Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 03:05 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times

Advertisements

Cut cable. Installed a $30 antenna where my DISH was. (Easy to use the existing coax.)
Get everything from Santa Barbara to Rosarito Beach, Mexico. Out to Yuma. I dunno, maybe 100 channels or so. (And not a one of 'em has "Do you poop enough?" for programming.) Silly, but true.

Still not as good as my little Bose radio. On late Sunday nights, I can get The Bay area, the Denver Bronco Home station & Salt Lake City. Pretty amazing with a di-pole antenna. If it weren't for the coastal mountain range East of me, I could probably get Albuquerque, Tucson, and maybe El Paso. Maybe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 03:10 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Library card?

Old 11-03-2020, 08:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
depending on your location there OP you can use locast.org if you have a smart t.v. or a roku or an apple t.v
The last time I tried using Locast They nag you for a donation every 15 minutes then kick you off back to the channel menu.

I have a Clearstream 4V antenna on my roof about 20 miles W of downtown Chicago and get 72 channels. I also watch stuff on the internet a lot. However, my interest in TV lately has been declining to almost nothing. I sometimes will turn on the radio rather than TV.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:04 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
my wife has said she is ok with cutting the cord but since i still need internet and a land phone line, i dont really think there is enough of a savings to warrant the change.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:49 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Library card?
No reception.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No reception.
This made me chuckle. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2020, 10:13 AM

483 posts, read 623,579 times
A HD antenna paired with Netflix and Prime gave us more TV channel options than we could ever have enough time to watch for the last 6 years.

A recent relocation required us to get the full Spectrum pkg of TV-Net-Phone which was cheaper bundled for the 1st 12 months anyway. Then we'll have to play the cancel/re-connect game with them for another 12 mo cycle.

We used the Leaf indoor wall mounted antenna. It worked very good in the central coastal CA area and we got all of the local channels crystal clear.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:27 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Soooo....if I understand the metaphor correctly, "the cord" now bundles in many things, which are increasingly difficult to separate. Via big provider here in Puget Sound area, they "want" you to have triple play:

1) Cable TV
2) Internet service...the pipe
3) VoIP phone service.

I "cut" 1) and 3) by strolling into the local retail and asking them for one thing and one thing only: gigabit service for Internet...the pipe. The rest I'll handle separately.

They did this, with minimal fuss, for what is at-current $70/month. I subscribe to Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime (video, music, shipping service). All are used more or less daily. The rest is irrelevant, vapid at-best and enemy propaganda at-worst and I was right to not have cable for 20 years c. 1991-2011. 2011-19, I re-subscribed, which was a heinous error and waste of who knows how much $$ in retrospect.

No more.

The idea of rabbit ears or the modern equivalent on a "TV" is amusing, though I suppose per this thread it is possible for a limited selection of channels. Guess you'd handle Internet access separately, who knows how depending on location. Different parts of the US have different limitations, for sure. Seattle area is well-connected for various reasons and it's nice to have those choices.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:24 AM

3,529 posts, read 3,731,599 times
I recently cut cable after a long while of "should I, or shouldn't I?" And for now, I have zero qualms about it. The constant price increases were conflicting quite heavily with my reduction in consumption of Hollywood products of all kinds. Setting those products aside, I will miss live hockey games, but I have found the free recaps on YouTube to be sufficient in keeping up with what's going on in the league. There were a few other shows or channels that I liked, and being able to cruise multiple channels on a relaxing evening was equally nice, but so is saving $100 a month on a declining-value (to me) product.

I have no other paid TV services of any kind, just a $70 internet bill and free YouTube. I could even cancel that and just use my cell phone internet for $35 a month, but I'm not into that kind of inefficiency.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:10 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
We have antennas and it’s better audio and surround sound and no startup delay due to buffering. But we pay $54.99 for internet, $15 for land line, which I’m going to try to cut this next year, last year we paid more and they went up every year. I believe we paid $75 fr AT&T for both Internet or landline and $49.99 for Youtube TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living