Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 PM

647 posts, read 796,903 times

Advertisements

Some funny videos of the "slavic fighting culture":

Лёня - YouTube

Супер махач! - YouTube

Крутой махач - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Does this vary by state?... b/c in New York, Drivers Ed is mandatory. Usually it is offered on the weekends or after school by the school district, but to say it's "ridiculously easy" is it a bit of an understatement. While think some people I know who drive shouldn't be allowed on the road, it's not all THAT easy to get a license here. Many people do not pass the first time.
I was talking about the practical part, the actual driving. I made that pretty clear in my post.

The driving test is on an elementary level. And it is pretty easy. You're allowed a few mistakes. Compare that to countries that require more advanced skills, and more advanced testing, after the preliminary test. What US drivers get is what in some other countries is considered the basic, preliminary test.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 PM

50 posts, read 73,721 times
Funny topic. I am Russian too. I can't speak about whole country, but i can give you my opinion about Moscow, because i lived there all my life.

About russian traffic police - yes, it is true. What else do you expect from country with so huge level of corruption? And, by the way, the problem not only in that, but in people. In Moscow people who have expensive cars believe that it gives them right to violate the traffic rules. This is savage' behavior. Of course, not all people acting like that, but many of them unfortunately. And, such type of violators are the constant income for russian traffic police. The excellent prove of the all that shame are the funny videos on youtube called "stop cad" or "Стоп хам" in Russian, where one group of people (they are not police!) glue stickers on the windshield of wrong parked cars and after that the owner of the car starts to fight with them. That videos clearly reflect the truth about Russian drivers.

About fighting - Russia is a wild country. But don't be naive - that doesn't mean that Russians are "stronger" or "braver" than others, like many stupid Russians are trying to believe and brag about it. It would be enough to see an average person in Miami, for example, where it is popular to go to the gym or any other kind of exercise and where smoking (cigarettes) is not popular. And after that take a look at Moscow, where the vast majority of people is smoking, many of them drinking and using drugs. Again, not all of them, but many of them. The difference between Moscow and Miami for me was very noticeable and disappointing. Despite stereotypes about "fat Americans" the truth is that an average American (well, ok, Miami inhabitant, at least, may be in other places situation is different, i don't know) is much more healthy and much more polite than an average person in Moscow.

Add here the stupid and absolutely retarded hidden propoganda of alcohol in Russian TV, movies and music where they are trying to make Russians believe, that drinking it is "russian style" and all that retarded jokes like "if you don't like to drink you are not Russian". It is like vicious circle.

In soviet times the situation was better, but after 1990's the communists were replaced by criminals, who called themselves "democrats". And total decline of culture happen after that. Now situation is better than in 1990s, but it is still not possible to call Russia "European" country. Russia is not North Korea or Iraq, of course, but also it is not the best place to live.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:59 AM

14 posts, read 143,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Yea the Russian traffic police. It is not uncommon that they just stop some cars and ask for money (seen it many times on several documentaries and on TV). Since there are thousands of thousands of videos on youtube showing dashcam camera recordings of car crashes, it just makes me believe that a lot of people just don't have a slightest idea of traffic rules. Either they bought their license or they don't have one in the first place. How would you describe the Russian traffic?
Do not ask the police money. But there are some. Many people are given money to the policeman not stick to them. It is corruption. The government now it is fighting now.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good topic. Tell us, please, what is the process for getting a driver's license in Russia? In the US, it's ridiculously easy. Really, in my opinion, the state is irresponsible to give out licenses so easily. I admire the Swedish system. You have to take several written and practical (driving) exams, and in-between each round of exams, you're required to get a minimum number of hours of driving practice, which, I assume, has to be done in the presence of an instructor.

By the time you're done, you're ready to handle pretty much any situation, any unusual circumstance. It's very expensive, but effective. I'd practically kill to get that driving course! (It's just an expression, Alex. I wouldn't really kill anyone. ) Also, notice, Alex, that in Sweden, if you are stopped for drunk driving, you lose your license FOR LIFE! One strike, and you're out FOREVER! This would never work in Russia. The people would revolt.

In the US, in contrast, no minimum number of practical hours are required at all, and you can have a relative accompany you, you don't need to have an official teacher for your driving practice. After you pass a very simple test, the state gives you a license and turns you loose on the unwitting public. No one teaches you how to use all the gears. (!) No one teaches you what to do in various unexpected situations (the traffic lights at an interesection aren't functioning, for example.) The instruction is very basic.

