Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:30 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times

Advertisements

Nope, I don't sew clothes from scratch anymore. I can find better prices on the clearance racks. When DD needed capri's and shorts for summer we found jeans and pants on clearance for $2.24. We bought enough to cut up and make what she needed for summer and some extra pairs to keep long for school next year. I couldn't find fabric and notions for that price (assuming I already had a pattern).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Being able to sew helps you fix the stuff you buy at the thrift store that doesn't fit quite right.
Yes, this is mostly the kind of garment sewing I do now and I still think sewing is an important frugal skill even if we aren't sewing from scratch. DD is petite so something always needs to be taken in, taken up, etc.

I miss sewing clothes but the fabric and patterns are just too much. I still sew home decor items, crafty stuff....right now DD and I are making sock monkeys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM

171 posts, read 444,325 times
I'm not a talented seamstress, but I like making old things new again with a twist. Mittens from old felted sweaters, that sort of thing. If you snatch them up for free or really cheap, I think used clothes and other cloth (sheets, etc.) could be a great way to make your own and save some money.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:43 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
A few years ago, out of boredom, I taught myself to sew; and I made quite a few simple, but quite nice, dresses, skirts and cover ups. Even made a couple of dresses for a friend. Unfortunately, the cost of fabric has gone up so much, that, now I mostly rework garments I pick up at thrift stores.

Every now and then, if I see a nice piece of fabric on sale, I will buy it, but that's so rare these days.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw1972 View Post
I'm not a talented seamstress, but I like making old things new again with a twist. Mittens from old felted sweaters, that sort of thing. If you snatch them up for free or really cheap, I think used clothes and other cloth (sheets, etc.) could be a great way to make your own and save some money.
yes! sewing with goods from thrift store / free-cycle.

Saw these this week in Portland, OR craft store:
Very cute skirts made from men's ties, handbags from denim shirts, tailored slacks with insets from vintage materials, really cute kid's clothes (patchwork)... all very nice

Sewing- Recycled Projects · Sewing @ CraftGossip
Consumption Rebellion: More sewing from recycled materials
Recycled Sewing

Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Anyone sew their own clothes to be frugal?

Nope.
It's too expensive to sew my own clothes.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Is it expensive to repair torn/ripped clothing?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Not clothes, but I sew bed covers and window treatments

Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Is it expensive to repair torn/ripped clothing?
Nope. And you don't even need a sewing machine for a lot of these fixes. Certain things won't look right after a repair, so you'll have to remake it or cover it. I can't mend a t shirt without it getting all stretched out, so often, if it's a t-shirt I love, I'll hand sew the tear (always get it before washing and as soon as possible!!!) to seal it up, and then toss some light weight cute buttons over the shirt and sew them where they land, and one to cover the mend. Tossing really does give the feeling of ease -- I can't plan a freeform organic button toss.

It is expensive to have someone else do it.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Nope. And you don't even need a sewing machine for a lot of these fixes. Certain things won't look right after a repair, so you'll have to remake it or cover it. I can't mend a t shirt without it getting all stretched out, so often, if it's a t-shirt I love, I'll hand sew the tear (always get it before washing and as soon as possible!!!) to seal it up, and then toss some light weight cute buttons over the shirt and sew them where they land, and one to cover the mend. Tossing really does give the feeling of ease -- I can't plan a freeform organic button toss.

Good to know. I'm a believer in wearing things until there's absolutely no life left in them.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I can't even imagine the amount of dresses I could have made if I had a sewing machine. Every thing I made was hand sewn. I think sewing machine will have to be on my wish list for birthday or Christmas, if anyone wants to be so generous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living