Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not clothes, but I sew bed covers and window treatments
Same here. I'm a pro at straight lines.

My mom still sews most of her clothes, but she wears lots of shift type dresses. I'm not near good enough a seamstress to sew anything other than a skirt....which I would rarely wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
If you live in or close to Illinois you can take advantage of back-to-school sales tax holiday for another week. And it includes clothes!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:57 AM

93 posts, read 358,333 times
There are definite ways to get fabric inexpensively.

For plus sized ladies, it is infinitely cheaper to make clothes than it is to buy them!

Some tips:

1. Learn to redo thrift store finds, as mentioned above.
2. Raid someone's fabric stash. If you know someone who used to like to sew, chances are they have a stash they wouldn't mind parting with.
3. Thrift store sheets or other bed linens! I can get a king sized flat sheet for $4. That's a ton of fabric. And there are some cute retro sheets out there.
4. In the same vein, drapery. I have found some great valances that became easy and cute skirts. Those are $1-2!
5. Patterns are ALWAYS going on sale. Yes, the MSRP is high, but I only buy patterns for under $3. WalMart has a number of patterns for $2.50ish, and Joanns, Hancock, and Hobby Lobby frequently (as in, more than once a month) have patterns on sale for 99 cents.

I love to sew. Since I am plus sized, I can't get things ready-made for $4. Anywhere. If I'm lucky, I will stumble on something for $10. For $10, I can make a dress and two skirts.

Happy sewing!

Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM

45 posts, read 29,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Good to know. I'm a believer in wearing things until there's absolutely no life left in them.
Me as well.

But I don't sew clothes, never learned how to do it properly. I just wear my clothes until they literally fall apart.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:08 AM

7,038 posts, read 6,288,650 times
I used to sew a lot and made my own clothes. But, as a lot have said, it just got too expensive. That's sad because there was such a sense of accomplishment when I finished. Especially if someone asked me where I bought it so they could get one.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:00 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Anyone sew their own clothes to be frugal?
It doesn't save money. You can buy clothes at a Ross and other discount clothing stores, for far less than it costs to buy fabric and patterns.

It used save money to sew clothing but now that there is so much mass produced, cheap clothing, it's less expensive (and less time consuming) to simply buy a garment.

Sewing is a hobby now, not something done to save money. The only exception is it does save to mend your own clothes rather than taking them to a tailor.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:17 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
The only time it is frugal to sew clothing is when it is a specialty item or it contains a lot of hand work. Other than that, fabric has gotten so expensive that it is cheaper to buy clothing.

The price of patterns has gotten insane. Fabric and notions have increased greatly in price and reduced greatly in quality. It's not worth putting the time in to sew.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:32 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
I agree with the above- made all my own clothes when I was in HS and college but the prices of fabric and patterns are crazy. I'm also old enough to remember the days when pattern pieces were on individual sheets- then they started grouping small pieces together and now you have to cut out all the pieces before you can even lay it out on the fabric. Big PITA.

I do have a sewing machine and the skills I learned definitely help me keep my clothes longer because I can mend them, replace buttons, etc.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:07 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It doesn't save money. You can buy clothes at a Ross and other discount clothing stores, for far less than it costs to buy fabric and patterns.

It used save money to sew clothing but now that there is so much mass produced, cheap clothing, it's less expensive (and less time consuming) to simply buy a garment.

Sewing is a hobby now, not something done to save money. The only exception is it does save to mend your own clothes rather than taking them to a tailor.
I'm sorry your area doesn't have quality material to create your own clothing.

IT DOES SAVE.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
If you are an accomplished sewist, and you search out quality fabrics, you can save money sewing quality, beautifully fitted clothes. But, no, you cannot save money making tee shirts and pull on pants.

For me, fit issues I could not resolve, and time, were the reasons I stopped sewing my clothes years ago. I began working part time, and I just could not find time or mental energy to sew clothes for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living