Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:24 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapinky0 View Post
TSP isnt banned
It sure is, in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 PM

95 posts, read 296,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It sure is, in many areas.
do you know if its banned in pennsylvania, I just ran a search but cant find that I only find that its banned from manufacturers putting it in products, I dont want to break the law lol

Old 09-04-2014, 11:12 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My personal favorite is Persil. However there are cheaper laundry detergents that do pretty good job: Ariel
I remember Persil (made by Henkel) and Ariel from when I was living in Germany, it used to come in big fiberboard buckets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Never too old to learn something new. Where do you buy it? Thank you.
You can get TSP in the paint department at the big box home improvement stores, it's used to clean walls for painting, it was taken out of laundry detergent because the suds do not break down.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Some people swear Tide is the absolute best laundry detergent, but I haven't seen much difference. I finally bought a small box to see how it works, but I've been usint it on already washed/used clothes, perhaps they are already too far gone? Or maybe I need to wash them several times in Tide to see the difference?

I've just been using the cheap stuff from Sam's club, it seems to work, but my clothes could be a bit brighter. Frankly, I don't care for the smell of Tide, but I notice they have a free and gentle version that's unscented. Does that work as well as regular tide?

Tide is one of the most expensive detergents in the marketplace. Since about 2008, Tide has been losing market share to generics and to lower cost brands as customers have been more conscious of their expenses. They rushed out Tide Simple so that they have a more reasonably priced product.

I wish that I could say that all detergents are equal. However, I can't. I started testing out some of the dollar store products. The Totally Awesome brand did not get the job done. The Oxydol (an orphan brand developed by Proctor and Gamble) actually did an excellent job. (The Totally Awesome stain remover does an excellent job.)

Since then, I have tried the major competitors - Wisk, All, Pyrex - and found that all of them do a very nice job. I am trying to keep my cost per load somewhere in the 7-9 cents per load and carefully measuring the detergent to the proper line in the cup. Most brands give you a huge cup hoeing you will use more than is needed.

The established beads are trying to recoup the lost revenues by introducing a ton of new products. For example, add Frabreze to Tide or add Downey to Tide or package dry detergent in pods or the like. If you notice, the price of a lot of these new "innovations" is creeping up to 25 cents per load.

Every time I see the Tide pods, I member Salvo detergent which was laundry detergent made in the shape of a charcoal briquette.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I love Costco's Kirkland brand... cleans just as well as Tide but for a lot less.
I agree. Name brand in a store's logo.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Rubi some people have hard water and it makes it harder to get clothes really clean, mechanics clothes farmers ect get expecially dirty TSP really gets this kind of dirty clean.
I'm going to try that! I've got super-hard water and Tide (not Simply Tide) is the only detergent that can get our clothes clean. I've tried all of the cheaper brands, and the green brands, but even with adding borax, washing soda, etc, I still need to re-wash the clothes to get them clean.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
I only buy Tide if it is on sale and I have a coupon. I usually buy Arm and Hammer.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Every time I see the Tide pods, I member Salvo detergent
which was laundry detergent made in the shape of a charcoal briquette.
Whenever I see a public fountain I'm reminded of Salvo...
and what one miscreant delinquent or another would do about 3X's a year.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:59 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
do you know if its banned in pennsylvania, I just ran a search but cant find that I only find that its banned from manufacturers putting it in products, I dont want to break the law lol
I am only doing laundry for myself these days so I buy the most inexpensive as my clothes are not soiled or stained. If I get a grease mark on something (cooking, eating mishaps from foods with any oil in them) I use Dawn dishwashing liquid and a gentle brush before I do laundry.

This site is in pdf format but it does explain the restrictions on TSP; state by state.

The ISSA State Phosphate Survey is a state-by-state review of laws and regulations that restrict the
phosphorus content of many cleaning agents and detergents. Approximately, half of the states in the
U.S. have enacted phosphate restriction laws and it is crucial that companies that manufacture,
distribute, sell or use cleaning agents and detergents understand precisely what the restrictions are
and how the various state laws differ.

First, it is important to recognize that the state laws vary as to their definition of a cleaning agent or
a detergent, although for the most part the restrictions apply to laundry and dishwashing detergents.
It is clear, therefore, that many of the products sold in the sanitary supply industry will, on their face,
be subject to these regulations.

http://www.issa.com/data/File/regula...ate_survey.pdf

Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 AM

95 posts, read 296,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I am only doing laundry for myself these days so I buy the most inexpensive as my clothes are not soiled or stained. If I get a grease mark on something (cooking, eating mishaps from foods with any oil in them) I use Dawn dishwashing liquid and a gentle brush before I do laundry.

This site is in pdf format but it does explain the restrictions on TSP; state by state.

The ISSA State Phosphate Survey is a state-by-state review of laws and regulations that restrict the
phosphorus content of many cleaning agents and detergents. Approximately, half of the states in the
U.S. have enacted phosphate restriction laws and it is crucial that companies that manufacture,
distribute, sell or use cleaning agents and detergents understand precisely what the restrictions are
and how the various state laws differ.

First, it is important to recognize that the state laws vary as to their definition of a cleaning agent or
a detergent, although for the most part the restrictions apply to laundry and dishwashing detergents.
It is clear, therefore, that many of the products sold in the sanitary supply industry will, on their face,
be subject to these regulations.

http://www.issa.com/data/File/regula...ate_survey.pdf
This is exactly what I ment when I said its against the law for companies to make and sell laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent with phosphate except for hospitals and restaurants, however its not against the law to sell phosphates on there own, and its not against the law to use them in your own laundry, and if it is it wouldnt be easily available on amazon. Thank you homelswhers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living