Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 PM

7,041 posts, read 6,291,056 times

Advertisements

The organic food part killed me too. Seriously? If a person feels they need that they better find a job to support their style of living.

Before I was declared disabled I received $200 a month in food stamps. I was working part time as a home health Aide & as my health worsened, I worked less & less. I finally had an operation & could no longer work. The quack that did the operation did not see me again, only his assistant who decided all by himself that I could go back to work after a month. I couldn't' t walk.but apparently I could work. At the time I was 61. The county cut off all help. Thankfully my sister had let me stay with her after the operation & supported me until I finally was declared disabled. Once that happened, the county worker called me & said I was eligible for $10 a month in food stamps. I didn't say what I wanted to, just told her I wasn't interested. She was shocked I didn't want the $10. $35 I might have thought about. In a pigs eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 11:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Getting rid of the car payment and insurance will have no impact on your food stamps. The amount you get in food stamps is based on your income, plus how much you pay for rent and utilities. They don't care if you have a car payment or not.
But the point is that having a more expensive car costs you money.

Save the money and you have more to put toward other expenses.

Then you may have less need for the food stamps.

Or maybe the point for many people is to game the system and rely on permanent handouts funded by others.....

Old 08-15-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
But the point is that having a more expensive car costs you money.

Save the money and you have more to put toward other expenses.

Then you fT may have less need for the food stamps.

That's very true. All the cars I've had were bought with cash. Most were beaters but they did the job. Food or a car payment, really a no trainer.

Or maybe the point for many people is to game the system and rely on permanent handouts funded by others.....
And that happens too. Good point.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:00 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
Ok, here's {part of} the deal with food stamps {Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-SNAP}, people:

It's a Federal Program administered by the states. Not all states have a work requirement but/and certain exemptions can apply. Not all states have the same requirements/standards.

The food stamp amount was increased and the threshold lowered at the beginning of the recession. As noted, many "work" requirements were also dropped for the recession. Since then, they have cut food stamps.
It is a "sham" system as far as I am concerned, a "bone" they toss out and a "bragging point".
What I mean is: The minimum {in most states} is $16/m. They brag "{unknown # for sure} 45 million people get food stamps under our program"..what they DON'T tell you is that of those {unknown # for sure} 45 million people, 30 million only get that minimum $16/month. MOST PEOPLE only qualify for the $16/m. BIG WHOOP! What exactly, do they expect one to buy with $16 to feed whom?

Jcasio: {OP} they GUARD the formulas and amounts like gold, NO WHERE will you find a chart to tell you what you should get, it is calculated by agents behind the scenes. You get what you get. Be happy you get any at all. You think $35 is a joke? how about that $16/m I mention above? How about the lady in a successive post to yours who was offered only $10/m??? They only let you know you are eligible, and you won't know until you actually apply, and then what you get is what you get. If $1100 is the maximum income, then if you received $1099 you'd qualify. get $1100.01 and you'd be disqualified!

Mary Chumley:It will depend on the rules/requirements of YOUR state. Only when you re-apply OR notify them of the increase in your income will you really know. You are at about the lowest amount handed out already, so it may not affect you much.

Princessnridge:when i was back in college, i received food stamp help and had to "work study" {volunteer-or be assigned to work-job} in the college computer lab, and the local hospital to meet requirements to get them. SO no, I am not surprised about your daughter's situation. They have strange hoops to jump through sometimes. Tell her to re-apply each each semester in case something changes. She should check out a food bank in her college area. Even a bag of groceries a month might have helped her out. They assume if you are getting money for college, you are getting enough. Also see below:

~If you NEED food, check out local Food pantries, or church pantries. You needn't belong to the church but may have to live in certain areas. Catholic Charities does a lot of helping with food. You needn't be Catholic. Other pantries may exist. SOUP kitchens are available at other churches FIND OUT WHERE. I went once with a friend {during a low time for me and him} and we went to a TG dinner, the turkey, mashed taters, stuffing & gravy etc, were all very tasty! It cost us nothing! I went once to the soup kitchen, a flavorful affair, If the food did not go to places like this, it'd be thrown away!

Krawitham: to bad you didn't think of pantries then, you'd have gotten a whole bag of groceries, not just a can of beans a month!

beverlyirvinghotlady: It does not matter how you spend your income, or what you spend it on, only the amount you have coming in, though they DO tend to frown on those who can afford a new car/newer car/car payment {or no payment even} and are "starving". Though i don't get stamps, but i drive an '06, I'd pretty much say anyone driving newer and having a car payment can afford food they just choose to not sepn their money on food!

~ In the county I live in there is no bus service, and the entire county is rural. SO a CAR is {almost} a given! ONLY by applying will you know if you qualify and how much you will get at any given time.

~Sometimes food stamp benefits cards {EBT} are accepted at farmer's markets, or they get a card as mentioned. The IDEA is to HOPEFULLY allow the recipients to get fresh produce instead of processed cheap boxed stuff!

