Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times

Advertisements

Everyday luxuries are something that many take for granted when they have the means and if their means ever falls, those little luxuries are about the hardest ones to give up.

I'd say my everyday luxuries (well weekly or bi-weekly) include eating out for most of my meals because I simply don't care to cook for one person and having a bunch of mess left over. Other luxuries I take for granted include having my house professionally cleaned once every two weeks (or every week if I'm having company that week), having my yardwork done by the local lawn services, and going to Lake Havasu every weekend with friends to take my boat out and relax on the beautiful water. I've been getting into the routine of not letting anything interrupt my weekend schedule- I don't go to work functions, weddings, funerals, parties, or anything during my summer weekends anymore. I truly enjoy the little luxury of being able to put my 9-5 (well more like 6-8) weekday schedule in the back of my mind and heading for the lake in my 'Vette and being able to be on the water with a bunch of friends and/or family. It would be one of the hardest things to give up if my financial situation ever takes a turn for the worst. I'm too set in my schedule to change, I'm enjoying life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
My biggest everyday luxury is whole bean coffee, freshly ground. I still prefer to brew my own, but my luxury is buying the more costly whole bean than pre-ground. Worth it to me, tastewise.

Another is bagged, prewashed salad, both for the convenience, and because, in the case of whole salad kits, it often works out more inexpensively than buying the greens, added veggies, added garnishes, and dressing seperately.

Neither would be difficult to do without, should I need to.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:07 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,842 times
good health and a housecleaner once every two weeks.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM

344 posts, read 427,661 times
Chick-Fil-a at least twice a week

Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
It's not every day, it is once every two weeks: cleaning service.
Priceless.
This would be the last "non-survival" item I would cut off.
But then again, I cannot stand dirty houses and I simply do not have the time or the energy to do it myself.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Twice monthly cleaning service would be something I could get behind, but I can't shake the guilt that my house isn't so big that I shouldn't be able to easily tackle it myself. Ah, well, my issue.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,842 times
I could shake any guilt anyone would try to lay on me. Guilt??? this again reminds me of the commercial,

I can bring home the bacon,
fry it up in a pan,
and never, never let you forget your a man

HA!!! forget that! - I am not super duper woman

I work full time and housecleaning is yet another full time job along with running errands, paying bills, cooking dinner, the list goes on and on. I am with you syracusa, last non-survival thing to go.

No guilt here what so ever and worth every penny.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 PM

297 posts, read 740,529 times
I buy a package of microfiber towels once a week to wipe my car down to keep it dust-free. So far, I prefer to throw them away once used as opposed to washing them since the washing doesn't leave the towels devoid of any dust that is embedded from the wiping.

That's my everyday luxury. And also 93 octane gas.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I have my house cleaned every two weeks. I go to a nail salon once or twice a month. I have some one do my laundry. I belong to a health club. I go out to eat a lot. I buy cut up fruit at whole foods market.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
I could shake any guilt anyone would try to lay on me. Guilt??? this again reminds me of the commercial,

I can bring home the bacon,
fry it up in a pan,
and never, never let you forget your a man

HA!!! forget that! - I am not super duper woman

I work full time and housecleaning is yet another full time job along with running errands, paying bills, cooking dinner, the list goes on and on. I am with you syracusa, last non-survival thing to go.

No guilt here what so ever and worth every penny.
The guilt wouldn't be from anybody else. It would be from feeling like a lazyass for not being able to keep my TINY home clean without hiring out for it. Seriously...it's not like I live in a mansion...I have a kitchen, a bathroom, a living room, a dining room, and two bedrooms. It really shouldn't take a crew to keep it clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living