Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Unless you get a letter in the mail telling you that they're going to stop them, yes, you can use them.
That's just it. They told me on two occasions that my food stamps would be cancelled if I failed to fill out my form and mail it back. I did not do this. They have been loading my card since May and I don't know why since I was according to them cancelled in April. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:29 AM

3 posts, read 8,238 times
I applied for stamps after I was laid off. When I spoked to my case worker he suggested that I immediately apply for unemployment benefits. He also asked me to show proof of my unemployment application, and a overhead letter from my previous job explaining why I was laid off. When I recieved all the documentations he requested, I emailed it to his address. When I sent the email he thanked me for the overhead letter, but stated I didn't needed to send him a unemployment nor income statement unless it exceeded over the maximum amount for a family of four. I applied in March and was approved in Apirl. Now it's the end of June and I recieved a letter concerning my income, it basically stated I needed to report anything that has changed since I've applied. I'm kinda nerves because I tried to report my unemployment benefits when it was approved in Apirl and he didn't accepted it, he stated he didn't need it at the time. I only recieves 247 dollars a week, do you think if I submit my documents in using the date I started recieving unemployment I would get penalize? The reason why I'm asking is because I prefilled out the from online and in red bold letters it reminded me that it has been over a month since my income has changed.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
If you got bad advice from a food stamp worker, than that's not fraud, but you might very well have to pay back the overage. Do NOT compound things by lying when you fill out that paperwork. You'll get a chance to explain everything.

It's not uncommon to get food stamps based on an income of zero, and you just assume the case workers know that you'll be getting UI soon and are factoring it in, but they don't. Then they give you misleading information about what to report.

You did nothing wrong YET, but if you start manipulating dates, you'll look like a liar and then they won't believe you when you tell the story about the conversation with your case worker, and be prepared to pay back any overpayments.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:45 AM

Default Foodstamps

I was hoping that didn't do that😞. Here's the email he sent me and also the maximum amount of income in the state of Louisiana. I have a family of four, do you think that I could possible dodge that bullet? It only allows me to post one attachment at a time. So I'll post the second one after.
Attached Thumbnails
EBT (aka Food Stamps) Question-image.jpg  

Old 07-31-2015, 03:18 AM

Default Foodstamps case

After they take taxes out of my unemployment I'm left with $222.00 a week. Which is really close to nothing! Since the hurricane the cost of living is extremely high. I consider myself lucky to find a apartment for $750.00 a month. If I wasn't a full time college student my bills and the maintenance of my household would be a devastating experience for me. I mean I'm not proud of my situation, especially because I never been on foodstamps before. You know! I never had a problem with finding a good paying job, so moving out here has been quiet a challenge for me.
If there's anyone on this website who knows of someone or works in the New Orleans metro area, I am a dependable hard working woman who has experience in management, warehouse, and security. Please reply with places you may know of that's hiring. If it's not to much to ask for, thank you😊!
Attached Thumbnails
EBT (aka Food Stamps) Question-image.jpg  

Old 07-31-2015, 03:41 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
Just because they ask you to pay it back doesn't mean you have to pay it back right that second. In a lot of cases you can keep from paying it back, but yours won't be one of them. They'll just subtract it from your future food stamp benefits.

All being told wrong gets you, is that you don't have to worry about a fraud issue and being cut off. Doesn't mean that you get to keep the money.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,718 times
I'm from queens ny but I'm upstate for a while but my card was lost can i go to a center in the city I'm in now which is upstate new york

Old 08-25-2015, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,820 times
I bought a house 2 months ago but I get ebt, if I reported the purchase of the house will this affect my availability to keep on getting ebt benefits? Should I reported to the application ? What should I do?

Old 08-26-2015, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,619 times
Ive been looking everwhwre for an answer.. when its time to renew food stamps do i receive a letter in the mail....

Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina05 View Post
Ive been looking everwhwre for an answer.. when its time to renew food stamps do i receive a letter in the mail....
You should receive a "recertification" notice and a form. If you have not received it when it is close to the time to recertify, call or go in and pick up the form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living