Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:08 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times

Advertisements

Otter here, I worked for the state and we had a joint program with goodwill for our clients and I know for a fact that you are hurting them and not helping. Why would you want to do that? I personally find it horrible behavior. It’s one thing not to know better but you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 01:01 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Otter here, I worked for the state and we had a joint program with goodwill for our clients and I know for a fact that you are hurting them and not helping. Why would you want to do that? I personally find it horrible behavior. It’s one thing not to know better but you do.

Really? You're wasting BOTH our time on C-D with THIS?

I don't donate GARBAGE. These are items not quite posh enough for our rather upscale and very picky (they get tons of donations) humane society thrift store, but perfectly useable, so I donate it Goodwill. They are comparable to things I have bought at Goodwill myself. In fact, they may very well be the very things I have bought at Goodwill myself. Maybe they can sell it again. If not, they can toss it, but if there's a chance it can be sold, I'll take that chance rather than 100% surely fill a landfill with it.

Perhaps you'll have better luck "teaching" someone on another thread.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:21 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Otter, I apologize but the way you worded your posts I wasn’t the only poster that thought that’s what you were doing. Again I am sorry I misunderstood. As you can tell this is a issue that I really care about.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:28 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Using Goodwill as your garbage service is not cool at all...
Agreed. I unload excess things via Freecycle--either directly to folks who I know are resellers or are looking for something specific (I always check the "Wanted" postings before listing items). It's a closed group, so you don't get the randos from CL or Marketplace and they tend to show up when they say that they will.

Other things I sell on CL or Marketplace. Once I've exhausted those options, the last stop for usable, quality items is the local thrift store.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Agreed. I unload excess things via Freecycle--either directly to folks who I know are resellers or are looking for something specific (I always check the "Wanted" postings before listing items). It's a closed group, so you don't get the randos from CL or Marketplace and they tend to show up when they say that they will.

Other things I sell on CL or Marketplace.
Well, "time is money," and I'm certainly not going individually list every little item worth $1-5 on an online selling site and then have to deal with each seller (and probably end up donating it anyway) when I can just toss them in a bag or box, drop it off, and be done with it. Our little town doesn't even have a "Freecycle."

But you do you!

Old 04-11-2021, 01:44 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
Auction houses can be spotty, it all depends on who's out that day. I haven't used a pawnbroker since the '70's. Their offers are only if you're desperate. I'm on a few speciality forums and tend to use them more frequently.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:19 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Throwing away stuff not good enough to sell is a huge expense for thrift stores. You are hurting them when you do that. If you wouldn’t buy it yourself don’t donate it. Give stuff away by posting on Nextdoor, etc and put it outside so people can pick it up without a hassle to you.
Agree 100%. I don't understand why people think a thrift shop is a dumpster. Fill up your own damn trash can or put it out to the curb. And honestly, most neighborhoods have one or two resourceful folks that drive by a few times a week looks for items that they can use or make something out of. I had 2 old iron tiki torches that I had not used in many years. I knew they were not anything someone would buy, so I laid them at the curb and waited a couple of weeks to do a bulk pickup. They were gone in a week.

And posting free stuff on Next Door works great! I have done that many many times.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Otter, I apologize but the way you worded your posts I wasn’t the only poster that thought that’s what you were doing. Again I am sorry I misunderstood. As you can tell this is a issue that I really care about.
Agreed. He has an odd way of replying - I though the exact same thing.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I had 2 old iron tiki torches that I had not used in many years. I knew they were not anything someone would buy, so I laid them at the curb and waited a couple of weeks to do a bulk pickup. They were gone in a week.
Or maybe some people have reading comprehension problems...

Why in the world would you think no one would buy tiki torches?

Apparently they were an item someone would want since someone snapped them up (I assume not just for the scrap metal value).

And had that person not just happened to wander by (not many happen to wander by my house), they would've contributed to the landfill problem instead because of you.

I'm good with bringing my still-usable/sellable things to Goodwill. You do you!

Old 04-13-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Or maybe some people have reading comprehension problems...

Why in the world would you think no one would buy tiki torches?

Apparently they were an item someone would want since someone snapped them up (I assume not just for the scrap metal value).

And had that person not just happened to wander by (not many happen to wander by my house), they would've contributed to the landfill problem instead because of you.

I'm good with bringing my still-usable/sellable things to Goodwill. You do you!
Nope. It's not me. It's you.

No one would have bought them as they no longer worked - the tops were rusty and they looked horrible. Yes - they were SCRAP. The dude that grabbed them was a scrap metal guy. He is exactly the type of person I was referring to. He actually takes old castoff stuff and RECYCLES it into useable items. But apparently you have issues with that and would rather just dump stuff. Go you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living