Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times

Advertisements

I
Quote:
understand this is the discussion culture in Russia, but damn it's burdening.
Burdening... for sure in the annals of Russian-US competition and engagement.

To get some presepctive, I recently checked in with Mr. Gorbachev's perstroika movement back then in the 80's. Very interesting. At the time the concern was nuclear annhilation between the two therefore much much discussion on disarmament. But the competition inherent between the systems within both countries wasn't on the table at all. Of course, it was a given and never would move to any discussion of course. But to go on, I was impressed by what Mr. Gorbachev did say herein his book 'Perestroika':

'The future belongs to a society governed by principles of social justice, freedom and harmonious development of the individual. But every nation has the right to decide whether these principles are good for it and whether it wants to adopt them in restructuring its life. If it does, it is up to it to decide how fast and in what form it should do so'.

But really 'perestroika' then hasn't gone down very well on this issue with the current Russian regime since we arguably see a great big contradiction in Mr. Gorbachev's comment with Mr. Putin's view of actons in the Crimea and Ukraine. Looking at Putin under the circumstances, he simply ignores the concepts discussed. Mr. Gorbachev then quotes Lenin with...

'Revolutions ripen when millions of people realize they can no longer live the old way'. They ripen in the process of historical development and break out when a certian combinatuion of internal and external conditions arises'.

And thus proceeds the Ukrainian 'revolution' and Russia's considerable lip service to its own beliefs when looking at sovereign nation-states. Apparently it is too much pain on the Russian heart to see a dearly beloved go its own way.
Thus Mr. Putin's attempt to waylay that Ukrainian revolution harks back to a further Gorbachev point where he says that:

'Any attempts to make a revolution 'to order' or set a date for it were condemned by Lenin as 'charlatanism'.

From the current events now going on, it appears Russia is practicing that 'charlatanism' which would be undignified in a Gorbachevian world trying for coexistence with the EU and the US. But I'd think Gorbachev at the time did not think that regional conflicts would affect Russian foreign policy to such an extent that it would actually interfere and undertake territorial invasion to forward its policies as such. Gorbachev arguably looked to the future on his thoughts on handling that competitive co-existence. But it looks like 'back-to-the-future' with Putin's play of cold and post-war actions. Is it any wonder nations are grumbling again and looking left and right and where next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,617,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I

Burdening... for sure in the annals of Russian-US competition and engagement.

To get some presepctive, I recently checked in with Mr. Gorbachev's perstroika movement back then in the 80's. Very interesting. At the time the concern was nuclear annhilation between the two therefore much much discussion on disarmament. But the competition inherent between the systems within both countries wasn't on the table at all. Of course, it was a given and never would move to any discussion of course. But to go on, I was impressed by what Mr. Gorbachev did say herein his book 'Perestroika':

'The future belongs to a society governed by principles of social justice, freedom and harmonious development of the individual. But every nation has the right to decide whether these principles are good for it and whether it wants to adopt them in restructuring its life. If it does, it is up to it to decide how fast and in what form it should do so'.

But really 'perestroika' then hasn't gone down very well on this issue with the current Russian regime since we arguably see a great big contradiction in Mr. Gorbachev's comment with Mr. Putin's view of actons in the Crimea and Ukraine. Looking at Putin under the circumstances, he simply ignores the concepts discussed. Mr. Gorbachev then quotes Lenin with...

'Revolutions ripen when millions of people realize they can no longer live the old way'. They ripen in the process of historical development and break out when a certian combinatuion of internal and external conditions arises'.

And thus proceeds the Ukrainian 'revolution' and Russia's considerable lip service to its own beliefs when looking at sovereign nation-states. Apparently it is too much pain on the Russian heart to see a dearly beloved go its own way.
Thus Mr. Putin's attempt to waylay that Ukrainian revolution harks back to a further Gorbachev point where he says that:

'Any attempts to make a revolution 'to order' or set a date for it were condemned by Lenin as 'charlatanism'.

From the current events now going on, it appears Russia is practicing that 'charlatanism' which would be undignified in a Gorbachevian world trying for coexistence with the EU and the US. But I'd think Gorbachev at the time did not think that regional conflicts would affect Russian foreign policy to such an extent that it would actually interfere and undertake territorial invasion to forward its policies as such. Gorbachev arguably looked to the future on his thoughts on handling that competitive co-existence. But it looks like 'back-to-the-future' with Putin's play of cold and post-war actions. Is it any wonder nations are grumbling again and looking left and right and where next?
I have no doubt that for you Gorbachev hero who destroyed the USSR and destroyed industry. CIA advisers helped to control and plunder the country thanks to Gorbachev and Yeltsin . For us, he is an enemy of the people. If you lived in the Soviet Union.If you lived in the 90s in Russia, then you would have realized in practice his words. And do not praise it.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Well, I would be happy if there was a Yeltsin in charge and he would focus on bombing the parliament building.

Mikhail Gorbachev is perhaps the most symphathetic person who came from the USSR and I'll have a lot of respect for the guy. Without him I've never have learned the words perestroika or glasnost. Now I will always remember, and would love to meet him before he dies. A real hero in our time.