~No one {generally} WANTS to be on food stamps {just the lazy ones}. It is NOT a disgrace, it is a commentary on how this country has failed its people. MOH and I have 3 income streams and I am looking for an additional part time job! We'd like to be able to live on just TWO incomes, but it is getting harder to live on what we already have.

~for those living in The colder climes, HEAP or LIHEAP {(Lo Income) Home Energy Assistance Program} is usually available! In my state, for last winter, a SINGLE person could have up to $2194/m {more than 200% poverty} Or make/get just over $26K+/yr, a family of 4 up to $4219/m or make/get just over $50K/yr in INCOME and STILL GET heating assistance monies paid directly to their heating fuel supplier!!! ONE DOES NOT have to be "dead poor" or "broke" to get help with heating bills. A household of 2? $2869 or just over $34K/yr.

~SO There IS help out there, and people are eligible IF they are eligible. YOU WON"T know UNTIL YOU APPLY. There is NO DISGRACE in asking for help the disgrace is in NOT asking for help when you need it!

~OH, IF you have NEVER applied, or applied a long time ago, take GOBS of documentation with you! YOU will need it! FOR everyone living in your household: take SS Cards, birth certificates, citizen certificates {if applicable}, {maybe income tax returns}, proof of income, pay stubs, proof of cash assets, bank statements, proof of address, proof of lease/rent/mortgage, proof of utilities. Did I forget anything? In short, iF you have it on paper, they want to see it and copy it!! ALMOST guaranteed no matter how "prepared you are" they will send you off to get something else you haven't got with you!

Best of luck to everyone struggling!
I've been there, one that, got the free T-shirt they gave away!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:38 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Ok, here's {part of} the deal with food stamps {Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-SNAP}, people:It's a Federal Program administered by the states. Not all states have a work requirement but/and certain exemptions can apply. Not all states have the same requirements/standards.The food stamp amount was increased and the threshold lowered at the beginning of the recession. As noted, many "work" requirements were also dropped for the recession. Since then, they have cut food stamps. It is a "sham" system as far as I am concerned, a "bone" they toss out and a "bragging point".What I mean is: The minimum {in most states} is $16/m. They brag "{unknown # for sure} 45 million people get food stamps under our program"..what they DON'T tell you is that of those {unknown # for sure} 45 million people, 30 million only get that minimum $16/month. MOST PEOPLE only qualify for the $16/m. BIG WHOOP! What exactly, do they expect one to buy with $16 to feed whom?
The program is quite transparent, anyone can use this tool and find out if they are eligible, and how much they are eligible for. FNS SNAP Program Eligibility Screening Tool

Here are the average SNAP benefits per person, for the US that is $125.35. If your claim that 30 million people only receive $16 a month were true, then to achieve that average the top third would have to be receiving huge benefits per person, which is impossible since in most places a single person can't receive more than $180-200 a month. http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...SNAPavg$PP.pdf

I think SNAP is one of the better run social service programs, sorry your experience is different.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 PM

206 posts, read 238,517 times
The local food pantries may be option. Do you live close to soup kitchen? Could try Aldis or salvage grocery store for best results. If you work part-time in hotel with banquets or buffet places, they do give employees the extra food...some of the other restaurants will just let food rot so they can write it off taxes. Ask around before you accept this for part-time job. If you try to volunteer at soup kitchen or food pantry, they sometimes give you what is about to spoil.

Unemployment will usually let you work part-time while you receive benefits as long as your PT wages are not greater than what you get from unemployment. You need to be able to take any interviews you get for full-time work. You CANNOT decline any full-time employment except if the schedule does not work with your babysitter or your unemployment check stops immediately. I would choose second shift part-time work and maybe even try to keep it to get yourself out of financial problems once you do find another FT job.

Could switch to dollar store toiletries and food too...

Food stamps max income varies by state and local cost of living.

Craigslist has lots of part-time jobs and gigs that could get you some extra cash, maybe under table. Has all kinds of work on there but don't give out your SSN until you report to a job. I used this one time when screwed out of a job and living in expensive apartment in city...Kept me okay for the two months it took to find work again.

Maybe time to go to parent's house or sleep on friend's couch.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:38 PM

Wow galaxy, so hard to believe how bitter you are. Most, if not all, you wrote is inaccurate. People should check out their counties website. Www.your county.gov.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:00 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
My father in law has many severe health issues and applied for food stamps and also would only be about $30 a month. He was a hard working man until his health issues came up and left him unable to work. He recieves a small amount of disability and on a very fixed income.

So it sounds about right. Is there anywhere to find cheaper place to rent? The rent is quite high compared to your income. Also agree to check with food pantries or soup kitchens to help supplement the grocery expense.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:32 PM

I live in income based housing -1/3 of rent. My building is community based as opposed to county/(welfare) based so checking either way would be advisable. Since I live in a small town, there was an apartment available. The larger towns, 9 miles for closest, 75 miles for larger towns have waiting lists & there can be a lengthy wait. Check these out for your father in law.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:12 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
The organic food part killed me too. Seriously? If a person feels they need that they better find a job to support their style of living.
Kinda funny, in other threads Conservatives bash people on food stamps for eating poorly. Apparently they cant win either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living