Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

Retirees jacked up the prices. Made it look like it was a hot place to be. And then they get part-time jobs to give them something to do. Employers love them. Cheap pay and no benefits.

Then those same retirees are surprised when they find surly workers that don't want to wait on them.

I worked at K-mart one Christma season. Nice retired gentleman remarked how the help was terrible in the stores. It was not a comment directed at me. I told him what those workers was paid. He was stunned. He just couldn't believe it.

A lot of those workers come down to Florida after retiring from a union job. Lot of GM workers. Back in the day, all they had to do was show up and they had great wages and benefits. These are the same folks that are in Fort Myers.

I'm glad that I am out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 07:32 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
On the news when you hear about crime, it usually is in Ft. Myers, Cape Coral or Lehigh Acres down here in SW Florida.
Cape Coral leads the nation in grow houses 21 this year alone, I think you can get an agricultural exemption for it though.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:42 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Default moved out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Retirees jacked up the prices. Made it look like it was a hot place to be. And then they get part-time jobs to give them something to do. Employers love them. Cheap pay and no benefits.

Then those same retirees are surprised when they find surly workers that don't want to wait on them.

I worked at K-mart one Christma season. Nice retired gentleman remarked how the help was terrible in the stores. It was not a comment directed at me. I told him what those workers was paid. He was stunned. He just couldn't believe it.

A lot of those workers come down to Florida after retiring from a union job. Lot of GM workers. Back in the day, all they had to do was show up and they had great wages and benefits. These are the same folks that are in Fort Myers.

I'm glad that I am out.
where are you living now?

Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,459 times
im orinagly from detroit but ive lived in fort myers for about 2 yrs and i lived in a bad neiborhood in detroit n thought it was bad but my 3rd month in fort myers my brother was stabbed n his freind shot dead n it happens everyday in my neiborhood id have to agree that its worse thn chi town

Old 12-18-2006, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 16,276 times
I have lived in Ft Myers for 10 years and the most I have seen was someone unlocked my car door, when they saw I didn't have a stereo, they left. I had money in the center console and they didn't even look. maybe we just have dumb criminals or dumber I guess.

Like any city there are areas with higher crime rates, but I haven't seen it.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:56 PM

23 posts, read 86,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
How many of those of you complaining about the high crime rate have been personally affected by a crime in Florida?

I've lived here 34+ years and the most I've seen is a cd player stolen from a car we forgot to lock. However, we never lock our house. I'm not rich and I live in an average house in an average neighborhood in Port St. Lucie.
You're very fortunate. I've lived in Ft Myers for almost 30 years and I've always lived in average (or better) neighborhoods. I've had: Our new house broken into and ALL electronics stolen, my car broken into by smashing the window and stereo/speakers/amp stolen, and last but not least, my husband and I were held up at gunpoint while window shopping at a car dealer after hours (not dark....just after hours). I'm an average working mom and don't participate in any questionable activities or hang out with questionable people....so maybe I'm just unlucky....but I doubt it. I'm getting my kids out of here as soon as I can! Oh, and we ALWAYS lock our house and car doors....little good that it's done us....just spent more time cleaning up glass ;o)

Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 PM

168 posts, read 763,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Lots of crime all over Florida. Thats another reason im moving out besides the fact I cant afford even a shack in a bad neighboorhood!
darn, when are you moving? time? date?

Last edited by florigidge; 01-26-2007 at 08:55 PM..

Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 PM

Smile ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
How many of those of you complaining about the high crime rate have been personally affected by a crime in Florida?

I've lived here 34+ years and the most I've seen is a cd player stolen from a car we forgot to lock. However, we never lock our house. I'm not rich and I live in an average house in an average neighborhood in Port St. Lucie.

ditto to that pslOldTimer. i'm 58, lived in miami from 1951 - 1984; gainesville 1986-2003. the only crime we experienced was a car was stolen (65 1/2 mustang, found later burned up; police said someone took it for the transmission) in the 70s (i didn't live at home at the time so i forget the exact year - this was in blue collar hialeah) and my dad's truck was broken into but nothing was stolen (same house, blue collar working class hialeah.) this isn't to say that hialeah didn't continue to become overpopulated, especially on my parent's block, but this was our/their only experience with crime in all the years they lived there.

not ever a problem for me in gainesville either.

as i've posted before, most people are rarely affect by crime, especially violent crime, but the tv and the news loves to lead with it - if it bleeds, it leads, as they say.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
You're very fortunate. I've lived in Ft Myers for almost 30 years and I've always lived in average (or better) neighborhoods. I've had: Our new house broken into and ALL electronics stolen, my car broken into by smashing the window and stereo/speakers/amp stolen, and last but not least, my husband and I were held up at gunpoint while window shopping at a car dealer after hours (not dark....just after hours). I'm an average working mom and don't participate in any questionable activities or hang out with questionable people....so maybe I'm just unlucky....but I doubt it. I'm getting my kids out of here as soon as I can! Oh, and we ALWAYS lock our house and car doors....little good that it's done us....just spent more time cleaning up glass ;o)
i'm kinda curious - where do you plan to go?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM

326 posts, read 470,691 times
From what I have seen on "Cops", it seems that there are just a few high crime areas in florida; (from high crime rates to low) West Palm Beach, Jacksonville, Orlando, and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area