Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 12:15 AM

33,325 posts, read 12,634,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Roseanne Barr
Phyllis Diller
Joan Rivers
Russell Brand
Larry the Cable Guy

Not funny at all.
I disagree re Phyllis Diller.

When I was a kid, friends of ours lived across the street from her.

When we'd visit, they'd send me out to the mailbox to get the mail.

Several times, she was getting her mail at the same time, and she engaged me in conversation. I thought she was funny and a nice person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 01:04 AM

1,964 posts, read 710,137 times
Bill Burr

The ones who cover their lack of material with foul mouths, political garbage, tacky locker room "humor" and insulting
everyone else but themselves.

Old 10-17-2023, 03:38 AM

18 posts, read 8,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Not a fan of slapstick humor and antics. Jim Carrey is a modern example (Ace Ventura)
Three Stooges, Abbot & Costello, etc.

Any kind of crass bathroom humor, and I'm done. Plenty of other much better choices out there.
I'm with you. I don't think Jim Carrey is funny either.

Old 10-17-2023, 03:46 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,598,475 times
A lot of the newer comedians aren't funny. I grew up with Don Rickles, George Carlin, Cheech and Chong, Flip Wilson, George Burns, etc. This is kind of like what I say about late night TV. After growing up watching Johnny Carson, Jimmy Fallon and the others just don't cut it. Same with the comedians. After growing up with the ones I mentioned, a lot of them today aren't worth watching.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:23 AM

1,096 posts, read 588,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
A friend of mine actually got mad at me back in the 90s when I said that I couldn't watch the Cosby show because I found Bill Cosby to be off-putting. She yelled, "What? He's America's DAD!" I said that I found him to be creepy and unwatchable for many reasons and it really and truly offended her. I still think about this on occasion. I can't imagine getting angry over someone not liking a celebrity I liked. It's weird, right?
I watched that show growing up and my father would make fun of Cosby all the time. I would think to myself he must be the only person in the world who doesn't like the guy. I've wondered on occasion what my father would have thought of Cosby's fall from grace.

(Then again, my father never seemed to like anything I enjoyed in those days -- especially music.)

Old 10-17-2023, 09:33 AM

12,101 posts, read 8,494,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
A lot of the newer comedians aren't funny. I grew up with Don Rickles, George Carlin, Cheech and Chong, Flip Wilson, George Burns, etc. This is kind of like what I say about late night TV. After growing up watching Johnny Carson, Jimmy Fallon and the others just don't cut it. Same with the comedians. After growing up with the ones I mentioned, a lot of them today aren't worth watching.

I forgot Cheech and Chong. There was a time when their humor had us in stiches. Hope it's still okay to chuckle at their funny portrayal of stereotypes. I think they did it in a way that makes them loveable doofus dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpvsLHjQD8k

Old 10-17-2023, 10:36 AM

1,964 posts, read 710,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Bob Saget
I thought he was a funny host for AFHV. But when I heard about his "dirty comedy act" pandering to college kids, I thought "what is this guy thinking?" And he started trashing Full House - the show that really made him famous. Some gratitude.

Old 10-17-2023, 11:57 AM

22,025 posts, read 9,603,936 times
I never used to like Don Rickles until in the last few years, I saw in him old episodes of Johnny Carson.

Never liked Tim Allen or Joan Rivers.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:10 PM

15,835 posts, read 20,626,008 times
I find Most of them not funny at all. It's hard to find a comedy show where I actually laugh at a joke. Best you might get is a small smile. I've seen Seinfeld in person. Meh.

Improv comedy is probably the one exception. Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, Wayne Brady, Brad Sherwood, etc. I find some of their bits hilarious and have seen them in person multiple times.

Old 10-17-2023, 12:31 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,606,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I do not know if they are considered comedians, but I do not think the night talk show hosts are funny. Jimmy Fallon, Kimmel, Letterman, Colbert. Only one I like is Leno.

Most female comedians are bad like amy schumer who was already mentioned...talking about their women parts is not funny imho.

I guess Nick Cannon is considered a comedian, among other things, he is really bad too.
Leno has no talent. He never was funny. Johnny Carson, who was funny and was the one who most late-night hosts admired, did not want Leno to take his place. He wanted David Letterman.

So, you don't like all women comics. Wow. That is a very broad statement. As a woman, it leads me to ask this, do you like women? Have you ever, or do you, have a female companion or wife? Do you look for woman with no sense of humor? Do funny women threaten you? I mean, smart, witty, wry women? Many men find that sexy. But, I am guessing that you do not.

I don't dislike or like, comedians because of their gender, race, the part of the country they are from, their gender - or anything but one thing. DO THEY MAKE ME LAUGH?

What was funny about Leno? I am waiting.

I have a really diverse group of people I find funny. In the 80s I hated Andrew Dice Clay, but I thought that Sam Kinnison was hysterically funny. Did I want to date him? Be his fried? Did I share his beliefs or his background? Hell no. But his refreshing wild manic energy, and very unique schtick were unique and shocking.

Jeff Foxworthy's observational humor was very funny. He's another guy who made me laugh in the 1970s. He noticed things about people and places are so true, you had to laugh. - Unless you don't like comedians who are southern or Republican - he was a funny, and smart person.

I don't find Colbert to be funny. I may agree with him about certain things, but humor is not one of them.

Jimmy Kimmel is quick and snarky. He's funny. Very funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts