his comedy.
I think you're alluding to this, but, just in case.. Jeanne Robertson passed a year or two ago. 2 years. August of 2021.

But, you're correct.. She was a funny lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts