Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 05:28 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Please ASK the library first if they want them. Some don't.
The county library here has an annual book sale (prior to COVID-19), so they accept donations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 10:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The angst is quickly replaced by relief once this stuff is gone.
I HAVE noticed that, having brought a few boxes and bags to both my local humane society thrift store and Goodwill (not my favorite charity, but just junky items I can't bear to throw into a landfill). Relief and also a fleeting but satisfying sense of virtue, LOL.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:12 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
The way to generate the most valuable return on no longer used items is to donate them. Donate to local charities. Donate to the church yard sale. Donate to [any place]. When you donate items to charities, the return on your investment is immeasurable.

I sold my house and could not take any furniture or furnishings with me. I donated everything. First to family and friends. They came and took what they wanted. Then I arranged for charity after charity to drive trucks up my driveway and load up.

I didn't even ask for receipts for tax purposes. The feeling was truly liberating and wonderful. Instant "I am a good person" boost.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:33 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I realize that those are my only choices; I was just curious how other frugal people dispose of unwanted items.

Without angst.
What angst? I don't consider myself really that frugal in every area, but neither am I a spendthrift. If I have things that I no longer want and don't want to take the time to sell, I stick it in the car, drive up to DAV and drop it off. No angst.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
There are 3rd party sellers who will market and ship your items. (Mobile consignment shop). For stuff with heritage or special interest / benefit to others I would have those sold, but most likely to donate or give away.

I use Habitat, and Salvation Army quite a bit. Also I contribute to fundraiser garage / thrift sales. (Usually hosted by youth group or band / choir needing to raise funds for service projects or traveling.

There will be a few huge estate sales very soon.

I have recommended they be auctions / quick and complete liquidation in one day.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:47 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
"they be auctions"?

Old 04-02-2021, 09:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"they be auctions"?
Yes... My estate sales must be auctions...(sold and gone in one day). Way too much to sell individually. Dozers, (3) machine shops, (2) complete woodshops, auto shops, tractors, trailers, 12 motorcycles, 40+ cars, ....tools... Semi truck loads of tools. (Many from my grandfather's farms)

Hope many people get bargains and spouse / heirs get a long trip overseas.

And none of them get stuck with my stuff...!

Old 04-02-2021, 11:29 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
There was a good thread here on CD a few years back, "Nobody wants your old stuff". Meaning, nobody wants to pay for your old stuff, especially furniture. There are obvious exceptions, such as classic cars, high quality art, valuable jewelry, etc.

I never accumulated a lot of stuff, so when it came time to downsize, there was not a lot to part with. Things that I got rid of had been used for decades, so I got my money's worth from them. At first there was a bit of regret with giving away long-held items, but once the first batch of stuff was given away, it got easier.

Last year when I came here to Germany to live for a year or more, I arrived with one 50 lb duffel bag of clothes, and my bicycle packed in a box. My remaining possessions fit easily into a 10'x10' storage unit that I rent in Tucson.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:14 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,697,068 times
Easy? Consignment stores. Drop off, get paid about 40% of the sales price when/if it sells.
Top dollar? Shippable items, eBay. Big items, Facebook Marketplace.
We are a six figure seller. There is no magic, you just have to do it.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:18 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
I repeat, unless you disparately need money, donate. There are people who live a frugal live not out of choice. Help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living