Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Wow. Nothing?
-- You don't order out at work, or go out for lunch instead of brown bagging it?
-- You don't ever buy an iced tea or any kind of drink drink, instead of buying six packs to take one with you?
-- You don't buy ANY prepared or pre-cooked food instead of doing all cooking from scratch?
-- Other than the hair cut, you don't pay ANYone to do ANYthing you can/could do yourself?
-- You never buy ANYthing you don't need? Nothing? Not a DVD, e-book?
-- You never go out: movies, sports event, concert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
LOL...I can answer no to just about everything you listed.
I am with AZDesertBrat. None of the things mentioned in this thread is my "everyday luxuries."

When I was still in the work force, I brown bagged my lunch every day, and soft drinks have never held my interest.

I have always cooked from scratch; I don't even own a can opener. The only frozen packages I buy are peas and corn, and only when they are on sale. I have never bought ready-cooked food.

I stopped buying music CDs when I cannot find great jazz or blues musicians among the new artists.

I don't buy ebooks because I have access to 24 public libraries across the country, with literally millions of ebooks and audiobooks I can borrow daily. I do own physical books, close to a thousand of them in fact, but they were the books I acquired while living abroad, which cannot be found in the States. Daughter also sends me books very often, usually the complete works of authors whom I love.

I don't own an e-reader, iPad, or Smartphone.

The last time I watched TV was April 2001, and I am not familiar with movies, actors, singers, or celebrities who came into the scene within the last decade.

I knit my own sweaters, scarves, socks, gloves, hats, blankets, etc., and at the risk of sounding like a braggart, I have to say my knitted works are of much better quality than store bought.

I do spend money on one or two things, such as aged single malt and expensive yarn, but that's a yearly or twice yearly event, not the daily, weekly, or monthly spending.

In short, I do not regularly pay for anything I can do myself, or anything I can do without, but lest I be thought a skinflint, a curmudgeon, or an ignoramus, because I am not. Husband and I travel extensively and we have no problem spending money on travelling, but that's not the daily luxury. We do not travel daily, weekly, or monthly, though we make at least one or two international trips a year. I also read voraciously, learn a new language every decade, and have friends from all over the world.

As far as daily luxuries, more power to the persons who enjoy them, but for me, there is nothing I would miss if it were taken away, since I don't think I am addicted to any.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 04-23-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
The last time I watched TV was April 2001, and I am not familiar with movies, actors, singers, or celebrities who came into the scene within the last decade. .
yet you have the internet and use forums. i dont watch tv either because it rarely holds my interest, but you just can't avoid some of this stuff as an internet user.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
yet you have the internet and use forums. i dont watch tv either because it rarely holds my interest, but you just can't avoid some of this stuff as an internet user.

I havent had cable TV since 2007, and I know about alot of pop culture simply because its plastered all over the internet. As you said, its impossible to avoid.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I crochet, but I have to say that the cost of making a sweater, scarf, or blanket nearly always eclipses the cost of purchasing one. Yarn is costly. I don't do it to save money, I do it for the enjoyment of making something. I can buy a storebought afghan more cheaply than I can purchase the materials to make one of an equivalent size, most of the time. It's a rewarding skill to have, but I don't find it to be a moneysaver.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I havent had cable TV since 2007, and I know about alot of pop culture simply because its plastered all over the internet. As you said, its impossible to avoid.
Oh, I've heard of Paris Hilton's shenanigans, but I don't think I know anyone else's name aside from hers. Also, she has been infamous for much longer than a decade, I think. In the supermarket, the photos and names on the covers of the magazines at the checkout are as unfamiliar to me as things from intergalactic space.

I read the news from CNN, and I am on the frugal, retirement, travel, books, food, and part of CA forums on CD. I am not on Facebook or Twitter, though I am on G+. None of those forums talk about pop culture or movies of the week.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
I have two.

1. Taking the bus downtown and getting a latte and a little pastry at a coffee shop. This is usually fairly cheap by us here in Dayton. I usually take a journal with me to write on and get a seat near the window to catch the morning light. Sometimes if its nice I'll sit outside.

2. Buying a pretzel from this little local bakery, a pickle and a bottle (..just a bottle, not a six pack) of a microbrew, + some real horseradish or mustard, and having that on the back patio during nice weather.

Both of these are under $10. I think the latte, sweet, and tip is around $6. The pretzel, pickle and beer is probably around $5 or $6.

Yet

Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
I buy books for my e-reader,good cheese and organic apples.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM

71 posts, read 255,197 times
I'm 22 and not graduating till December, so I don't have much by way of funds coming in at the moment.

I enjoy going to the movies alone and do this regularly.

I enjoy wine.

This summer I intend to do personal training. Many would think this is an unnecessary expense, but I only have one body. I found a trainer I love (took boxing with her) and would like to continue working with her and continue improving my health. I think of this as investing in my future, but it's also a luxury.

I also don't have cable and I've cut my food budget by about 150$ to 200$ so that I can afford these things I do enjoy.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I have two.

1. Taking the bus downtown and getting a latte and a little pastry at a coffee shop. This is usually fairly cheap by us here in Dayton. I usually take a journal with me to write on and get a seat near the window to catch the morning light. Sometimes if its nice I'll sit outside.

2. Buying a pretzel from this little local bakery, a pickle and a bottle (..just a bottle, not a six pack) of a microbrew, + some real horseradish or mustard, and having that on the back patio during nice weather.

Both of these are under $10. I think the latte, sweet, and tip is around $6. The pretzel, pickle and beer is probably around $5 or $6.

Every day?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
My goodness, everything but the bare minimum food, shelter and clothing is a luxury.

I own a three-bedroom house; I don't really need that much space. My house is a luxury.

I probably have about two dozen work outfits and many, many more pair of shoes than I really need. How many bras can you wear at once? All but one is a luxury.

My car is a luxury. It would be a pain in the behind to take public transportation to work, but I could do it if I had to.

Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living