Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 05:48 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
YouTube TV is a streaming service that offers all local channels in its package. No antenna required.
30 bucks+ per month? (I may be off on the price). Why? A one time payment of 50 dollars +\- will get you the locals for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 05:51 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've wondered about antennas, too. Mostly because I have one smart TV that has one of its inputs as "TV" and if it's selected, it will attempt to tune to local channels, like it shows the channel number and letters but it does not actually have the signal, there is no audio or video, just a black screen with the numbers and letters of the station in the corner.

I have no idea if this TV has some kind of built in antenna, and it's potentially able to get local TV, or if I need to actually connect an antenna...
All TVs can get broadcast channels — it's required, by FCC regulation, that they have full channel reception range if they have a tuner of any kind. No tuner, no RF/Antenna input, and it's a "monitor."

But no modern TV (that I know of) has a built-in antenna any more. It's possible that some models in city locations with very, very strong signals could pick up a channel or two, but for the most part, an external antenna, even a small wall-mount one, is needed.

The first step is to use the FCC channel strength web page to see if your location (down to your address, not generically by city) has any channels that can be received, and if so, how many at what general levels of strength. If you have one or more "green" channels, it's worth adding an inexpensive antenna so that you can get local broadcasts. A few green and a lot of "yellow" channels, you'll need a bigger/higher/amplified antenna to get much.

I've suggested that libraries have a medium-size interior antenna that can be checked out for a week.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:22 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
30 bucks+ per month? (I may be off on the price). Why? A one time payment of 50 dollars +\- will get you the locals for free.
It has way more than locals. If all you want are locals, yes, an antenna is better, I was assuming the OP wanted locals in addition to cable channels.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:25 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,196,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
It has way more than locals. If all you want are locals, yes, an antenna is better, I was assuming the OP wanted locals in addition to cable channels.
Don't underestimate "locals." Most areas have 12-15 channels that can be received with a modest antenna, and each channel has up to three subchannels. A lot of them are niche or crap, but it's far more than just the handful of network affiliates and a few indies.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:59 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,621 times
Buy a digital antenna. We bought ours on Amazon.com.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:23 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,011 times
I use a Leaf antenna bought off Amazon for broadcast TV. It's an inside antenna and I've been pretty happy with it. Your reception will depend on what's between the TV tower and the antenna. This website may help you predict what you are able to watch with an antenna. https://antennaweb.org. Alternatively, most major broadcast companies (ABC, CBS NBC, PBS CNN etc.) also sell Apps that you can use with FireTV, Roku, and others to stream their content, sometimes including live TV like your local news. Check what Amazon has on offer. But, be aware that most of these Apps offered free start charging after the first month--still a good deal if you use them. And, easy to delete if you don't.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:31 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times
We cut the cord over 7 years ago. We were lucky enough to live in an area with FIOS. So, streaming was a no brainer. We had 4 set top boxes. The rental fees for those is insane. Not to mention all of the FCC fees, taxes, etc. We started adding up the yearly costs. Over $3000/yr. We figured that was a nice vacation annually that we could go on with $3000.

So, we cut the cord. We got FIOS 25/25 down/up for $50/month and never looked back. Now we have 1gb/1gb. Lord knows we don't miss cable. 75% of the channels were crap anyway.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:03 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,236,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
simple answer- because i don't want only local channels.
i cancelled my youtuvetv for now because i wasn't watching it much, but once sports comes back i'm turning it back on.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:36 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I have this: https://www.vizio.com/en/watch-free

Old 06-13-2020, 10:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Antenna. We rarely use it, though. I read most of my local news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living