Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Oh, I don't buy through the registry.....

If they're registered at Target for example, IF I bought off their list, I'd go to Target and get the gift in person.
I suppose that wouldn't work if you're buying for someone across the country, though.

What if you bought them the item and then someone else bought the same item, but through the registry? Then they would have two.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:58 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I buy all the nephews and nieces the same gift and plan to be in the future. I do NOT look at gift registries or the like.

Just curious...what do you buy them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
What if you bought them the item and then someone else bought the same item, but through the registry? Then they would have two.

True...even though it is on the registry I would not buy it somewhere else because others wouldn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
I buy all the nephews and nieces the same gift and plan to be in the future. I do NOT look at gift registries or the like.
I buy them a spice cabinet with approximately 35 different herbs and spices.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I buy them a spice cabinet with approximately 35 different herbs and spices.

Cool and on that train of thought I love this for a housewarming gift or one for a cook. I got one last Christmas and think it is pretty neat It's not expensive but really useful.

https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Class...ith+mats&psc=1

Old 08-07-2018, 05:19 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
If I can toot my own horn....it's never happen yet.
That's how creative my gift giving is....no one thinks of the things I do.
And they're things that the person would like to have but never buy for themselves. So the gifts are always a hit.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If I can toot my own horn....it's never happen yet.
That's how creative my gift giving is....no one thinks of the things I do.
And they're things that the person would like to have but never buy for themselves. So the gifts are always a hit.

Ah...I thought you meant if it was "on" a registry you would buy it elsewhere or at the store if it was cheaper. but it wouldn't go "off" the registry list.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:58 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Cool and on that train of thought I love this for a housewarming gift or one for a cook. I got one last Christmas and think it is pretty neat It's not expensive but really useful.

The one that I buy is $250 so it is NOT inexpensive. However, if you had to assemble one from scratch, you would pay a lot morein theory.

I have been buying from Penzey ... however, I think that I will be assembling one from scratch ... if I can find a well made spice rack.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:31 PM

813 posts, read 402,553 times
I like to keep it simple and just buy through the registry. There are always a range of prices as long as you do not procrastinate.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
No, you don't have to buy off the registry.

My opinion is that it is very poor manners for a wedding couple to send out a demand list that only includes very expensive items from a high priced store.

Gift wish lists really should include a wide range of prices and a considerate couple will register at more than one store to accomodate the different income levels of their guests.

The registry is to reduce duplicates and also to make gift China and silver come in the same pattern. If duplicates are received, a thank you note is issued, and one of the items is returned and exchanged.

This idea of demanding expensive gifts, and only the expensive one desired, is very self centered. All gifts should be appriciated and well behaved thanks given instead of sulking because one's demands weren't met.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
We don’t buy wedding gifts. We give cash, which you would think people would appreciate. But they don’t.

My late MIL was very generous with cash gifts. She wasn’t wealthy but she had a steady income stream from pensions and investments. I think the younger generation decided that if they got $10K or $20K it wasn’t extraordinarily lavish, it was the very least they deserved. And so their expectations were set.

In my world the calculus is simple: Someone gives you a gift. You thank the giver. Even if you think the gift is beneath you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living