Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times

Advertisements

Get rid of the $300 a month car payment and you will that money to buy food....buy a cheaper clunker and have NO payments.

When in business had an account (Liquor store owner) who told me he lived in an Apt for 20 yrs...raised one daughter and drove clunkers all those years saving his money to buy that Liquor store.....(true story)

During my business years always had 2-3 Cads and every year would sell/trade the oldest one and they were all paid for in full at time of purchase. I learned to buy them close to whlse cost with low mileage.

There is always a low mileage car owned by a elderly person if you look around.....that was one of my ways to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:55 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
So if you'll get less, you won't report it, but if it gets you more, you will. Come on. If they want to know this stuff, just tell them the right answers.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:21 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
Getting rid of the car payment and insurance will have no impact on your food stamps. The amount you get in food stamps is based on your income, plus how much you pay for rent and utilities. They don't care if you have a car payment or not.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:20 PM

31,018 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingEagle View Post
Princessnridge, these programs are not designed for students. I understand what you are saying and it is so sad. They expect people to support themselves and they don't want people using public assistance to support themselves while in college. I think it would be better to have an educated populace, but the state and federal government doesn't see it that way!
So true. The Feds apparently have enough to provide Illegal Aliens with housing, foods stamps, and even Lawyers but those of us who have paid into the system for years get left overs.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM

920 posts, read 931,431 times
I used this food stamp calculator but when I clicked FLORIDA it was re-directed so I just used California's food stamp calculator.

It said you get $271-$281 per month. I used your $900 in unemployment, $600 rent and being billed for energy.
Here you go FNS SNAP Program Eligibility Screening Tool

I used California as an example to input your info. You are 30 years old with $600 rent and billed for power/energy each month. $900 income

The States vary but of course, its shouldn't be so much you'd only get $35. This program is governed by the USDA

I tried the same formula using a few other states and it didn't vary that much. So it's likely the worker calculated it wrong imho. Good luck

Old 08-10-2015, 03:38 PM

324 posts, read 271,062 times
I don't trust those calculators. Things got tough 3 years ago and I was told by the calculator I would receive the full 220 benefit..... what I actually received was far less.... $21 a month

Not enough when your upside down and have pared everything down and sold everything you have that has any value.

The idea behind the calculators are great but when you think you have at least one thing partly or mostly covered the get slapped..... it doesn't help those that are feeling helpless in the first place and finally put what is left of their pride to ask for help.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:54 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
The benefits are federal, according to this they are the same for 48 states. Some states have special rules, like whether or not they count the value of your vehicle- but you can probably figure that out on this site

Old 08-11-2015, 02:07 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingEagle View Post
I was also getting unemployment for a while and wasn't eligible for any food stamps. Now I have no income and haven't for over a month so I'm going to apply. They don't care that your expenses exceed your income or EDD award. The system is not designed to help us make ends meet or even prevent homelessness. It is designed to keep people from starving to death. It is really insane what they expect people to live on. Even a full award for food stamps in California is only a bit over $120. a month. These days, that buys about one week's worth of groceries, maybe 1 and a half, if you're eating healthy, organic food! If you're living on Ramen Noodles and garbage, that is still barely enough to have 3 square meals a day. It is a total joke! I wish you the best of luck!!
Healthy organic food? Seriously? Three square meals a day?

Yeah, I know this is an old thread. This reply just slayed me. Out of touch much?

Most of the people I know who get food stamps are just trying to get enough calories to live. They do the best they can but there is no way they can afford to pay premium prices for organic foods. They have to buy the least expensive food they can find. Fresh produce is almost never available because they can't afford spoilage. And useless carbs like bread, noodles, and yes, Ramen are cheap and filling.

Those food stamps won't go far at Whole Paycheck.

I think I could feed 1 person for $120 per month. And no, it wouldn't be organic but you could live on it!

Old 08-15-2015, 01:53 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,565 times
And depending on the area one lives in, they may also get the Farmer's Market card. Where I live in SoCA, most people I know with kids or preg. get about $20 a month / person that is only usable at a local Farmer's Market for fresh fruit and veggies. (Not bread, jellies, etc.)

This does not take away from the food stamps card, which is a little under $200 for one person max.

I do not get these as I work, but have a few handicapped friends that I occasionally drive for shopping so can not give you exact amounts for the stamps, but the Farmer's Market cards are $20/person exact and always.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:06 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,943 times
At my local Farmers Market they give me $10 worth of coupons for $10. Doubles my money.
For the food, not the flowers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living