Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:22 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
So glad we cut out YoutubeTV, the monthly price went up to $65.
yea i got an email about this. i'm still grandfathered in at 50 dollars until october. i plan on turning it back one once sports start up then turning it off again after baseball season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 02:35 PM

440 posts, read 240,170 times
All you need is a wire you can strip on one end to stick into the coax antenna plug center hole. Try 6 ft of wire. If it copper wire, sandpaper the end to clean off the copper oxide until it is shiny, and then plug unto coax hole.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:02 PM

325 posts, read 163,640 times
depending on your location there OP you can use locast.org if you have a smart t.v. or a roku or an apple t.v

Old 10-12-2020, 05:49 PM

949 posts, read 788,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't think an internal TV Tuner card is very cost-effective. For $89 from Walmart you can get a brand new 24" Class 720P HD LED Roku Smart TV (.onn Model:100012590) which weighs less than 6 lbs. My guess is your monitor is smaller than 24".
I finally got the Hauppauge PCI-E single channel card. I use a 32" monitor with my computer. That size is sufficient for watching TV in my apartment-sized living room. I didn't want any more monitors and the audio is already connected to my stereo and my vintage JBL 3-way floor speakers. I can easily switch back and forth from TV to free streamed video from the web.

The card works great. It cost me $60 from Amazon. The price seems to continually change. I am using an antenna with a signal booster, that I bought about 20 years ago. I get all the major networks and then some. The remote control leaves a bit to be desired, but I only wanted this to watch NFL games since the Raiders moved to Las Vegas.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:38 AM

712 posts, read 554,854 times
My husband and I cut the cable over a year ago. We still have high-speed internet, a roku tv and believe it or not, the cheapest flimsy over the air antenna that cost us like $25. It was made super cheap too. My husband was really concerned it wouldn't hold up in the elements so he mounted it inside our attic. We ran the cables we had already down to our tv. I am consistently impressed with the stations we get and the clarity inside the attic. Everyone said, well it isn't going to work but it does. I honestly think though you need a smart tv for this to really work well.

We do enjoy the availability of free stations on the roku like pluto also. With being retired we love the fact we no longer have dish.

Also with our roku we were able to attach a jump drive to the tv and can pause and rewind live tv.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:55 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I just stream now with one of the new Chromecasts that does everything I could want. I don't watch sports or news so it's been an easy transition for me.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:26 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
There will be one of those little coax connections in the back of your TV. If you are anywhere near a town, you just get a set of rabbit ears, screw those into the TV and set them on top of the TV. You will probably have to turn them around a bit to find the strongest signal.

In my area there are several channels free over the air: the big three networks (CBS ABC NBS) Fox, Quest, Ion, and two different channels of PBS.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:27 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Adding, you can buy rabbit ears that have a remote so that you can adjust them while sitting in your easy chair.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Purchase a streaming device. You need Wi-Fi for it. I have a Roku brand device.

An HD antenna will get you stations if you have a lot of repeaters in your area. I think you would because of your location which I presume is near a big city.

Where I live is a more remote area and all I can get on an antenna is about 4 channels. So a streaming device was my choice.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:38 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Tried an antenna a few years ago. Zero signal because of large buildings between us and the transmitters. Took it back to Beast Buys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living