Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:37 AM

95 posts, read 296,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm going to try that! I've got super-hard water and Tide (not Simply Tide) is the only detergent that can get our clothes clean. I've tried all of the cheaper brands, and the green brands, but even with adding borax, washing soda, etc, I still need to re-wash the clothes to get them clean.
Be sure you get the tsp that does not say phosphate free, my hubby is always getting dirty, working on a car, or some other job that attracts unbelievable amounts of grime and grease, thats when I use the tsp with my laundry detergent, usually ariel or some other low cost detergent, it works amazingly good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
While Tide is perennially a top performer in Consumer Reports' annual laundry detergent study, I don't care for Tide at all. My personal favorite is Persil. However there are cheaper laundry detergents that do pretty good job: Ariel, Wisk, and Cheer.
I would love to try Persil, but even with my soap addiction, lol, I wont pay the high cost and shipping fees...I think when hubby asks what I want for xmas ill say Persil, lol.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
I have a septic tank and have read recently that Tide is not a good choice for it.....don't know
whether that's true or not...I still have some Tide...plus Purex and Gain.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:36 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It sure is, in many areas.

*Sigh*

It isn't TSP you want but Sodium triphosphate (STPP) and or Sodium hexametaphosphate (SHTP).
Sodium hexametaphosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sodium triphosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Combined these were the original ingredients of Calgon water softening powder (the brand name is a short for Calcium (be) Gone) since the product was invented to deal with hard water minerals in all sorts of applications from steam boilers to laundry.

Trisodium phosphate (TSP) while still a member of the phosphate family is not the same as the above at all. For one thing it is far more basic then either of the two aforementioned. So much so that TSP is used to clean walls before painting.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*Sigh*

It isn't TSP you want but Sodium triphosphate (STPP) and or Sodium hexametaphosphate (SHTP).
Sodium hexametaphosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sodium triphosphate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Combined these were the original ingredients of Calgon water softening powder (the brand name is a short for Calcium (be) Gone) since the product was invented to deal with hard water minerals in all sorts of applications from steam boilers to laundry.

Trisodium phosphate (TSP) while still a member of the phosphate family is not the same as the above at all. For one thing it is far more basic then either of the two aforementioned. So much so that TSP is used to clean walls before painting.
I also think STPP was the correct phosphate used in detergents, most people have luck with the TSP me included, and the STPP is impossible to find in stores and have to order it online and pay shipping fees. I havent had a problem with it in my laundry, but I only use it occasionally, hopefully everyone that deciddes to use the tsp does a bit of research first.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:14 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I learned something very strange about Tide just now...

I was reading the I AMA section of Reddit, posted by a grocery store manager, and this is what he said:

"A big problem recently has become the theft of Tide laundry detergent as it is used as an underground currency for drugs etc. This has become a major issue, but we implement an array of anti theft devices to combat it."

Then someone posted a link to this article: How Tide Detergent Became a Drug Currency -- New York Magazine

Who would have thought such a thing... I was surprised.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
The only thing that compares to Tide is Sears powder detergent. I don't like powder, so I use Tide.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:57 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
I'm also a costco Kirklands brand shopper. I'm not even sure what the exact cost per load is but I do know it's priced better than tide and I've seen no reason to not use it

Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I use whatever is on sale, Tide, Arm & Hammer, ALL, Purex, Cheer...I haven't tried anything from Costco or Walmart or store brands. Sometimes I buy something different just to switch thing up if price is pretty equal.

My laundry isn't especially dirty though and if I have a food stain I use something else on it first.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Mom swears by it but I am an Arm & Hammer powdered gal. DH was a mechanic, never had a problem with stains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living