And I would love to meet Putin as well. He has visited my city frequently and apparently lived here as well. I've would like to speak with him and take a walk at the river bank or go swimming. He has to have some good stories to tell.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
For us, he is an enemy of the people. If you lived in the Soviet Union.If you lived in the 90s in Russia, then you would have realized in practice his words. And do not praise it.
I am sorry he is viewed as an 'enemy of the people'. Ironic he is an EOTP since he indeed was Russia's leader. Reading his book, aptly adding the title 'New Thinking for Our Country and the World', a reader can feel he is a patriot. I was impressed in how he looked and tried to solve the problems in this great rivalry affecting most global affairs. And he did not stint in his criticism of the US. Frankly, Mr. Gorbachev saw the writing on the wall trying to move the Russian people and his country into another era. I'm afraid Putin is too but it is in another complete direction. Both men did and do what they're comfortable with. Gorbachev, with calm and frank analysis and diplomacy. Putin with his emphasis on action and economic clout to punish 'dissidents' and a harkening to the 'glory days'. So we will see how all this plays out. But unfortunately the movie is going backwards. Not a good sign I think but I'm still going to wish for some hope.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
Bull****. Just compare, how people in US celebrate veterans day and how Russians celebrate may 9, for example.
There was nothing in the US of the magnitude of the Russian Great Patriotic War, and hence there is a difference between celebration of the 9th of May and Veteran's day.
Westerners ( and the US in particular) were spared for the most part the kind of hardships that Russians had throughout their history.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
[Westerners ( and the US in particular) were spared for the most part the kind of hardships that Russians had throughout their history.
Very true. At times, I believe those in the West do not appreciate the Russian mentality when looking at their history bound in heroic self-sacrifice in times of great stress. It is a great unifier. But it also produces great sorrow. Thus a country of extremes. Russians die hard but try to live as best as they can before they do. All should respect that.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I have no experience with Russia or Russians but would be happy to answer any questions about anything concerning them or their country.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:58 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,617,811 times
Moderator cut: Response to deleted post, see translation below

It's true in jokes.
It's funny that some in the West think that Russian is the most vile and ignoble creature. Here are just only the Russian people to forgive their enemies crime and care about their country and people. Only Russian ready to give their lives so selflessly for another nation .Russian second world forgave the Germans and did not feel hatred when they went to Germany and Berlin . Russian forgive French for the deaths of hundreds thousands of Russian people and the destruction of Moscow. No Frenchman was punished . Russian not robbed France,Unlike Europeans . but we are called barbarians . Russian only responded to the death of the Italians in the crash Mesina and gave their lives to save thousands of Italians. Russian helped unite the German land and joined them after the Second World destroying the Berlin Wall. Then England and France was against it.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-10-2014 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
I'll translate it for you;

Obama;
-We do not recognize the referendum results in Crimea!
The reporter;
-What if people of Crimea vote against Russia?
Obama;
-Then we'll recognize the results.

Russians are not against Maidan that's considered a democratic event in the West. More than that, Russians hope for more democratic events like that in Washington, London, Berlin, Paris...

According to the latest report of ITAR-TASS, President Putin has excluded the US, Canada, France, Great Britain, Germany, Italy and Japan from G-8 and prohibited their participation in the Summit taking place in Sochi.

An American guy who is afraid of the abrupt break of diplomatic relations with Russia the most, is the one who sits now in International Space Station.

Russia outplayed the West completely in Crimea, because Russia is engaged in geopolitics, while the West - in homopolitics.

The State Secretary is rushing in into the Oval Office;
-Mister President! Russian troops have entered Crimea!
-What?! Without any bombing and artillery shelling?!
They are as barbaric as ever!!!

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-10-2014 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to a deleted post

Old 04-26-2014, 06:56 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
How do most Russians like their yogurt, a bit sour and thick and creamy that you can stick a fork in, like in Greece (probably also Turkey), or sweet and liquidity like in western Europe and most of the US and I think also much of Latin America? Or in some other way?

Personally I prefer it a bit sour, thick, creamy, and in the US there is only one truly Greek brand commonly available, maybe others in specialty ethnic stores (Greek, Syrian, Turkish). One time in rural Greece I ate fresh yogurt, fresh as in I actually saw the cow, and it almost knocked me off my feet.

What about coffee? Do most Russians drink filtered coffee like in the US, or espresso type coffee typical of Italy and some Spanish-speaking countries, or with the grinds directly in the water that makes sort of a mud-pile on the bottom, like in Slovakia, for example (where I tried it that way for the first time), Greece and I think also Turkey (let's call it mud style)? Or in some other way? Generally speaking, do most people in Russia drink coffee everyday, basically a national addiction like in most of western Europe and the Americas? Or is it relatively rare or perhaps only in certain regions or among certain income groups?

Personally I prefer it espresso style, second mud style, and, third, if no other choice, filtered.

As an exception, however, in South America I have tasted freshly ground coffee filtered very slowly through a cloth filter, as opposed to factory-processed coffee filtered quickly through paper filters which is typical in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe