Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,327 times

Advertisements

I mostly pic ready made or semistiched clothes and little bit alteration is done by mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 07:43 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Will you explain that to me?
Here’s a simple guide. I’ve also seen videos where they do cut the tee shirt off.

https://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Duct-Tape-Dress-Form

Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here’s a simple guide. I’ve also seen videos where they do cut the tee shirt off.

And you can buy customizable dress forms. Here's the one I have - https://www.allbrands.com/products/3900

I named her Hepzibah, and keep her dressed in a pretty satin robe. I paid a local sewing instructor for a couple hours of her time to help me adjust the form cover to my body. It was well worth it!

Another thing you could do, short of making your own dress form, is to find a custom seamstress who will draft a set of custom slopers for you. You use your sloper to adjust the sewing patterns you buy. Vogue used to offer a kit for making your own sloper (they may still, for all I know), but I found it much less trouble to hire someone who knows what they're doing to draft my sloper.

Just google 'customizable dress form' and you'll find lots of options.

FWIW, I think it makes more sense to use your existing clothes as a guide for sewing, it's a lot less fussing.

I am a small-framed top-heavy person - in commercial clothing, I wear an XL or 1X top and size 8 or 10 pants - and have tried several approaches to get my clothes to fit right. I now think this pattern maker's approach to fitting is the easiest for me - www.silhouettepatterns.com She has a video titled "Fitting Yourself By Yourself" which is really helpful.

If you are truly creative, the best way to design your own custom clothes is to use a good form and drape it. But if you are that kind of person, you probably already know this!

For me, the prime motivator for still sewing clothes is exactly that I have an anomalous figure to fit. As a rule, if a commercial top is big enough to go around my chest, the shoulder seams will be half-way down to my elbow, and I will be swimming in fabric. I either live with it, or alter it extensively, or start from scratch to make something that fits right from the get-go.

Last edited by jacqueg; 05-08-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

Thank you!

Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 AM

45 posts, read 29,454 times
Not sewing but repurposing ...

I had a black bag made of linen I used for taking groceries home. Eventually it developed a few holes at the bottom, so things fell out and I stopped using it.

I thought about sewing it or throwing it away, then I had an idea. I cut a few inches off at the bottom and cut off the handles as well. So I had a skirt for free, without even sewing.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:26 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,823 times
I just finished making a kingsized quilt....40 plus hours of labor( my labor) and around $600 plus in materials and quilting service..because it is much more economical than buying a China made “quilt. Wink.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
I just finished making a kingsized quilt....40 plus hours of labor( my labor) and around $600 plus in materials and quilting service..because it is much more economical than buying a China made “quilt. Wink.
Bet it looks nicer and will last longer!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:48 PM

749 posts, read 852,331 times
Nothing better than bespoke clothing! Wish it was more affordable in the US, not so frugal to purchase these days, at least where we live.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 PM

16 posts, read 9,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Anyone sew their own clothes to be frugal?
Just passing by, yet here I am.

I have Brother CS600i, and it is a workhorse. I make most of my clothes (including bras), and have for many years. Yes, it seems a bit of a waste when clothes have gone down in price so much, but I really like to sew. Also I'm a difficult body type for store bought clothing - too full busted for standard sizes. So mending and alterations are everything! But in general it might be cheaper to buy used clothes than make them yourself, but - imo - everyone should know how to do basic alterations. For me, the satisfaction and enjoyment I get out of making my own clothes is worth it.

And sewing skills can save a lot of money if it's not clothes. For instance, curtains are very easy to make, and you save a lot of money. Often sofas have cushions that are covered separately, and you can easily repair or replace the covers when they wear out. Tablecloths can just be hemmed pieces of material.

I just completed a summer robe and night dress for hot weather, since I could not find anything in light woven cotton that was modest, for a reasonable amount of money.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:13 AM

963 posts, read 2,301,823 times
I combine the best of two worlds. I buy nearly all of my clothing second-hand and taught myself to do alterations. You can find excellent gently used clothing from the finest brands by thrift-shopping at a fraction of the cost. I purchased a new Brother sewing machine for $75 a couple of years ago. Now I alter all of the suits, sport coats, pants and shirts that I purchase second-hand to give them a perfectly tailored look - https://splurgefrugal.com/altering-m...-before-after/

Combining thrift shopping (and buying online on eBay) with doing all of my own alterations reaps enormous savings and allows me to wear top quality clothing without the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living