Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 03:48 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
All TVs can get broadcast channels — it's required, by FCC regulation, that they have full channel reception range if they have a tuner of any kind. No tuner, no RF/Antenna input, and it's a "monitor."

But no modern TV (that I know of) has a built-in antenna any more. It's possible that some models in city locations with very, very strong signals could pick up a channel or two, but for the most part, an external antenna, even a small wall-mount one, is needed.

The first step is to use the FCC channel strength web page to see if your location (down to your address, not generically by city) has any channels that can be received, and if so, how many at what general levels of strength. If you have one or more "green" channels, it's worth adding an inexpensive antenna so that you can get local broadcasts. A few green and a lot of "yellow" channels, you'll need a bigger/higher/amplified antenna to get much.

I've suggested that libraries have a medium-size interior antenna that can be checked out for a week.

And if you have a couple yellow and several brown. You need to get cable or satellite. I'm 50 miles from two major metro areas but only get yellow on 2 second tier UHF stations! because of the hills/mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 03:50 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
And if you have a couple yellow and several brown. You need to get cable or satellite. I'm 50 miles from two major metro areas but only get yellow on 2 second tier UHF stations! because of the hills/mountains.
Yep. Lived in hilly rural country where a 60' antenna would have brought me 3 channels. It varied almost by lot because of the terrain.

However, you can still get streaming in place of either cable or sat.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:35 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Buy a digital antenna. We bought ours on Amazon.com.
There is no such thing as a “digital” antenna. Complete marketing scam.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 704 times
Antenna for us. I put an RCA Yagi ($40) antenna in our attic hooked up to the wiring/splitters/amps from previous cable/satellite subscriptions. Get 70 plus channels in Orlando area and with my TiVo we're good. BUT, still need internet. Let's call internet a utility, as it is needed for so many functions in our lives. It also happens to provide streaming video & internet surfing too! Monthly recurring cost for Internet, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix & Over the Air TV - about $95.
Check out PlutoTV too.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Yep. Lived in hilly rural country where a 60' antenna would have brought me 3 channels. It varied almost by lot because of the terrain.

However, you can still get streaming in place of either cable or sat.

but the only highspeed internet to get streaming is thru the cable company ....

Old 06-16-2020, 08:57 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
but the only highspeed internet to get streaming is thru the cable company ....
It's still a different service. Not one they can yank around on you, not nearly as much as the television and other services.

If your goal is not to do business with Comcast or whomever, that's a different argument.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:41 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Before you spend the money on an antenna, check which stations you can get in your area: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

If the signal strength is green, you can probably get away with a cheap HD antenna - Walmart has some.

We have a Mohu leaf antenna, they are good, but they're not that cheap.

You may be surprised at how many channels you can get OTA.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
It's still a different service. Not one they can yank around on you, not nearly as much as the television and other services.

If your goal is not to do business with Comcast or whomever, that's a different argument.

Last time I checked the difference between basic cable with internet and just internet was minimal unless you qualified for subsidized service. All due to bundling.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Before you spend the money on an antenna, check which stations you can get in your area: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

If the signal strength is green, you can probably get away with a cheap HD antenna - Walmart has some.

We have a Mohu leaf antenna, they are good, but they're not that cheap.

You may be surprised at how many channels you can get OTA.
Very good advice.
I did the same before I purchased an OTA.

I looked into buying a Leaf but ultimately went with a 1 by One, available on Amazon for under $25.00.

It’s works fine in my area. I get all of the locals, including both PBS stations, as well as channels like StartTV, COZI, ION and ION Plus, which air reruns of shows that I am perfectly happy to watch.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:26 AM

565 posts, read 282,095 times
Quote:
Last time I checked the difference between basic cable with internet and just internet was minimal unless you qualified for subsidized service. All due to bundling.
In our community there are no additional taxes/fees for internet only service. A basic TV package comes with about four or five different taxes and fees that really add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living