Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 PM

109 posts, read 168,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
For anyone reading this post who may have a similar question:

Feel free to apply online and find out. Why not? It's usually not a difficult application, and your state has a whole department of people tasked with figuring it out for you.

The "maximum income" is calculated differently in every state, from what I've heard. Some states will actually give "allowances" or exclude amounts that cover some protected spending activities like childcare, etc. 14% of Maine households are on food stamps, and I've never heard that state was wracked with poverty like Alabama or something...

Many states have eliminated asset tests for food stamps, while still maintaining them for cash benefits. Other states have changed the asset limits to include much higher allowances for vehicles and primary residences.

If you're not that far over the "cut-off line", you may qualify anyway. I've always heard that lots more low-wage workers qualify for food stamps than people realize.
why not get a job?? or shop at Aldi, like I am forced to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My questions are: HOW poor do I have to be to still be approved for EBT?
I would hope poorer than still being able to shop for designer sunglasses.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...2013-site.html

Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny72 View Post
why not get a job?? or shop at Aldi, like I am forced to do...
There're people who put in a 40 hour week and still get them, having too many kids is a bother, but not illegal.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I would hope poorer than still being able to shop for designer sunglasses.
Hey, it's not a crime to check on that kind of thing, so I can do it way down the line when I'm financially ready to do so!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 AM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
There're people who put in a 40 hour week and still get them, having too many kids is a bother, but not illegal.
I'm a single father working full time. I have one child only. I receive 250 per month in EBT benefits. The wages paid in So Cal are so low that even those of us working full time a few dollars above minimum wage are still considered at or below the poverty line. If it weren't for the EBT my son and I would be eating a lot of cup o noodles.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,359 times
I live in Escondido and i am moving to Carlsbad soon, will i still be able to keep my same case?

Old 06-14-2014, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,475 times
I have The Lonestar food stamp card jointly with my wife for two months now. Last month used the benefits then got a job three weeks ago. This month have full benefits but not used yet. My wife has been unable to work for a yera now do to medical issues. Can I still used the benefitsd or will a commit fraud? Please reply.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 AM

109 posts, read 424,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosaints64 View Post
I have The Lonestar food stamp card jointly with my wife for two months now. Last month used the benefits then got a job three weeks ago. This month have full benefits but not used yet. My wife has been unable to work for a yera now do to medical issues. Can I still used the benefitsd or will a commit fraud? Please reply.
I'd report the change in earned income ASAP and see what they say to avoid any problems or loss of benefits.

Good Luck!

Old 08-02-2014, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
When I first applied for EBT/food stamps, I was unemployed. That was very early June, 2013. I've since gotten a job, but it's not full time.

My questions are: HOW poor do I have to be to still be approved for EBT? Like what dollar amount can someone make at the most to still be considered poor enough to still be approved? If I try to continue getting EBT, I suppose if it's considered enough, I'll be non-approved, end of story. Now that I have a job, I won't be made to pay back the aid amount I got before will I?
The SAD TRUTH is that HSAA San Diego is not only going to screw-up and claim "overpayment" (just like they do to everyone) and make you pay back a very large amount, but additionally, they are going to automatically reduce your "food benefit" to $15.00 a month. They did it to me when I began to receive $574.00 a month in SSA Retirement and I am homeless to boot. The allowed income limit for any "household of one" is $1245.00. I want anyone to explain to me why this is acceptable and is not insanity.
They continue to deny that they are doing anything wrong and THAT I AM COMPLIANT. They will not talk to me about it, and San Diego is the ONLY county in California searching all CalWorks applicants' homes by way of a program called P100. Check it out on the Internet. Keep your job and ditch the drag.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,399 times
What does it mean when customer service says that my reported change will process oct 10th ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living