I like what they do in Romania; new drivers are required to post a sign in their rear window for the first year after they get their license, saying there's a new driver in the car.
In Russia to obtain the driving license must pass 2 training. Theoretical knowledge of traffic rules and practical for the right to drive. Bad one, for every step you have to pay money. Now regularly raise the penalties for drunk driving. Amount already quite high, and deprivation of a driving licence for 1,5 years.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why are Russians and other Eastern Slavs so violent?

What I've heard disputes in Russia are often decided by fists, and the one who wins is right and the beaten once loses the 'argument'.

Is it also true that domestic violence is a sign of devotion and that the other one cares for you?

Nope. The maximum revoking of the license is 3 years in Sweden and 5 years in Finland.
Power on the side of truth, and not on the side of the force. Slavs strong because of their early childhood teach them the history, the great ancestors. Of course still living conditions. Life is the best coach

Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
This is not a stereotype, some my friends bought their driving license for ~$200, probably in Moscow driving license is more expensive, but still many people can to buy it without any troubles.
200 $???!!! I fell down laughing!!!!))) 200 USD in Russia is very small amount!)))

Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 AM

each nation has a shame. Not only in Russian)

Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
Funny topic. I am Russian too. I can't speak about whole country, but i can give you my opinion about Moscow, because i lived there all my life.

About russian traffic police - yes, it is true. What else do you expect from country with so huge level of corruption? And, by the way, the problem not only in that, but in people. In Moscow people who have expensive cars believe that it gives them right to violate the traffic rules. This is savage' behavior. Of course, not all people acting like that, but many of them unfortunately. And, such type of violators are the constant income for russian traffic police. The excellent prove of the all that shame are the funny videos on youtube called "stop cad" or "Стоп хам" in Russian, where one group of people (they are not police!) glue stickers on the windshield of wrong parked cars and after that the owner of the car starts to fight with them. That videos clearly reflect the truth about Russian drivers.

About fighting - Russia is a wild country. But don't be naive - that doesn't mean that Russians are "stronger" or "braver" than others, like many stupid Russians are trying to believe and brag about it. It would be enough to see an average person in Miami, for example, where it is popular to go to the gym or any other kind of exercise and where smoking (cigarettes) is not popular. And after that take a look at Moscow, where the vast majority of people is smoking, many of them drinking and using drugs. Again, not all of them, but many of them. The difference between Moscow and Miami for me was very noticeable and disappointing. Despite stereotypes about "fat Americans" the truth is that an average American (well, ok, Miami inhabitant, at least, may be in other places situation is different, i don't know) is much more healthy and much more polite than an average person in Moscow.

Add here the stupid and absolutely retarded hidden propoganda of alcohol in Russian TV, movies and music where they are trying to make Russians believe, that drinking it is "russian style" and all that retarded jokes like "if you don't like to drink you are not Russian". It is like vicious circle.

In soviet times the situation was better, but after 1990's the communists were replaced by criminals, who called themselves "democrats". And total decline of culture happen after that. Now situation is better than in 1990s, but it is still not possible to call Russia "European" country. Russia is not North Korea or Iraq, of course, but also it is not the best place to live.

Moscow is not Russia))) In Moscow foreigners 80 per cent more than the Russians. The Russian nation does not like Moscow - where all the dirt...

Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,339 times
Why is Russia such a superstitious culture?
* Not showing babies until a month after its birth;
* An unbelievable fear of drafts (skvoznyak);
* Sitting on cold concrete will freeze ovaries/testicles;
* Visiting old women in the village for advice/healing;
* Not shaking hands through doorways;
* Whistling indoors will lead to your money leaving;
* Not going back home to get something you've forgotten, unless truly necessary;
* The whole mirror by the front door thing...
There are many, many more as you know.

These are not superstitions limited to baba in the village. These were expressed very often and by otherwise extremely learned people. I've always found this superstitious streak to be quite incongruous with the Russian propensity to be really good at hard sciences and math. I mean, I spent quite a lot of time in hospitals while living in Russia (birth of my children, son's hernia operation), and even doctors and nurses exhibited some of these traits. I understand such beliefs in the village, but find it surprising with otherwise educated and modern populaces. Moreover, I've found it intriguing that young men think nothing of doing the craziest stuff possible (VDV day, anyone?), but those same men will cringe if two windows are open at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe