Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 05:18 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,861 times

Advertisements

No I won’t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 07:48 AM

6,346 posts, read 2,901,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I knew a couple where the guy was super frugal. He used to buy banana boxes of cans, not only dented but with missing labels. He thought it was fun to open a couple and have a surprise supper. His wife, not so much. They didn't last long as a couple..
That sounds like a fun game. I've never seen label-less cans. I wonder if you can tell anything by shaking them. But if it's cheap enough I will eat just about anything - including butter beans.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:48 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
No. I don't buy dented cans. I will buy boxes that have been smashed and taped. I shopped in the reduced price portions of the store. I find a lot of stuff for half price that way.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:49 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
That sounds like a fun game. I've never seen label-less cans. I wonder if you can tell anything by shaking them. But if it's cheap enough I will eat just about anything - including butter beans.
I think you can figure out what is in the can by looking up the stamped codes. I read that food banks do that becuase they have to know what they are giving away.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
No. I don't buy dented cans. I will buy boxes that have been smashed and taped. I shopped in the reduced price portions of the store. I find a lot of stuff for half price that way.
You know that might be more dangerous. If it's taped it could have been opened, poisoned and resealed. I still remember the Tylenol poisonings.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:53 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
You know that might be more dangerous. If it's taped it could have been opened, poisoned and resealed. I still remember the Tylenol poisonings.
I would think that they'd be boxes with an inner bag.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:11 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
I've been eating them for decades and never had a problem. Dented boxes too. Got some Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies half off the other day. I get them all the time like that. A couple of cookies might be broken. What's the big deal?
Oh, that's not a problem. I buy those myself as well. I am talking about seriously damaged CANNED food where the rims are already rusted and the inner lining broken.
I also noticed in those freight damaged food stores frozen food that looks like stored in the freezers for years. All mixed up - meat and fish, and some bread, even sweets. Heavily covered with ice and mostly unrecognisable by the look.
I actually wondered if they ever get visited by health inspectors.
Some stuff is still worth the visit: dry goods, coffee, spices... just check on the expiration dates. They also sell non food items that are worth consideration.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, that's not a problem. I buy those myself as well. I am talking about seriously damaged CANNED food where the rims are already rusted and the inner lining broken.
I also noticed in those freight damaged food stores frozen food that looks like stored in the freezers for years. All mixed up - meat and fish, and some bread, even sweets. Heavily covered with ice and mostly unrecognisable by the look.
I actually wondered if they ever get visited by health inspectors.
Some stuff is still worth the visit: dry goods, coffee, spices... just check on the expiration dates. They also sell non food items that are worth consideration.
The date on the food isn't really an expiration date, it's a best sell date. The discount place I go has that explanation printed on the end cap.

Quote:
Labels On Cans

Canned foods don’t have an expiration date. Rather, the two main labels you’ll find on cans include the “best-by” or “use-by” date. Here is what these terms mean:

• “Best-By” Date: This is the recommended time to use the product for the best physical and/or sensory quality. The date is recommended by the food manufacturer.

• “Use-By” Date: This term refers to the final days that the product will be at its peak freshness, flavor and texture. After this date, the quality of the food deteriorates, but it is still edible. This date is recommended by the food manufacturer.

According to the Can Manufacturer’s Institute, “canning is a high-heat process, so it preserves food and prevents the growth of any bad organisms. Canned food is forever safe, but it’s a quality issue when you have a 'best-by' or 'use-by' date.” You should use your canned foods within a couple of years for the best quality of the product.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthye...xpiration-date

I eat cans past the date all the time. No biggie!

Old 10-10-2020, 12:55 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
The date on the food isn't really an expiration date, it's a best sell date. The discount place I go has that explanation printed on the end cap.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthye...xpiration-date

I eat cans past the date all the time. No biggie!

I KNOW what that means, but I found there stuff off not by few days or weeks, but few years. Great wine would be ok, but not mayonnaise or dented meat cans.
The place here in my town is so packed with all that food and other findings that I am pretty sure the people running it aren't doing any inventory for years, if ever. They just stack more stuff on the top of existing stuff and customers are going on treasure hunting on self serve basis.
I would post a picture, but it wouldn't be for the faint of heart.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:21 PM

I've eaten cans a couple of years past the date as long as it looks OK when I open it. Sometimes it looks a bit dried up so I toss it. Doesn't happen often. I got a can of chili like that the other month. It wasn't dry but it wasn't as liquidy as usual. Got a great deal on Zegrid over the weekend. Two boxes for $7 each. Not even expired. That's $40 in savings right there. Also found some Ranitidine that should have been tossed since it's off the market. It's a stupid panic because some unethical lab heated it up before they tested it and cause it to break down into NDMA which isn't even that bad. It's in lots of foods like lettuce, but it's in theory a possible carcinogen so people freaked out and some ambulance chasing lawyers filed a class action and now everyone thinks they're going to die. I see boxes on sale of ebay for $40 -$80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living