Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times

Advertisements

If you work a full time job I say treat yourself to at least a helper for spring cleaning. I am not a shopaholic and mind my finances well. I am not lazy in any sense of the word but I just do not enjoy cleaning if my life depended on it BUT I do enjoy a clean house. When it comes to cleaning I am a putzer and can never get it done. It also angers me when everyone expects it while they relax after work. Hubby says that he doesn't want to do it and a house cleaner is cheaper than a divorce lawyer. (smart man)

Nope, those commercials where you see the lady dancing and singing as she cleans the toilet. lol SERIOUSLY!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:28 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Reading this thread reminds me that there are a lot of stupid people in our society. Some people buy a crappy, overpriced McMansion, with more space they will ever need, then complain about not being able to clean it or maintain it, so they have to hire people to do it, absolutely stupid!

I am single, I live in a 1 bed condo and I try to make my place as functional and efficient as possible. I don't even understand why 1 person living alone would want to live in a 3000 square feet home

Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Reading this thread reminds me that there are a lot of stupid people in our society. Some people buy a crappy, overpriced McMansion, with more space they will ever need, then complain about not being able to clean it or maintain it, so they have to hire people to do it, absolutely stupid!

I am single, I live in a 1 bed condo and I try to make my place as functional and efficient as possible. I don't even understand why 1 person living alone would want to live in a 3000 square feet home
I live in a house close to 3000 sq ft and I'm a single guy. Know why?! Because I LIKE having a large home to entertain in, something I couldn't do in a small space.

Everyone has their priorities, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make them "stupid".

Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Get my haircut twice a year at Supercuts.

Other than that, can't think of a thing that I splurge on.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I have my hair dyed at a salon and go in for regular "root maintenance" and trims. I also have a guy cut my lawn but I may be giving that up soon and doing it myself...we shall see.

I use some convenience foods since I'm cooking less and less, it's usually just me and it's not always worth the effort to make specialty dishes I need odd ingredients for when I can pick up a serving pretty cheap. I'd rather do take out from an ethnic restaurant than get a prepackaged or frozen meal though.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
.....can't think of a thing that I splurge on.
Wow. Nothing?
-- You don't order out at work, or go out for lunch instead of brown bagging it?
-- You don't ever buy an iced tea or any kind of drink drink, instead of buying six packs to take one with you?
-- You don't buy ANY prepared or pre-cooked food instead of doing all cooking from scratch?
-- Other than the hair cut, you don't pay ANYone to do ANYthing you can/could do yourself?
-- You never buy ANYthing you don't need? Nothing? Not a DVD, e-book?
-- You never go out: movies, sports event, concert?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:01 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I live in a house close to 3000 sq ft and I'm a single guy. Know why?! Because I LIKE having a large home to entertain in, something I couldn't do in a small space.

Everyone has their priorities, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make them "stupid".
Some people just love space - I see having a large home, fine furniture and a pool as the materialistic evidence of my success. Very personal. On the other hand I don't understand why people drive expensive cars, pay ridiculous sums of money for designer clothes, etc. Those things depreciate. Hey, to each their own I guess. I'm single and have a 4,000sq ft house for me and a 600 sq ft pool house for entertaining and maintain it all by myself because NO ONE can clean/keep house like I can! Life would be pretty boring if we were all the same.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
If you work a full time job I say treat yourself to at least a helper for spring cleaning. I am not a shopaholic and mind my finances well. I am not lazy in any sense of the word but I just do not enjoy cleaning if my life depended on it BUT I do enjoy a clean house. When it comes to cleaning I am a putzer and can never get it done. It also angers me when everyone expects it while they relax after work. Hubby says that he doesn't want to do it and a house cleaner is cheaper than a divorce lawyer. (smart man)

Nope, those commercials where you see the lady dancing and singing as she cleans the toilet. lol SERIOUSLY!??
I do work full time.

I could justify perhaps annual professional cleaning, but not regularly. My SO and both pitch in on cleaning, it's not like it all falls to me (if anything, he does more than I do, because he works shorter hours). But there are those times when you just want to relax on your time off or go places and do things, and not do all the maintenance cleaning. But that's life, right? I don't mind cleaning, but it cuts into my limited free time. Waah, I know.

Part of the issue is our dog, who is a heavy shedder, vacuuming, dusting, and assorted cleaning relating to that have to be done very regularly. I don't think most people's regular maintenance cleaning are quite the project they become when you are fighting dog hair every minute of your existence.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
I have a smartphone grandfathered into the VM $25 a month plan. No I don't 'need' a smartphone, but it has made my life tons more convenient.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
That is why I call it my luxury. Housecleaning did all fall on me and believe me I tried doing it all.

When I had a day off I was playing catch up on everything around the house (never could) while hubby did his thing. I was simply exhausted and "miserable". I would have liked to do things I enjoyed too. Then I tried the nagging route, put a sign up on the fridge that said "On Strike" and did just like hubby, I did what I enjoyed. After two weeks of this the house was a disaster and I could not stand it anymore. Hubby did not seem phased, he knew it was just a waiting game. What a happy home that made. Needless to say, it did not work. (ps, not complaining about hubby, hey it was not his thing either)

Anyway, we solved the problem and hired a house cleaner and it is heaven. I am much much happier and hubby is glad he no longer gets the glaring looks. I still maintain the house between time but get a heavy cleaning every other week. When they are here, I run to the grocery store and stock up, do my banking, and other errands. When I get home and the house is spotless and I feel like I am in a castle! I love the evening of the day they clean. It feels like I am on a fantastic vacation.

I don't care what anyone else thinks its my thing.

A friend of mine had a fire place put in her house and decorated like a lodge. She would go to a nice mountain ski lodge for vacation and loved relaxing by the fire place but that was a once a year thing. So what she did was make her living room into her mountain lodge with a fireplace and that was her heaven. Sitting by the fire place reading a good book.

Everyone has their thing that makes them happy and as long as its on their own dime, they should not be judged.

Last edited by eRayP; 04-21-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living